Assange is a "straightforward" criminal

Started by patman post, February 24, 2020, 03:36:42 PM

« previous - next »

Sampanviking

The issue I really see here, is that of the yanks trying to make everybody, everywhere, subject to US Domestic Law.

The fact is that Assange is an Australian Citizen, exposing the blatant hypocrisy of the US establishment. He has no loyalty to the US and is therefore not guilty of any form of treason.

He exposed the nefarious actions of a rival/enemy state and many would say that was his patriotic duty.

If Tommy Tugitoff or the Belling Cat outfit did something similar to the Intelligence Services of Russia or China, there would be medals handed out not arrest warrants and extraditions etc.

Scott777

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17489 time=1582652568 user_id=70
Publishing is not a crime. But publishing sensitive/private information can be. And also be treated seriously, if the victim has enough clout...

I like the way you say 'can be'.  You're right, of course.  It is if the establishment decide it is, but not if it's not.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

patman post

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=17423 time=1582572805 user_id=59
And publishing?  And what do you think?  Is publishing stuff a crime?

Publishing is not a crime. But publishing sensitive/private information can be. And also be treated seriously, if the victim has enough clout...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=17392 time=1582558795 user_id=89
Assange is a political prisoner, and should not be in prison at all.

Assange is an idiot and is in prison as a direct result of his own stupidity

Let us suppose that you and I, for some reason that is not the point of this post, find ourselves each in his position, namely for reasons that matter little to this point, we find ourselves each the unexpected guest of the diplomatic service of a foreign power, and our time as their guest might be a long one by virtue of the forces of law and order of the country from which we have been issued a passport have parked their tanks outside the embassy gates..

Now, I don't know about you, but at this point i would be looking to put an extraordinary amount of effort into researching why it is that the president, monarch, or ruling big cheese upon whose diplomatic service I now rely for not being dragged off to the tower is minded to protect me from said fate, and having worked that out, I would then be putting vast amounts of time and energy into understanding the language, culture and history of said country and ruler, so as to be in a position to eloquently defend their decision against the works that sky-1 could chuck at me, and I would be doing my damn best to pain said ruler in the best possible light i could, to anyone who would listen. Even if it made me about as much a figure of fun as Comical Bloody Ali.

What I would certainly **NOT be doing is taking every possible opportunity to complain about how my hosts were treating me and bad mouthing their president .... because down that road, the inevitable ending is said president invites the nasty bastards to come and get me.

Which is EXACTLY what happened to him. Because that is exactly what he did. Tok the piss out of his hosts hospitality and badmouthed their president

The world is full of people with criminal records and diplomatic immunity. I am pretty sure I could find a way to join their ranks were I in the rut Assange was, and I suspect you could to if push came to shove.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Scott777

Quote from: Barry post_id=17402 time=1582562371 user_id=51
No.

The UK will not extradite anyone unless the receiving country undertakes not to use the death penalty.

However if he does 175 years in prison, he will be 223 years old when he gets out. I do love the Yanks and their silly sentencing.

He will want the death penalty after a few days of torture.  They will want info from him.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17391 time=1582558602 user_id=70
 that Assange was guilty of "straightforward" criminality for hacking into and publishing US military databases.

And publishing?  And what do you think?  Is publishing stuff a crime?

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17401 time=1582562262 user_id=70
Another of wild excursion into the world of hyperbole. His co-conspirator (who was actually serving in the military at the time he/she stole the data, got a prison sentence) and the UK does not extradite people who face the death penalty — even under the Conservatives...

No hyperbole involved. As for the UK does not extradite people with Trump's poodle as Prime Minister you must be joking.

Suggested reading:-

https://consortiumnews.com/2020/02/17/john-pilger-julian-assange-must-be-freed-not-betrayed/">https://consortiumnews.com/2020/02/17/j ... -betrayed/">https://consortiumnews.com/2020/02/17/john-pilger-julian-assange-must-be-freed-not-betrayed/
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=17398 time=1582560627 user_id=89
He would get the death penalty in America.

No.

The UK will not extradite anyone unless the receiving country undertakes not to use the death penalty.

However if he does 175 years in prison, he will be 223 years old when he gets out. I do love the Yanks and their silly sentencing.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Another of wild excursion into the world of hyperbole. His co-conspirator (who was actually serving in the military at the time he/she stole the data, got a prison sentence) and the UK does not extradite people who face the death penalty — even under the Conservatives...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=17399 time=1582560914 user_id=54
Really? I can't imagine that with the world wide notoriety he has that the US would get away with that.

America would not care about that, because basically there is nothing anyone could do about it.

T00ts

Really? I can't imagine that with the world wide notoriety he has that the US would get away with that.

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17397 time=1582560452 user_id=70
Even if Assange gets off, he's incarcerated himself for longer than he's probably have got in the US. Then there's the book, film and TV rights to live off. So perhaps he feels himself a martyr and will present himself as St Julien of Wiki...

patman post

Even if Assange gets off, he's incarcerated himself for longer than he's probably have got in the US. Then there's the book, film and TV rights to live off. So perhaps he feels himself a martyr and will present himself as St Julien of Wiki...

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17394 time=1582559340 user_id=70
He's put people's lives at risk

Rubbish. The Yanks just don't like being embarrassed. They are so paranoid they think there are 100000 spies in the USA.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=17392 time=1582558795 user_id=89
Assange is a political prisoner, and should not be in prison at all.

He's put people's lives at risk — perhaps worse — stealing data is a criminal offence whether it's political data, financial data, personal data, or other data. In this case the principal victim of the theft has teeth. I hope it gets to use them...