Bojo Calls For Referendum On Leaving ECHR

Started by Borg Refinery, October 04, 2024, 02:24:14 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 04, 2024, 06:47:18 PMHow could it possibly be me? I have never claimed benefits in my life. I have earned what I have.

Nick loss of rights has nothing to do with benefits.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

The latest is that he 'does not rule out a return to politics' and thinks Brexit was still a good idea and stands behind it. He also says he could've won the general election in July.

Link: 1, 2, 3

+++

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2024, 03:04:26 PMFrankly the majority of the electorate have no idea what the ECHR is and what the ramifications would be for British citizens would be if we did leave.
The big immediate impact would be the trade deal with the EU would become invalid (a clear violation of Article 524 of same) leading to border chaos, empty supermarket shelves and a run on the £.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on October 04, 2024, 04:04:58 PMThat's just your usual soundbite, British laws already surpass the ECHR, and as Borg says, the ECHR stops us getting rid of know terrorists like it did with Abu Hamsa.
Well if our laws really do surpass the ECnHR then it couldn't have been the ECnHR that delayed (not stopped) us extradting Hamza to the USA could it.  Truth is other than the HRA that incorporates the convention they don't.

Awkward fact: Thatcher made Hamza a British citizen.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2024, 05:38:39 PMI have NO problem at all with the government catching cheats. (I just wish they would sort out the industrial scale ones.)  I do object to the government having powers to rummage around in people's bank account without a warrant.
(It could be you.)
How could it possibly be me? I have never claimed benefits in my life. I have earned what I have. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 04, 2024, 05:47:19 PMI am much worse than all them and all that

But the industrial scale cheats in some cases turned out to be false positives and at least one person was wrongly imprisoned and later released

As far as I am aware NONE of the industrial scale cheats have been jailed in Britain. They have in America, France and Germany.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2024, 05:38:39 PMI have NO problem at all with the government catching cheats. (I just wish they would sort out the industrial scale ones.)  I do object to the government having powers to rummage around in people's bank account without a warrant.
(It could be you.)

I am much worse than all them and all that

But the industrial scale cheats in some cases turned out to be false positives and at least one person was wrongly imprisoned and later released
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 04, 2024, 05:43:07 PMI posted it on here. That appears to be a new dedicated bill that Labour are bringing forward that I wasn't aware of, so you seem to be correct

Starmer announced it very recently.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2024, 05:05:55 PMWhere have you got that information please. Because as far as I am aware it is still going ahead.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-laws-to-be-introduced-to-crack-down-on-fraud

The government will bring forward a new Fraud, Error and Debt Bill in this parliamentary session to crack down on fraud in the social security system.
Department for Work and Pensions
Published
24 September 2024
This legislation will give DWP powers to:
Better investigate suspected fraud and new powers of search and seizure so DWP can take greater control investigations into criminal gangs defrauding the taxpayer.
Allow DWP to recover debts from individuals who can pay money back but have avoided doing so, bringing greater fairness to debt recoveries.
Require banks and financial institutions to share data that may show indications of potential benefit overpayments

I posted it on here. That appears to be a new dedicated bill that Labour are bringing forward that I wasn't aware of, so you seem to be correct - except it was scrapped but they are reintroducing it

https://pol-tics.com/index.php?topic=7051.msg126839#msg126839
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 04, 2024, 05:26:12 PMAnd only you would complain about the government catching cheats. I wonder why you love them so much?

I have NO problem at all with the government catching cheats. (I just wish they would sort out the industrial scale ones.)  I do object to the government having powers to rummage around in people's bank account without a warrant.
(It could be you.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2024, 05:05:55 PMWhere have you got that information please. Because as far as I am aware it is still going ahead.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-laws-to-be-introduced-to-crack-down-on-fraud

The government will bring forward a new Fraud, Error and Debt Bill in this parliamentary session to crack down on fraud in the social security system.
Published
24 September 2024
Better investigate suspected fraud and new powers of search and seizure so DWP can take greater control investigations into criminal gangs defrauding the taxpayer.
Allow DWP to recover debts from individuals who can pay money back but have avoided doing so, bringing greater fairness to debt recoveries.
Require banks and financial institutions to share data that may show indications of potential benefit overpayments
And only you would complain about the government catching cheats. I wonder why you love them so much?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 04, 2024, 04:30:07 PMThat has already been scrapped (the DWP searching bank accounts thing).

Where have you got that information please. Because as far as I am aware it is still going ahead.

Published
24 September 2024

Borg Refinery

That has already been scrapped (the DWP searching bank accounts thing).

The ECHR has flaws and weaknesses, as well as many strengths. It could be reformed or better human rights law enacted by govts committed to such.

I did not mean to condemn terrorists in my earlier post
+++