50 pubs a month closing in England and Wales.

Started by papasmurf, September 24, 2024, 11:30:12 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 24, 2024, 02:42:24 PM
That link is over a quarter of a century old . Recent legislation has stopped pubs being allowed to change use (ie supermarkets, mosque ,playschool ect) under permitted development . They now have to go to planning so communities can object to change of use which saves on the matches . There was talk from CAMRA that they were pushing for communities to be given first refusal when pubs came up for sale but Im not sure how far they have got with that .I try to go into a pub every time I leave the house . Just a pint or three ,keeps you in loop whats happening locally and of course its always good to talk .
I know how old the link is. The problem with your response is there were very few indigenous Brits left in the area to do what you suggest. (Now there are even less.) Where I live several pubs have been purchased by the communities around them to keep them as pubs.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2024, 12:54:38 PM
Nick I suggest reading all of the story at the link. The pub was attacked with the reason being it was wanted for a mosque.
That link is over a quarter of a century old . Recent legislation has stopped pubs being allowed to change use (ie supermarkets, mosque ,playschool ect) under permitted development . They now have to go to planning so communities can object to change of use which saves on the matches . There was talk from CAMRA that they were pushing for communities to be given first refusal when pubs came up for sale but Im not sure how far they have got with that .
Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2024, 12:53:13 PM
I rarely go to pubs now and have not done so for years because of cost. I don't drink at home much either, except for the occasional drink of rum or single malt whisky.
I try to go into a pub every time I leave the house . Just a pint or three ,keeps you in loop whats happening locally and of course its always good to talk .

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 24, 2024, 12:52:47 PM
Why does that matter? If the pub closes then anyone has the right to buy it and subject to planning can do what they want with it.
Nick I suggest reading all of the story at the link. The pub was attacked with the reason being it was wanted for a mosque.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 24, 2024, 12:40:26 PM
As Barry has highlighted the public house has been hammered at every turn in recent years .
I rarely go to pubs now and have not done so for years because of cost. I don't drink at home much either, except for the occasional drink of rum or single malt whisky. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2024, 12:16:43 PM
I wonder how many pubs have been turned into mosques?  The pub in this old news item did end up as a mosque:-

ARSONISTS ATTACK PUB THREE TIMES | Bucks Free Press
Why does that matter? If the pub closes then anyone has the right to buy it and subject to planning can do what they want with it.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

As Barry has highlighted the public house has been hammered at every turn in recent years . What governments and the Westminster bubble in particular fail to understand is that the pub is the hub of the community and needs protection with less taxation not more . They provide a service that could never be replaced as job centres , community help and advice , warm rooms in winter and most important maybe just somewhere to talk to other people .
There are other reasons they close ,like owners cashing in by selling viable pubs  for development but any more taxation will be a killer for many .

Without them the country would be a sad place ,the country's mental health is at stake .

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2024, 12:17:55 PM
They can't afford to drink in pubs.
It's to do with supermarkets selling booze at really low prices, kids getting smashed and going out at 2am after the pubs are closed. I see them at 8 or 9 in the morning staggering home, change of habits. Everyone will complain when they are all gone, same as Libraries, never though to use them when they were here.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 24, 2024, 12:07:31 PM
It has nothing really to do with expenses, it's down to people not drinking in pubs anymore, 
They can't afford to drink in pubs.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 24, 2024, 11:42:28 AM

The pubs have been treated pretty shabbily. It's not helped by the Islamification of some areas.
I wonder how many pubs have been turned into mosques?  The pub in this old news item did end up as a mosque:-

ARSONISTS ATTACK PUB THREE TIMES | Bucks Free Press

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2024, 11:30:12 AM
I am surprised it isn't more, given the price of booze.

England and Wales see 50 pubs close each month as industry braces for tax increase and end (msn.com)

The hospitality sector is reeling from recent figures indicating an alarming rate of pub closures across England and Wales. On average, 50 establishments have shut down each month in the first half of the year as they grapple with soaring expenses and hefty tax burdens.

Latest data from property advisor Altus reveals that the total tally of pubs has seen a downturn, slumping to 39,096 by mid-2024. This marks a significant drop from 39,401 at the end of the previous year.

It has nothing really to do with expenses, it's down to people not drinking in pubs anymore, an increase in prices can sort that out. Tim Martin highlighted this years ago when he pointed out that until supermarkets are governed by the same rule as pubs, pubs will continue to close.

Barry

If you remember, the pubs were targeted in the scamdemic, people were not allowed to go to the pub, then the energy prices were increased, so not only did they lose customers, their overheads became unmanageable.
In the village I was living in the only pub resorted to providing takeaway food, which was lovely and we supported them in that, but it still closed.
It has re-opened now under new management but a lot of money has been lost.

Remember all the nonsense over Scotch eggs, putting on masks in pubs except when eating?
Then the "eat out to help out"?
The pubs have been treated pretty shabbily. It's not helped by the Islamification of some areas.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

I am surprised it isn't more, given the price of booze.

England and Wales see 50 pubs close each month as industry braces for tax increase and end (msn.com)

The hospitality sector is reeling from recent figures indicating an alarming rate of pub closures across England and Wales. On average, 50 establishments have shut down each month in the first half of the year as they grapple with soaring expenses and hefty tax burdens.

Latest data from property advisor Altus reveals that the total tally of pubs has seen a downturn, slumping to 39,096 by mid-2024. This marks a significant drop from 39,401 at the end of the previous year.