We are all going to die

Started by papasmurf, March 03, 2020, 09:39:27 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

I've said this before ...

100% of men on the slab over the age of 55 have prostate cancer. Of which they would have died had what they are lying on the slab now for not got them first.

Life is a terminal disease for which myth suggests only three men have dodged and one of those was a postponement.

Until last century huge numbers of babies in the uk never made it to their 5th year and too many women died in childbirth. The wars took down massive numbers of men...

In the 1970s the medical school I taught in as a postgrads started to operate a scheme where all med students had to shadow a terminal patient to get them to handle the fact life was 100% fatal and you can't save them all, all of the time.

I despaired at the need for this although to be fair almost all my charges and the six students I've dealt with since who got to shadow dad, then mum, had no particular problem.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

I don't know about death, but I can't say that I am that bothered with growing old.  The kids have been launched, the mortgage is paid off and I have plenty to keep me occupied. Overall I think that I will hang around a bit longer.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: Borchester post_id=17936 time=1583243116 user_id=62
... I am not so keen on this business of spending eternity singing the praises of the Almighty. I did enough of that when I was working for HMRC.

:hattip   :lol:
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=17931 time=1583235618 user_id=89
Actually I did not start this thread because of Covid-19.

I have been living on borrowed time since 1980.(Large medical  file they will find out at postmortem.) From my peer group in my youth/childhood  there are just two of us left. At the moment it is looking like I will be the "last man standing."

Something nasty tried to kill my wife and I over Christmas, it did "thin out," the local geriatrics, my wife and I are recovering and are planning a holiday in Brittany.  Basically sod it and carry on. Carpe Diem.

If you have been living on borrowed time for the last 40 years the only thing I can say is that you must have struck a damn good deal with your mortgage company. Truly a creaking gate lasts forever.

I am not so keen on this going to heaven lark. I like the idea of meeting up with my mum and dad and all the friends and relatives who have gone before, but I am not so keen on this business of spending eternity singing the praises of the Almighty. I did enough of that when I was working for HMRC.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=17929 time=1583234630 user_id=54
I think it's really important to keep a sense of perspective.

Actually I did not start this thread because of Covid-19.

I have been living on borrowed time since 1980.(Large medical  file they will find out at postmortem.) From my peer group in my youth/childhood  there are just two of us left. At the moment it is looking like I will be the "last man standing."

Something nasty tried to kill my wife and I over Christmas, it did "thin out," the local geriatrics, my wife and I are recovering and are planning a holiday in Brittany.  Basically sod it and carry on. Carpe Diem.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

I think it's really important to keep a sense of perspective. I am just watching BJ's press conference now and I think it's fair to say that he is outlining a pretty measured response. It's also reasonable to understand that although we are where we are at present we are only at the beginning of this whole adventure and to some degree real government responses can only be determined as it develops.

Interestingly one of his advisers (credit to him for having them there rather than give a dictated speech and fumble the questions) has just said that even in the highest risk patients the majority survive. This I think depends on appropriate medical intervention at the right time and that is where I have my doubts not only with medical capacity but also how many elderly (and perhaps others) will actually realise that they need hospitalisation.

China has their 'spies' who are duty bound to monitor the citizens, we don't have quite that network.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=17927 time=1583231426 user_id=51
It's not the dying, it's knowing where you go afterwards that's important. I'm going to somewhere better.

"To live is Christ, to die is gain".

"The dying is easy, it is the living that defeats us." (The shoes of the fisherman.)

Barry

It's not the dying, it's knowing where you go afterwards that's important. I'm going to somewhere better.

"To live is Christ, to die is gain".
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

The eventually could be a long way off for some of our younger people .

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1249305/Humans-ageing-science-scientist-Aubrey-de-Grey-health-disease-biomedical">https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/ ... biomedical">https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1249305/Humans-ageing-science-scientist-Aubrey-de-Grey-health-disease-biomedical

Wonder what the share price in Zimmer frames is ?

papasmurf