Bojo Calls For Referendum On Leaving ECHR

Started by Borg Refinery, October 04, 2024, 02:24:14 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on October 05, 2024, 04:03:01 PMYou're that desperate to argue everything people post that you don't read it. I never mentioned ECHR.
No you mentioned 'EU Court' which is irrelevant to the ECnHR that Boris is calling a referendum about.  And the judgement body for the ECnHR is the ECtHR.

So you're wrong, I did read it

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 05, 2024, 03:49:07 PMThere's no proof there would be total devastation if the ECHR was left, people said the same with Brexit - it had some knock-on effects but Bojo's Brexit saga in 2019 did not precipitate a complete crisis as many predicted.

These things are usually scaremongering pushed by political parties to make the masses believe what they are saying.
That's because Boris was shown the facts and realised if he was going to deliver his election promise of leaving pronto he had to do a deal and quicker.  Which he did, hence the TCA.  But the TCA requires us to adhere to the ECnHR.

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on October 05, 2024, 03:02:05 PMThe EU Court is not the relevant court for ECnHR cases
You're that desperate to argue everything people post that you don't read it. I never mentioned ECHR. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

There's no proof there would be total devastation if the ECHR was left, people said the same with Brexit - it had some knock-on effects but Bojo's Brexit saga in 2019 did not precipitate a complete crisis as many predicted.

These things are usually scaremongering pushed by political parties to make the masses believe what they are saying.
+++

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on October 05, 2024, 02:57:34 PMThe City of London has taken Germany and France to the EU courts several times and never won, even though they were in the right and they were both breaking financial regulations.
The EU Court is not the relevant court for ECnHR cases

Nick

Quote from: Barry on October 05, 2024, 02:54:48 PMI'm all for leaving the ECHR, but there's not a chance of getting that through parliament, with these goons in charge of the country.

Foreign courts do not act in the interests of our country.
The City of London has taken Germany and France to the EU courts several times and never won, even though they were in the right and they were both breaking financial regulations. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 05, 2024, 01:27:42 PMNick, there is no cheap food and has not been for years. As for imported fish from Costa Rica and Viet Nam it will be days old, if not more. The fresh fish I but from the village fishmonger caught by a local day boat will caught no more than 24 hours ago or even been caught in the morning.
I suggest you chat with Unlucky about cheap food, he brought that up. As for the imported sea food, it can be on the shelves in Tesco within 24 hours also, it comes on planes not boats, which takes about 12 hours to get to the U.K. 

Barry

I'm all for leaving the ECHR, but there's not a chance of getting that through parliament, with these goons in charge of the country.

Foreign courts do not act in the interests of our country.
† The end is nigh †

Unlucky4Sum

Have the pro Brexit government on the issue of needing food from the EU https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/united-kingdom-food-security-report-2021/united-kingdom-food-security-report-2021-theme-2-uk-food-supply-sources

'In 2020, the UK imported 46% of the food it consumed. Having a diverse range of international sources makes food supply more resilient, as if the production or output of one source is disrupted, other sources can meet demand. No one country provided more than 11% of those imports, a picture which has been stable for some time. By value, £48 billion of food, feed, and drink (FFD) was imported and £21.4 billion was exported.

Overall, the UK's food supply is concentrated on the UK and Europe, with over 80% of supply coming from these main sources. The remainder is mostly spread between Africa, Asia, North America, and South America. This picture has changed little in the last 10 years. EU countries continue to be the main source for FFD imports and are therefore essential to the UK's food security. 39% of FFD imports by value were despatched from 4 EU countries (the Netherlands, Republic of Ireland, Germany, and France) in 2020.'

We can import fresh food from other (further away) sources but air freight of such makes it more expensive and we only have a finite capacity for importing food by plane.  Much lower than all those trucks that roll through Dover and the Channel Tunnel.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 05, 2024, 11:10:54 AMI need to go to Tesco today, I will take some snaps of the non-EU priced food on the shelves... All reasonably priced and fresh. Most of the seafood on the shelves is from Costa Rica and Vietnam, on the shelves just as fresh as U.K. caught fish.

Nick, there is no cheap food and has not been for years. As for imported fish from Costa Rica and Viet Nam it will be days old, if not more. The fresh fish I but from the village fishmonger caught by a local day boat will caught no more than 24 hours ago or even been caught in the morning.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

Take a look where the milk, eggs etc from.

We net import ~ 25% of the food we eat and we mainly import the fresh food part of that from the EU.

Without that UK-EU TCA our ports get jammed, people will panic buy and our manufacturing exports will be badly hit. 

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on October 05, 2024, 10:58:11 AMFresh food at affordable prices.  And FWIW a fair amount of the electricity we use every morning.
I need to go to Tesco today, I will take some snaps of the non-EU priced food on the shelves... All reasonably priced and fresh. Most of the seafood on the shelves is from Costa Rica and Vietnam, on the shelves just as fresh as U.K. caught fish. 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on October 05, 2024, 10:04:02 AMI take it you don't do the shopping in your house? Huge amounts of U.K. shelves are stocked with non-EU goods, we are not reliant on the EU for anything. Give an example of something that we can only get in the EU, except brand names like Champagne.
Fresh food at affordable prices.  And FWIW a fair amount of the electricity we use every morning.

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on October 05, 2024, 01:18:27 AMThe big immediate impact would be the trade deal with the EU would become invalid (a clear violation of Article 524 of same) leading to border chaos, empty supermarket shelves and a run on the £.

I take it you don't do the shopping in your house? Huge amounts of U.K. shelves are stocked with non-EU goods, we are not reliant on the EU for anything. Give an example of something that we can only get in the EU, except brand names like Champagne. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 04, 2024, 06:47:18 PMHow could it possibly be me? I have never claimed benefits in my life. I have earned what I have.

Nick loss of rights has nothing to do with benefits.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe