Main Menu

Time for change?

Started by T00ts, September 24, 2024, 04:00:33 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 26, 2024, 03:48:26 PMI was brought up on untreated milk, it was just chilled, hence the reason I very rarely get ill, my immune system was built by bacteria laden milk.

Nick, what your personal experience is, is frankly irrelevant the regulations are there for very good reasons.

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/raw-drinking-milk#:~:text=We%20advise%20that%20raw%20or,people%20aged%2065%20or%20over

Unpasteurized milk can contain harmful bacteria that can cause food poisoning. People with weakened immune systems are particularly vulnerable to food poisoning from unpasteurized milk and should avoid it. These groups include: Children under 5, Adults over 65, Pregnant people, and People with compromised immune systems such as cancer patients.
Some of the bacteria that can be found in unpasteurized milk include:
Campylobacter, Cryptosporidium, E. coli, Listeria, Brucella, Salmonella, Staphylococcus aureus, and Yersinia.
The FSA advises consumers to only purchase raw milk from registered producers.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 26, 2024, 02:02:24 PMUnpasteurised milk has a regulations for good reasons:- https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/raw-drinking-milk#:~:text=The%20sale%20of%20raw%20drinking,farmers%20at%20registered%20farmers'%20markets
I was brought up on untreated milk, it was just chilled, hence the reason I very rarely get ill, my immune system was built by bacteria laden milk.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Scott777 on September 26, 2024, 11:19:39 AMIn my opinion: avoid pasturised milk, refined sugar, processed food.

My advice is don't eat anything that never used to have a heartbeat and don't drink anything without an ABV

papasmurf

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on September 26, 2024, 11:19:39 AMIn my opinion: avoid pasturised milk, refined sugar, processed food.
Good, if people copy you there's more for me and lower prices then.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/how-to-eat-a-balanced-diet/what-are-processed-foods/

'A processed food is any food or drink that has been changed in some way when it's made or prepared. Most foods we eat are processed in some way.

Processing can be used to:

make foods safe, for example milk is pasteurised to remove harmful bacteria
make foods suitable for use, such as pressing seeds to make oil
preserve foods or help them last longer, such as tinned or frozen foods . . .'

Scott777

In my opinion: avoid pasturised milk, refined sugar, processed food.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 26, 2024, 10:06:54 AM"May contain worms, beetles and slugs." :)

That is part of SAS survival training.

Unlucky4Sum

Yep, there are some foods that are less healthy than others and all foods in excess are unhealthy but an obsessive attitude ruling out foods on whims is definitely unhealthy.

Unprocessed foods are more often than not less healthy than processed foods.

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 26, 2024, 07:30:52 AMBasically anything thats processed . Grow your own tomatoes and eat roadkill is the safest bet  ;)
As long as there's a warning printed on the hedgehog:
"May contain worms, beetles and slugs." :)

I don't think there are any foods on sale which are overtly carcinogenic, although I do know some artificial sweeteners are suspect. But then the sugar producers might say something about that.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 25, 2024, 11:57:26 PMPlease name some of these supposed dangerous foods. 

Basically anything thats processed . Grow your own tomatoes and eat roadkill is the safest bet  ;)

Unlucky4Sum

Please name some of these supposed dangerous foods. 

Borg Refinery

It's a huge problem over there, even huger here in the USA..

The problem here is that politicians are given huge donations from the food corps. Why would they change the status quo, not sure if that's the case in blighty but it would not surprise me
+++

T00ts

The Labour party conference is full of it with a 10 year plan for just about everything and included in that was a change in the NHS. If anyone had the bright idea of creating an NHS today it wouldn't look remotely like the one we are lumbered with but that apart - we hear so much about teaching us what to eat. About losing weight, less alcohol (which isn't such a bad idea as a matter of fact) but no-one anywhere seems to hold the food manufacturers to account for the poison that they are currently passing off as 'healthy'

Too many foods now are full stuff known to cause cancer as well as obesity yet they still dominate the shelves instore. I went shopping this morning and had to really search for foods with minimum ingredients. I cook from basics all the time but even a decent loaf of bread with 5 or fewer ingredients starts a treasure hunt.

Food companies need to start being honest - but I guess why should they when profits are so high. A few cancerous deaths won't bother them.