Home Office Asylum Queue Stretches Back Almost 17 Years

Started by Borg Refinery, October 05, 2024, 03:47:16 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

That was a small % of the Windrush people but that were treated appallingly by our authorities and government departments and who in too many cases are yet to have matters put right. 

There's a fair argument that some senior officials and maybe even some politicians should have faced criminal charges.

They were never asylum seekers.

Borg Refinery

The Windrush people actually ended up as effective asylum seekers and in some cases actual refugees after having cases reviewed and at times were even deported, simply for the crime of not having the right documents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windrush_scandal#:~:text=The%20Windrush%20hotline%20had%20recorded,appointments%20with%20the%20Home%20Office.

But I accept, my post made it look like I said they were refugees and they came here as refugees, when they didn't, the others didn't either they came here and were accepted straight into the country (except maybe the Vietnamese). The people fleeing the Mau-Mau uprising were treated exactly like the Windrush people and were not technically treated as refugees, they were given automatic citizenship
+++

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 05, 2024, 03:47:16 PMThe Times

I read an article some years back that said the asylum system has been in perpetual crisis since 1992. It wasn't like that before, even with the big influxes that came before - such as Windrush, Vietnamese, Indian-Kenyans & Ugandans and etc.
I'd be more interested in the average (or median) delay and not what a one off weird case might produce.  I suspect thought that that average delay is bad.  it will surely get worse when there is no real disincentive on people making false asylum claims.  We need to fix thet.

PS Windrush was nothing to do with asylum seeking.

Borg Refinery

Well the 'open door' policy of 2000 really did open the floodgates, but the system has been in perpetual crisis since 1992. I wish I could find that link, but I'm struggling, it was years ago I read it - it had graphs.

It's not one administation's fault, it has been successive governments that have struggled to control it, in many cases (especially from extremely war ravaged countries like Bosnia in the 1990s) there were people in genuine dire need of help - but it is also true that more screening is needed for potential terrorists in today's sad age where that sort of thing is necessary.

And yes, because of course it would be more effective to process them in the first safe country they land in, rather than waiting til they get to Britain. Other countries should share responsibility.

What's needed is a worldwide coordinated system to process refugees, countries like Lebanon which has the most refugees in the entire world cannot cope. And nor can little countries like Britain. The little countries are the ones suffering the most, in America the problem is acute too but for smaller countries, the problem threatens to completely overwhelm them.

I know, none of this is likely but it is the only way to properly solve the problem the globe-over.

The added problem comes from Russia and Belarus weaponizing migrant flows

https://apnews.com/article/poland-belarus-migrants-russia-ukraine-59d6050c2ea6853de3154150e8c9dcb5

The migrants are being made angry by the Belarusians, they want them to riot and kill Polish border guards.

Things really aren't as they seem in many of the political crises going on around the world right now
+++

Barry

When I saw these figures were being published in the press, I thought it was to try to slight the pre 2010 administration, but it is pretty clear that the bulk of the ineptitude in this sphere is down to Tories, who were effectively in control for the last 14 years.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

QuoteAn asylum claim received at the end of Sir Tony Blair's tenure as prime minister was still being processed by the Home Office in March, records show.

The oldest case in the system was nearly 17 years old. A further 19 cases were between ten and 16 and a half years old.

In one example a longstanding case was still being reviewed as officials considered whether the applicant had been involved in war crimes and crimes against humanity. One of the applicants died before their case was resolved.

One long outstanding case was flagged for potential "CT" interest. This is normally an acronym for "counterterrorism" agencies.

The Times

I read an article some years back that said the asylum system has been in perpetual crisis since 1992. It wasn't like that before, even with the big influxes that came before - such as Windrush, Vietnamese, Indian-Kenyans & Ugandans and etc.
+++