Bojo Calls For Referendum On Leaving ECHR

Started by Borg Refinery, October 04, 2024, 02:24:14 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2024, 03:56:39 PMTake away the ECHR and that would effectively leave British citizens with no rights and no avenue to get redress from a hostile British government.
That's just your usual soundbite, British laws already surpass the ECHR, and as Borg says, the ECHR stops us getting rid of know terrorists like it did with Abu Hamsa.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

And many would argue it prevents the lawful return of migrants to some countries and limits the country's sovereignty

QuoteThe ECHR guarantees their rights, and it prohibits States from sending an immigrant back to their country of origin if the immigrant would likely face mistreatment or serious human rights violations. This is why the ECHR is regularly criticized for preventing governments from deporting foreign terrorists

https://eclj.org/asylum/echr/la-cedh-a-t-elle-le-pouvoir-de-suspendre-les-expulsions-de-migrants-#:~:text=The%20ECHR%20guarantees%20their%20rights,governments%20from%20deporting%20foreign%20terrorists.

It has its flaws and its strengths as well
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 04, 2024, 03:31:03 PMEnlighten us.

Take away the ECHR and that would effectively leave British citizens with no rights and no avenue to get redress from a hostile British government.

AI search:-

Yes, the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) protects British citizens:
What the ECHR is
The ECHR is an international agreement that guarantees fundamental human rights, including the right to life, liberty, fair trials, and freedom of speech and assembly.
How the ECHR protects British citizens
The UK is a member state of the ECHR and has accepted treaty obligations to protect these rights. The UK's Human Rights Act (HRA) lists 16 articles from the ECHR and protects them in UK law. This means that people can take cases to UK courts if their rights are at risk.
How the ECHR is enforced
The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) enforces the ECHR and ensures that the rights are protected in practice. The ECtHR is based in Strasbourg, France and is made up of judges from each of the 46 member states.
Some examples of the ECHR in action
The ECHR has protected the UK from a number of human rights violations, including:
The wrongful arrest and sentencing of two Vietnamese children trafficked into the UK
The breach of the right to privacy when the police kept DNA records of innocent people
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2024, 03:04:26 PMFrankly the majority of the electorate have no idea what the ECHR is and what the ramifications would be for British citizens would be if we did leave.
Enlighten us.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 04, 2024, 02:24:14 PMBonus:

Link

A lot of people seem to want to leave the ECHR, but it's not a settled issue, see this:

https://fullfact.org/immigration/echr-polling/

Frankly the majority of the electorate have no idea what the ECHR is and what the ramifications would be for British citizens would be if we did leave.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

QuoteBoris Johnson has called for a referendum on Britain's membership of the European convention on human rights, a move likely to increase pressure on those vying for the Conservative leadership to follow suit.

The former prime minister told the Daily Telegraph there was a "strong case" for a vote on the ECHR, which some Tories blame for hampering their efforts to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda.

Johnson, who is promoting his memoir, remains popular with many Conservative members, who will soon vote for the next party leader. Robert Jenrick, a frontrunner, is the only candidate to promise to take Britain out of the ECHR.

Johnson, asked if he would support a referendum on the ECHR, told the newspaper: "I would. I think it has changed. It has become much more legally adventurist. It's trying to second guess what national jurisdiction should do." He added: "There's a strong case for a proper referendum, a proper discussion about it because I'm not certain that it actually provides people with protections that they wouldn't otherwise have."

Britain's membership of the convention has become one of the most hotly contested issues in the Tory leadership battle. Some Conservatives have blamed the court in Strasbourg, which interprets the convention, for the previous government's failure to implement the Rwanda deportation scheme, even though it was blocked by the UK supreme court.

While Jenrick, the former immigration minister, argues the UK cannot have an effective migration policy while a member, his rivals have accused him of offering an overly simplistic solution to a complex problem.

Speaking at this week's Conservative party conference in Birmingham, Tom Tugendhat, one of the other three candidates, argued: "This is about visas, not about foreign courts."

Bonus:

QuoteJohnson also told the Telegraph that while he was foreign secretary, a listening device was found in his private bathroom after it had been used by Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister. He added the timing "may or may not be a coincidence".

Link

A lot of people seem to want to leave the ECHR, but it's not a settled issue, see this:

https://fullfact.org/immigration/echr-polling/
+++