No, Liz Truss Did Not Crash The Economy

Started by Borg Refinery, October 01, 2024, 07:47:57 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 04, 2024, 01:23:42 PMIt's absolutely unfair to tarnish all who work in the markets as being crooks.

Not all of them, just most of them.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

It's absolutely unfair to tarnish all who work in the markets as being crooks.

I am telling the truth about knowing investment bankers, one of them, an Indian lady really went out of her way to be kind to everyone.

I knew an Indian fellow who was an analyst for the WSJ and was very close to many on Wall Street, I believe he did more there too but I can't quite remember now.

They were not in any way crooks and those on Wall Street are in the main not crooks. They are imperfect humans, some of them went too far and paid the price for their actions, as do we all. They should not be condemned.

I do not smoke because I'm already insane enough as it is
+++

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 04, 2024, 12:28:10 PMThey aren't crooks; many in the markets (I've known more than one investment banker) are well-meaning, good natured people
I think you need to stop smoking what ever it is you are smoking.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: srb7677 on October 04, 2024, 11:41:34 AMThe essential fact is that when Truss did what she did in targeting tax curs at the wealthy two things happened. Her popularity in the polls plummeted since most people believe the wealthy have enough already. But the manner in which she did it also spooked the markets triggering an economic crisis. So she herself - and her chancellor - sabotaged any prospect of it working by the irresponsible and excessively hasty way in which it was done.

But there are many on the right who believe in doing exactly what she did and these therefore cannot accept that this course was disastrous. so it cannot possibly be her fault. Because if it was it would mean their own ideological desires are inherently bad economically. So we see them scrabbling around blaming anyone but Truss. It is rather amusing. The public aren't buying it though

Truss did the best she could and should not be judged for it; it was not her fault. It was the perfect combination of various factors at the wrong time and the markets not wanting her brand of populism at the time.

Quote from: NickShe didn't spook the markets at all, they used it as an excuse to make some money cause they are crooks.
You do realise that's how the markets make money, by manipulating the markets and feeding off others misery?

They aren't crooks; many in the markets (I've known more than one investment banker) are well-meaning, good natured people
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: srb7677 on October 04, 2024, 11:28:59 AMI think this is a first. Toots calling someone a knob, lol

She may have meant me, in which case she's right

Starmer is not a knob, he's working hard to make the country better.
+++

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on October 04, 2024, 11:41:34 AMThe essential fact is that when Truss did what she did in targeting tax curs at the wealthy two things happened. Her popularity in the polls plummeted since most people believe the wealthy have enough already. But the manner in which she did it also spooked the markets triggering an economic crisis. So she herself - and her chancellor - sabotaged any prospect of it working by the irresponsible and excessively hasty way in which it was done.

But there are many on the right who believe in doing exactly what she did and these therefore cannot accept that this course was disastrous. so it cannot possibly be her fault. Because if it was it would mean their own ideological desires are inherently bad economically. So we see them scrabbling around blaming anyone but Truss. It is rather amusing. The public aren't buying it though
She didn't spook the markets at all, they used it as an excuse to make some money cause they are crooks.
You do realise that's how the markets make money, by manipulating the markets and feeding off others misery?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

The essential fact is that when Truss did what she did in targeting tax curs at the wealthy two things happened. Her popularity in the polls plummeted since most people believe the wealthy have enough already. But the manner in which she did it also spooked the markets triggering an economic crisis. So she herself - and her chancellor - sabotaged any prospect of it working by the irresponsible and excessively hasty way in which it was done.

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2024, 08:49:02 PMShe was on the right track but sadly her MO threw all those pompous 'economists' into an absolute frenzy of panic and the parliamentarians and grey suits of the Conservatives - who never wanted her anyway - threw her to the wolves. The put their chosen one in her place, the party imploded and lost the election.

What Westminster has yet to learn is that they ignore their paymasters at their peril. Labour is making exactly the same mistake with knobs on. Chief knob being Starmer.

I think this is a first. Toots calling someone a knob, lol
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borg Refinery

I am a much worse than a steamer

Starmer is a good PM trying his best in difficult circumstances and should be willed to do the best and make the country great again. He should be prayed for.

Ditto for Liz Truss and Boris who did the best they could for the country, also in difficult circumstances. None should be condemned.
+++

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on October 02, 2024, 09:32:27 AMhttps://twitter.com/Sandford_Police/status/1840397092793016471

Liz Truss was stitched up like a kipper.
as I expect you know it was my ghast not ghastly that was clabbered that T00ts would call anyone a knob.

Anyway as she was trussed old Liz was stuffed like a chicken surely. I do hear that people are registering frozen birds so many that the system has gone down,why frozen you may ask perhaps they too lost the winter fuel allowance  :D  Anyway knob or whatever Starmer is a steamer and if T00ts remembers I told her long ago on here why.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on October 01, 2024, 08:49:02 PMShe was on the right track but sadly her MO threw all those pompous 'economists' into an absolute frenzy of panic and the parliamentarians and grey suits of the Conservatives - who never wanted her anyway - threw her to the wolves. The put their chosen one in her place, the party imploded and lost the election.

What Westminster has yet to learn is that they ignore their paymasters at their peril. Labour is making exactly the same mistake with knobs on. Chief knob being Starmer.

My ghastly is absolutely clabbered  :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borg Refinery

The economists were doing the best they could to accurately forecast, just as she was doing her best to run the country IMHO. I pray that Starmer does the best he can to help the country and don't want him to fail.

It looks like Liz Truss didn't crash the economy, world events created perfect chaos at the wrong time and it made it look like she did - but she didn't; she has been unfairly tarnished with an untruth - one that has persisted. This will make the Tories look bad for a long time and it's not entirely fair on them.

In similar vein, it's not entirely fair to say Labour were responsible for the world financial crisis in 2008-9 that tanked their economic credibility, while no one is perfect, they aren't to blame for the US mortgage crisis and the contagion which followed. They did the best they could with the knowledge they had.
+++

T00ts

She was on the right track but sadly her MO threw all those pompous 'economists' into an absolute frenzy of panic and the parliamentarians and grey suits of the Conservatives - who never wanted her anyway - threw her to the wolves. The put their chosen one in her place, the party imploded and lost the election.