Who allowed Birmingham to get like this?

Started by Barry, October 08, 2024, 12:04:24 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on Today at 10:20:46 AMAnd yet one of the most successful cities in the country

Successful at what? I know several people who fled Brum because of the state it is in.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Streetwalker on Today at 09:28:49 AMIts a shithole that went bankrupt in September 2023 when it issued a 114 notice which basically means it has to stop borrowing and spending .
In the last 12 months it has cut over 600 council jobs, stopped arts funding ,sold community centres , turned off the street lights and stopped weekly rubbish collections .

And they have the cheek to raise council tax by 20% .Its a story that's being played out in many ,mostly Labour councils across the UK

And yet one of the most successful cities in the country

QuoteThe wider metropolitan economy is the second-largest in the United Kingdom with a GDP of $121.1 billion (2014 estimate, PPP).[24] Major companies headquartered in Birmingham include the engineering company IMI plc, Mobico Group, Patisserie Valerie, Claire's, and Mitchells & Butlers; including the wider metropolitan area, the city has the largest concentration of major companies outside London and the South East.[188] hosting headquarters for Gymshark and Severn Trent Water. With major facilities such as the National Exhibition Centre and International Convention Centre, Birmingham attracts 42% of the UK's total conference and exhibition trade.[189]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham#Economy

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on Today at 09:08:44 AMWe could learn to live with a lower population if people who are capable would work for a living.

Not that old propaganda. Frankly I am fed up with it. The 9-10 million "economically inactive," are NOT all available for work. Does anyone who spouts the are ever effing check?

AI response:-

In the United Kingdom, people who are economically inactive in 2024 include:
Students
In April to June 2024, more than 2.5 million people were economically inactive due to being students
Long-term sick
In April to June 2024, more than 2.8 million people were economically inactive due to being long-term sick
Temporarily sick
In April to June 2024, 230,000 people were economically inactive due to being temporarily sick
Looking after family or home
In April to June 2024, over 1.7 million people were economically inactive due to looking after family or home
Retired
In April to June 2024, just over a million people were economically inactive due to being retired
Discouraged workers
In April to June 2024, 27,000 people were economically inactive due to being discouraged workers
The economic inactivity rate in the UK for people aged 16 to 64 was estimated at 22.3% in February to April 2024. This is above estimates from a year ago.

The number of people aged 50-64 who are economically inactive has increased by 11.5% since the pandemic started. Economic inactivity has fallen very slightly over the most recent quarter, with the rate standing at 22.1% for those aged 16-64 in March to May 2024 – down from 22.2% in the previous quarter.17 Jul 2024

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borg Refinery on Today at 06:12:22 AMBrum is one of the most successful and largest cities in the country, in no way is it a '****hole'.

Its a shithole that went bankrupt in September 2023 when it issued a 114 notice which basically means it has to stop borrowing and spending .
In the last 12 months it has cut over 600 council jobs, stopped arts funding ,sold community centres , turned off the street lights and stopped weekly rubbish collections .

And they have the cheek to raise council tax by 20% .Its a story that's being played out in many ,mostly Labour councils across the UK

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Brum is one of the most successful and largest cities in the country, in no way is it a '****hole'.

Liberals are patriots who care about their country

Ditto the far-right, and I won't condemn any of them

PS: all my posts should be ignored and skipped over, do not respond to them or "DNFTT" as one poster rightly says about them all. They are all irrelevant as am I, they should be left well enough alone and I want 0% attention so i can downplay myself unperturbed
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on October 08, 2024, 08:13:58 PMThis might be over 20years old but it was prophetic in more ways than one in that the demographer who compiled the information for this wanted to remain anonymous for fear of being labelled racist there would be more than that fear in Starmers UK.
Link

Relevant to that:-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/oct/08/deaths-outstrip-births-in-uk-for-first-time-in-nearly-50-years

cromwell

This might be over 20years old but it was prophetic in more ways than one in that the demographer who compiled the information for this wanted to remain anonymous for fear of being labelled racist there would be more than that fear in Starmers UK.
Link
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on October 08, 2024, 07:15:15 PMI would rename it fair right. The situation we have at present isn't fair to anyone, immigrant or native.
Actually that's  a very clever way T00ts of deflating the illiberal liberals.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on October 08, 2024, 04:58:16 PMI agree T00ts but that doesn't mean you won't be labelled far right in the present climate.

I would rename it fair right. The situation we have at present isn't fair to anyone, immigrant or native.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on October 08, 2024, 04:32:41 PMTo be fair, we elected people based on their manifestos. None of which ever said they would flood the country with immigrants from a foreign culture.

That's true enough but even the most loyal of party loyalists must now see the main parties are just the same cheeks on the same arse .
I guess Reform are our last chance , next stop will then really be the Far right

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on October 08, 2024, 04:41:59 PMI have no problem with having an open door for people truly in need or want to start afresh here, but we are being invaded by too many who are not interested in supporting the country that is supporting them. They are here mostly for a free ride, or at worst, part of an invading army. I just don't understand why successive Governments are appearing to be blind to the potential threat.

Just which side does anyone think they will fight if/when the call to arms comes?

I agree T00ts but that doesn't mean you won't be labelled far right in the present climate.

T00ts

I have no problem with having an open door for people truly in need or want to start afresh here, but we are being invaded by too many who are not interested in supporting the country that is supporting them. They are here mostly for a free ride, or at worst, part of an invading army. I just don't understand why successive Governments are appearing to be blind to the potential threat.

Just which side does anyone think they will fight if/when the call to arms comes?

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 08, 2024, 03:19:04 PMWe did by electing people who allowed it

Import the third world in the numbers we have and there was never going to be any other result . Its not as if we were not warned but those people were shouted down as xenophobes and racists .

Its growing problem ,almost every major city in the UK is the same to some degree
To be fair, we elected people based on their manifestos. None of which ever said they would flood the country with immigrants from a foreign culture.
† The end is nigh †