Main Menu

No TV licence?

Started by Barry, September 24, 2024, 03:21:44 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Barry on Today at 06:58:27 PMYou might be at least partly right.
I can't find any reports of the BBC refusing to broadcast any of Trump's speeches.
But the BBC did cherry pick a statement by him, put it up on the screen, when "BBC Verify" (cough, rolls eyes) could have immediately said it was untrue.
They could as could have ITV, Sky, CNN etc but then all four of them are far smarter than to make judgements for their audience and just look like a government mouthpiece.

Like it or not, good news broadcasting means presenting comments you and I and even that man at the chip shop will at times think are very wrong. 

srb7677

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on Today at 06:49:24 PMYep

The old adage that 'a lie is halfway round the world before the truth has got its boots on' still applies and so does the 'the easiest lie to tell is the one the listener is predisposed to believe'. 

But IMHO this applies equally to the further reaches of both Left and Right.  The psychology behind such willingness to believe lurid stories and the creation of them is to me unfathomable.  But when I see something I beleive to be false I'll still challenge it - despite the flak. 
To be honest it does not just apply to the far reaches of the left or right as some centrists might kid themselves into believing. It is human nature we are all prone to. Wherever we are on the political spectrum we are all pre-programmed to find it much easier to believe something that is already in line with what we already think, whether it be true or false. The more intelligent amongst us try to guard against this in ourselves but none of us are immune to it.

The problem today is this is all being made vastly worse by internet algorithms which feed us stuff we are likely to already agree with regardless of whether it is true or false. And so humanity is being parcelled up into separate echo chambers where we all believe in totally different realities and cannot agree even on the basic facts anymore.

We are kidding ourselves if we try to pretend that only the extremist fringes are vulnerable to this. We all are. But recognising and understanding this is essential for us to try and remain grounded in actual facts
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on October 06, 2024, 06:00:32 PMThe BBC did not broadcast all of Khamenei's speech.  FFS it was 40 minutes (according to the DM).  They rightly gave a full report on it because as his first public speech in a long while it was very newsworthy.

The BBC has also broadcast many of Trump's speeches in full.

I suggest your source may be playing you (and many others).
You might be at least partly right.
I can't find any reports of the BBC refusing to broadcast any of Trump's speeches.
But the BBC did cherry pick a statement by him, put it up on the screen, when "BBC Verify" (cough, rolls eyes) could have immediately said it was untrue.
† The end is nigh †

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: srb7677 on Today at 06:37:44 PMWell the conspiracy theories some on the right seem prone to does make me question their sanity sometimes. When I see a thread occupied purely by right wingers spouting some conspiracy theorist bullshit, these days I am most often minded to just leave them to it until or unless someone sensible shows up. I do have another forum in mind rather than this one though and you probably know which one I speak of. And it is not the one you and I had a falling out on, which is all just water under the bridge to me now anyway.
Yep

The old adage that 'a lie is halfway round the world before the truth has got its boots on' still applies and so does the 'the easiest lie to tell is the one the listener is predisposed to believe'. 

But IMHO this applies equally to the further reaches of both Left and Right.  The psychology behind such willingness to believe lurid stories and the creation of them is to me unfathomable.  But when I see something I beleive to be false I'll still challenge it - despite the flak. 

srb7677

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on Today at 04:58:12 PMAnd probably told everyone that it was the BBC that made them do it.  And some would have believed it.
Well the conspiracy theories some on the right seem prone to does make me question their sanity sometimes. When I see a thread occupied purely by right wingers spouting some conspiracy theorist bullshit, these days I am most often minded to just leave them to it until or unless someone sensible shows up. I do have another forum in mind rather than this one though and you probably know which one I speak of. And it is not the one you and I had a falling out on, which is all just water under the bridge to me now anyway.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: srb7677 on Today at 04:42:07 PMThe Daily Mail actively supported the Third Reich.
And probably told everyone that it was the BBC that made them do it.  And some would have believed it.

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on October 06, 2024, 06:24:23 PMI am sure the BBC would have given the Third Reich a platform in the 1930s.
They were also dedicated to killing Jews, as is Khamenei.
The BBC gladly repeating his lies in a banner is reprehensible.
The Daily Mail actively supported the Third Reich.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Barry on October 06, 2024, 06:24:23 PMI am sure the BBC would have given the Third Reich a platform in the 1930s.
Did you not see the quote marks?

It had to be reported, it was news.  Same reason ITV, Sky, CNN etc all reported it.

Barry

I am sure the BBC would have given the Third Reich a platform in the 1930s.
† The end is nigh †

Unlucky4Sum

The BBC did not broadcast all of Khamenei's speech.  FFS it was 40 minutes (according to the DM).  They rightly gave a full report on it because as his first public speech in a long while it was very newsworthy.

The BBC has also broadcast many of Trump's speeches in full.

I suggest your source may be playing you (and many others).

Barry

And here is why I will not renew my licence at the end of the month:

† The end is nigh †

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

It's difficult to know what is meant by plugged in.

However, the whole complexity of the TV licence issue needs to be sorted out properly and simplified.
When our licence runs out soon, we will change our habits and have a period without one.
We watch lots of YouTube. We'll disconnect the antenna and avoid iPlayer.

If grandkids come, they are covered by parents' licences.
† The end is nigh †

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on September 25, 2024, 10:26:43 AMPlugged in is very ambiguous: if it is on charge you need a TV license then?

That's my reading of it

Nick

Quote from: Barry on September 25, 2024, 09:58:34 AMNow you can be sure
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

"Do I need a TV Licence to use iPlayer when I'm away from home?
Yes. You are covered to use iPlayer when you're away from home as long as you have a TV Licence at your home address and the device you're using isn't plugged in. If the device is plugged in, there needs to be a licence in place at that address."

Plugged in is very ambiguous: if it is on charge you need a TV license then?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.