Kemi Badenoch 'has potential to follow in Margaret Thatcher's footsteps,' claims Tory MP

Started by GBNews, October 02, 2024, 07:53:48 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

She was great in her time but we have to face the fact that each Government is experimental. The world is changing so fast that any set of ideological beliefs are out of date almost before they are in place. The Government we really need is one that can act fast and think on its feet. Not one that is so tied down in dogma that it can't react to the current situation. It also needs the power to properly read the room globally not just in the Westminster Bubble. I watched the Leadership speeches and it wasn't there.

It is going to take not just a good leader, but an excellent team, with the courage to wipe out Westminster, particularly the back corridors and Whitehall, to bring some sense and integrity into the political scene. Sadly I fear it might take another war to have that effect. History and tradition is great of course but now it might actually be holding us back. I don't see that sort of candidate anywhere.

Streetwalker

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 02, 2024, 09:16:04 AMThat anyone on the face of it intelligent person would think Thatcher great.

I'm more concerned that my MP ,the bloke whos got more than a vowel missing (Philp) thinks Badenoch is comparable

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 02, 2024, 09:16:04 AMThat anyone on the face of it intelligent person would think Thatcher great.
Why was she not great in your opinion?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 02, 2024, 09:13:50 AMWhy would you be worried ? Thatcher didn't get everything right but she got everything right that mattered

That anyone on the face of it intelligent person would think Thatcher great.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 02, 2024, 08:57:15 AMWhat worries me is I suspect you actually believe that.

Why would you be worried ? Thatcher didn't get everything right but she got everything right that mattered

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 02, 2024, 08:43:04 AMThatcher was the greatest leader this country has ever seen, even surpassing Churchill.

What worries me is I suspect you actually believe that.

Nick

Thatcher was the greatest leader this country has ever seen, even surpassing Churchill.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GBNews

Kemi Badenoch 'has potential to follow in Margaret Thatcher's footsteps,' claims Tory MP

Chris Philp has declared he is "absolutely" a "Kemi Badenoch fan" as he offered his support for the Tory leadership hopeful during the party's annual conference.

Battling against James Cleverly, Robert Jenrick and Tom Tugendhat to replace Rishi Sunak as the party leader, Kemi Badenoch has told the conference in her keynote speech that Labour is "trashing" Tory principles, and vowed to "clean up their mess" at the next election.

She said: "These are our principles that Labour is trashing, so I haven't heard them say anything that is good. The Angela Rayner that I stand opposite has no clue what she's doing, and we're going to have to pick up the mess she makes."

Speaking to GB News, Philp claimed the final remaining female candidate in the race has the "star quality" and "political charisma" to take the Tory fight to Labour ahead of the next election.

Chris Philp, Kemi Badenoch

Philp told host Andrew Pierce: "I think she has that sort of undefined quality, the X factor, star quality, political charisma, which I think we need in our new leader to help us take the fight to Labour when we have a new leader in place.

"I am absolutely a Kemi Badenoch fan and I think she has all of that."

Comparing Badenoch to former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, the Shadow Leader of the House of Commons added: "Besides, of course, authentic Conservative views, I think she has the potential to follow in Margaret Thatcher's footsteps, and those are the reasons why I am backing her."

Hitting back at Philp, Andrew argued that it is "dangerous" to compare another female candidate to Thatcher, highlighting that both Theresa May and Liz Truss "did not compare" to Thatcher's legacy.

Kemi Badenoch

Philp partly agreed but stood firm on his support for Badenoch, telling GB News: "I wouldn't compare them to Thatcher, but I think Kemi is different.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:

"As I said, she has that star quality that I think we need to take the fight to Labour, and they've done such a bad job in government in the last 80 or so days."

Warning of a "10 year Labour government" if the Tories fail to choose a strong enough leader, Philp continued: "It is more important than ever that we choose a leader who can beat them in five years' time.

"Because if we fail in that mission, it won't be a five-year Labour government, it'll be a 10-year Labour government. I think Kemi is best placed to win."

When pressed on Badenoch's comments about maternity pay being "too high", Philp claimed that her remarks were "reasonable", and stressed she has "no plans to change maternity pay" as party leader.

Chris Philp

Philp explained: "I think she's been clear she's not going to be making any changes to maternity pay. The point she was making was a broader point, which is reasonable, about overregulation of businesses, big and small.

"Over the decades, regulations have built up. Look at any individual regulation, you might think it makes sense, but the cumulative effect is that small businesses and large businesses are unable to be competitive.

"And we do need to be internationally competitive against places like Singapore and South Korea, and that is what Kemi is going to look at in opposition."

Source: Kemi Badenoch 'has potential to follow in Margaret Thatcher's footsteps,' claims Tory MP