Main Menu

It'll be tough!

Started by T00ts, March 18, 2020, 10:02:07 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=19126 time=1584808728 user_id=51
I dare say it's the biggest thing that's happened to Devon and Cornwall police since the Torrey Canyon. The temporary ACC will be under a lot of pressure.

Actually it isn't the eclipse back in 1999 was.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

I dare say it's the biggest thing that's happened to Devon and Cornwall police since the Torrey Canyon. The temporary ACC will be under a lot of pressure.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19106 time=1584799179 user_id=54
Aren't they saying it's not to do with coronavirus? What else could it be?

A major incident has been declared by Devon & Cornwall Police in response to the outbreak of COVID-19, (coronavirus).

The declaration has been made to ensure that all agencies across the Devon & Cornwall Local Resilience Forum are co-ordinated and working as effectively as possible at a time of critical need.

It comes as Boris Johnson said the Government is telling pubs, cafes, nightclubs, bars, restaurants, theatres, leisure centres and gyms to close from tonight to fight coronavirus.

TACC Glen Mayhew, chair of the Devon and Cornwall LRF, said: "We are facing a critical public health situation nationwide and it is vital for blue light responders and partner organisations across our communities to work together and deal with the challenges which lie ahead over the coming days and weeks.

"Declaring this a major incident means we can put in place well-rehearsed structures and mechanisms for multi-agency working. Resilience plans already exist to help us protect and enable us to support our communities in the best way possible – keeping them informed and able to function.

"This has not been caused by a rise in cases of COVID-19, (coronavirus), in our region or because demand has meant agencies are unable to cope – it is a supportive measure to give strength to all agencies and partners and ensure we can assist each other at a time when we are all likely to see an effect on staffing and our respective agency's resilience."

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/devon-cornwall-police-just-declared-3969242">https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... ed-3969242">https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/devon-cornwall-police-just-declared-3969242

Also gives a credible reason as to why...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19109 time=1584799927 user_id=89
People from upcountry ignoring the government advice about essential travel. Coming on holiday is NOT essential travel and there are only 15 intensive care beds here.

The government has also not shut down camp sites/caravan sites/mobile home sites. (In France they had to be evacuated until further notice on the 16th of March.)

I suspect, (as there have already been death threats against holiday related sites actively encouraging people to Cornwall to self isolate.) that it could turn very ugly if there is a mass exodus from uncountry for Easter.

The government should take immediate action, to ban non essential travel.

as you may know pappy , we have a touring caravan , and we have only recently cancelled our break away in it for easter.

I havent logged on to the caravan club site for a few days since, but when last on there all sites were still open ( or due to open) and encouraging caravaners to stay.

I would imagine they will close as the government gradually locks down over the coming days or weeks.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19101 time=1584797605 user_id=54
My trip out although not long, was a bit of an eye opener. It looked the same as usual! Cars and people everywhere. Lots of folk looking my age and older even with grandchildren in tow, and crowds in the children's play park and the park coffee shop doing a roaring trade by the look of it. Out of town shopping car parks as full to overflowing as usual.

I was quite shocked.

Same here toots. lovely sunny day and a bit of a breeze , things look a normal saturday out and about.

Neighbour over the road is having building work done and the mini digger is in action as we speak.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19110 time=1584800045 user_id=89
Mebyon Cornwall is two men and a dog. However it could well happen that nursing homes are taken under local authority control.

That will put a few extra bob on the rates.Council nursing homes tend to be more expensive than private ones. Maybe we could ship all the oldies to Italy? Not only are the medical services alleged to be top rate, but there is plenty of sunshine and cheap plonk.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=19108 time=1584799471 user_id=62
Apparently Mebyon Kernow has closed the border and nationalised the old folks homes.  :shock:

Mebyon Cornwall is two men and a dog. However it could well happen that nursing homes are taken under local authority control.

papasmurf

People from upcountry ignoring the government advice about essential travel. Coming on holiday is NOT essential travel and there are only 15 intensive care beds here.

The government has also not shut down camp sites/caravan sites/mobile home sites. (In France they had to be evacuated until further notice on the 16th of March.)

I suspect, (as there have already been death threats against holiday related sites actively encouraging people to Cornwall to self isolate.) that it could turn very ugly if there is a mass exodus from uncountry for Easter.

The government should take immediate action, to ban non essential travel.

Borchester

Apparently Mebyon Kernow has closed the border and nationalised the old folks homes.  :shock:
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19102 time=1584798007 user_id=89
The police here in Cornwall have declared  a major incident. (I don't know what powers that gives them.)

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19101 time=1584797605 user_id=54
My trip out although not long, was a bit of an eye opener. It looked the same as usual! Cars and people everywhere. Lots of folk looking my age and older even with grandchildren in tow, and crowds in the children's play park and the park coffee shop doing a roaring trade by the look of it. Out of town shopping car parks as full to overflowing as usual.

I was quite shocked.

The police here in Cornwall have declared  a major incident. (I don't know what powers that gives them.)

T00ts

I was quite shocked.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19094 time=1584794789 user_id=54
Have you still got Homebase. Mine here has gone. I thought they had gone bust. Apart from that I read that Uncle Tom Cobbley and all are starting to grow veg in view of food shortages. Tomato seeds are at a premium so say. I wonder how these new gardeners will feel when their veg grows mis-shapen and without the packaging.  :D

Ain't that the truth.  :D

A while back I was listening to someone explain to a new allotment holder how to stop parsnips and carrots forking. He advised digging a trench down to Australia and filling it with the waste products of every incontinent horse in the country. For once I kept my mouth shut but was sorely tempted to say it makes zilch difference to the taste whatever shape the vegetables are, so wash them and them chuck them in the stew pot and that will be that problem solved.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: "Bright Young Thing" post_id=19096 time=1584795549 user_id=49
Walking into the food hall at Marks earlier, you wouldn't have been aware there was an issue with food supplies.

You were lucky. It is a near riot situation in some areas. A biker friend "had words" with a stroppy bastard harassing a cashier at a supermarket and insisting he would not accepts any of the supermarket rationing.  He just took was he was allowed after he was "persuaded."

It really is time the government imposed rationing AND enforced it.

Bright Young Thing

Quote from: Borchester post_id=19088 time=1584786601 user_id=62
Good thinking BYT. Yesterday Herself decided that a joint of pork might be just the thing and in a world where the pigs have refused to end up on the bacon counters, she schlepped down to Marks and Sparks at Swiss Cottage where all the Jews shop for the Passover. She returned with the last chunk of gammon in north London.   :D

Walking into the food hall at Marks earlier, you wouldn't have been aware there was an issue with food supplies. The only thing not available was loo roll. All shelves were well stocked, no panicking and no longer a wait than usual at the tills. I even managed to get some hand soap for me and my daughter. All in all a stress free environment and just what I needed.

Home now, just having lunch and then going to sort out some clothes and stuff - already got a bag filled ready to go to charity after this is all over.

Heads up people, keep safe and continue to remember what we all CAN do, instead of focusing on what we can't. its a chance to stop, get off the constant work/pub/shopping wheel, and see what life really is about.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>