Who allowed Birmingham to get like this?

Started by Barry, October 08, 2024, 12:04:24 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

When people run down the country and major cities etc, I'm minded to think of life elsewhere where children have no running water, there's no food, life is absolutely unlivable. The fact is the standard of living has improved dramatically

The fact is whether one's own country makes one sick or not, or it's compared to a toilet, the place for many people is a destination that millions flock to because they truly love it and would never complain about it

I won't condemn anyone or any country and believe the country should be improved if there are problems, not run down constantly
+++

Nick

Quote from: Barry on Today at 04:45:30 PMI think a lot of the A38 doesn't have footpaths, but I drove through Handsworth once when the M42 was blocked and wondered if I would get out alive.
Handsworth is a bit like the scenes in the video, just a bit less rubbish.
The main road through Handsworth is the section I was referring to, the pavements there are unusable due to the grocers and what the like spilling out onto them. If I was in Delhi I wouldn't mind but I bet they don't pay and ground rent lol
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on Today at 10:43:08 AMTake a walk down the A38 in Birmingham, not a pleasant experience, same goes for any big city I suspect.
I think a lot of the A38 doesn't have footpaths, but I drove through Handsworth once when the M42 was blocked and wondered if I would get out alive.
Handsworth is a bit like the scenes in the video, just a bit less rubbish.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on Today at 03:49:27 PMThe Tories didn't totally destabilise the whole of the Middle East and cause the whole of Europe to be inundated with murderers, rapists and terrorists, people who do not fit with our way of life. You might have had a rough time under the Tories, that's unlucky. Maybe you should have grafted a bit harder and got on the right side of the line.

Nick I am 76 years old, the Tories have totally effed up the country since 2010. That you think otherwise means you are insulated from it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on Today at 02:19:30 PMThe country slid down the pan during 14 years of Tories. It will need very big sludge gulper to get the country of the mire.
The Tories didn't totally destabilise the whole of the Middle East and cause the whole of Europe to be inundated with murderers, rapists and terrorists, people who do not fit with our way of life. You might have had a rough time under the Tories, that's unlucky. Maybe you should have grafted a bit harder and got on the right side of the line.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on Today at 02:19:30 PMThe country slid down the pan during 14 years of Tories. It will need very big sludge gulper to get the country of the mire.

It was well on its way before the Tories came to power

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on Today at 02:08:05 PMThere are still some trying to hold the country together so it doesn't slide down the pan.

The country slid down the pan during 14 years of Tories. It will need very big sludge gulper to get the country of the mire.

T00ts

I used to love Birmingham but I guess there are many trying to hold it's head above water by producing good stuff like the theatres etc. It takes a while for mismanagement to affect everything and the Labour Council have been messing up for a long time. Gradually the cracks are showing.

Same with the country on a larger scale. There are still some trying to hold the country together so it doesn't slide down the pan. It's a shame that Labour has been given carte blanche to throw the baby out with the bath water when the poor kid has already been half drowning for long enough.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borg Refinery on Today at 10:20:46 AMAnd yet one of the most successful cities in the country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham#Economy

Fair enough ,it has some things going for it , its still a dump though .   Puke

cromwell

Quote from: Borg Refinery on Today at 06:12:22 AMBrum is one of the most successful and largest cities in the country, in no way is it a '****hole'.

Liberals are patriots who care about their country

Ditto the far-right, and I won't condemn any of them

PS: all my posts should be ignored and skipped over, do not respond to them or "DNFTT" as one poster rightly says about them all. They are all irrelevant as am I, they should be left well enough alone and I want 0% attention so i can downplay myself unperturbed
Don't be daft,it's a forum everyone has an opinion which should not be shut down without good reason.

I disagree with Sampan at times Scott too but that doesn't mean their views are wrong or invalid just different.

Some people just don't get it and believe only they are right.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on Today at 10:43:08 AMTake a walk down the A38 in Birmingham, not a pleasant experience, same goes for any big city I suspect.

Cities are so gentrified nowdays, especially big cities, that I'm sure other than a tiny handful of places it's really not a problem, London definitely is

People say the same about Atlanta constantly but it's not just fine, it feels incredibly safe in 90% of the city, despite social media constantly suggesting you will die the very second you step foot outside
+++

papasmurf

Personally I would not go there:-

https://www.justicesecurity.co.uk/crime-rate/birmingham-city-centre#:~:text=Birmingham%20City%20Centre%20Crime%20Overview,crimes%20of%20theft%20being%20reported.

Birmingham City Centre Crime Overview
Birmingham is the most dangerous major city in the West Midlands.
In 2022, there were 145 crimes per 1000 people, 17% higher than the West Midlands average.
In December 2022, it was the West Midlands most dangerous area for burglary, with 801 crimes of theft being reported.

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on Today at 06:12:22 AMBrum is one of the most successful and largest cities in the country, in no way is it a '****hole'.
Take a walk down the A38 in Birmingham, not a pleasant experience, same goes for any big city I suspect.

Borg Refinery

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on Today at 10:20:46 AMAnd yet one of the most successful cities in the country

Successful at what? I know several people who fled Brum because of the state it is in.