Main Menu

It'll be tough!

Started by T00ts, March 18, 2020, 10:02:07 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=19087 time=1584785443 user_id=62
As my mum used to say to my sister, there is no need to be good, just be careful.  :D

I have just had a terrible thought. I usually get my seed potatoes from Homebase because their stock control is awful. Usually there is not only mountains of spuds on special offer but they have usually started to chit, which is a labour saved.

But suppose folk have started to buy them to eat? I have already gotten my first earlies in but have done nothing about the second earlies and maincrop. This flu is going to be tougher than I thought.

Have you still got Homebase. Mine here has gone. I thought they had gone bust. Apart from that I read that Uncle Tom Cobbley and all are starting to grow veg in view of food shortages. Tomato seeds are at a premium so say. I wonder how these new gardeners will feel when their veg grows mis-shapen and without the packaging.  :D

Borchester

Quote from: "Bright Young Thing" post_id=19086 time=1584784767 user_id=49
My parent may be elderly but they still contribute a lot to society with volunteering and lots of other stuff. They are both well, but it's still a frightening situation for them and for me. Can you imagine how guilty I would feel passing this onto them? Suits your agenda down to the ground though eh Wiggles. Lets just hope your immune system is tip top and you don't catch it. Whatever would we do without the forum WUM  :oops:  :fcplm:  :kikass:

Anyway, that's my last angry post on it. It's a new day, the sun is shining and I'm counting my blessings. Off (with gloves and hand sanitiser) to Marks and Spensive for one last hurrah in the food hall. I might be stuck at home but I will have nice stuff to eat!

Good thinking BYT. Yesterday Herself decided that a joint of pork might be just the thing and in a world where the pigs have refused to end up on the bacon counters, she schlepped down to Marks and Sparks at Swiss Cottage where all the Jews shop for the Passover. She returned with the last chunk of gammon in north London.   :D
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19085 time=1584783442 user_id=54
Today the sun is shining in a pretty blue sky and I need a change of scene. So I am going to crank up the car that has sat for long enough and give the engine a blow and go and look at a different vista. I don't intend to mix with anyone but I do hope to get the breeze in my face and some idea what the rest of the world is up to.

The weeds in my garden need some sorting but that doesn't appeal and anyway the ground is too wet, so after 2 weeks of staying within these walls I'm off OUT!!!! I promise to be good.

As my mum used to say to my sister, there is no need to be good, just be careful.  :D

I have just had a terrible thought. I usually get my seed potatoes from Homebase because their stock control is awful. Usually there is not only mountains of spuds on special offer but they have usually started to chit, which is a labour saved.

But suppose folk have started to buy them to eat? I have already gotten my first earlies in but have done nothing about the second earlies and maincrop. This flu is going to be tougher than I thought.
Algerie Francais !

Bright Young Thing

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=19082 time=1584776347 user_id=87
I am convinced there is only one way out of this, and that's to let nature do it's stuff. Allow the virus to spread at the rate it wished, whilst the fit and young develop some sort of defense. Along the way the older and more vulnerable  people who chose not to isolate may die, but what the heck, the planet has 8 billion people, many of which offer nothing to their society.

My parent may be elderly but they still contribute a lot to society with volunteering and lots of other stuff. They are both well, but it's still a frightening situation for them and for me. Can you imagine how guilty I would feel passing this onto them? Suits your agenda down to the ground though eh Wiggles. Lets just hope your immune system is tip top and you don't catch it. Whatever would we do without the forum WUM  :oops:  :fcplm:  :kikass:

Anyway, that's my last angry post on it. It's a new day, the sun is shining and I'm counting my blessings. Off (with gloves and hand sanitiser) to Marks and Spensive for one last hurrah in the food hall. I might be stuck at home but I will have nice stuff to eat!
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

T00ts

Today the sun is shining in a pretty blue sky and I need a change of scene. So I am going to crank up the car that has sat for long enough and give the engine a blow and go and look at a different vista. I don't intend to mix with anyone but I do hope to get the breeze in my face and some idea what the rest of the world is up to.

The weeds in my garden need some sorting but that doesn't appeal and anyway the ground is too wet, so after 2 weeks of staying within these walls I'm off OUT!!!! I promise to be good.

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=19083 time=1584779489 user_id=63
Well, here we go.

Day One of my enforced house arrest at my employer's insistence. It seems they are of a like mind to the DSS, having employees die at their desks is bad PR.  I shall slip my bonds in five minutes, dodge the guard cat at the door and make off to raid the butchers. I reckon a couple of good hacking coughs at the door should clear a path.

I was born with a hacking cough and when I sneeze it is like the Queen Elizabeth II arriving in New York. So when I get on a bus I don't just get a seat they throw in a bus route as well. And I am always getting coughs and colds and leprosy so this new bug will have to join a pretty long queue. But it is tough on Toots and Bright Young Thing. When you are worried there is nothing worse than having someone tell you not to worry, so don't hold back, let rip. Herself, who is afflicted by a sort of happy negativity has already spent the morning swapping scare stories with her mates and decided that the only solution is that I decorate the stairs. I can see myself falling off the ladder, breaking both legs and being turned away from The Royal Free because they only take Covid 19 cases. Mind you, the place is a plague pit anyway so I might be better off tanking up on brandy and self amputating.

:D
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Well, here we go.

Day One of my enforced house arrest at my employer's insistence. It seems they are of a like mind to the DSS, having employees die at their desks is bad PR.  I shall slip my bonds in five minutes, dodge the guard cat at the door and make off to raid the butchers. I reckon a couple of good hacking coughs at the door should clear a path.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Wiggles

I am convinced there is only one way out of this, and that's to let nature do it's stuff. Allow the virus to spread at the rate it wished, whilst the fit and young develop some sort of defense. Along the way the older and more vulnerable  people who chose not to isolate may die, but what the heck, the planet has 8 billion people, many of which offer nothing to their society.
A hand up, not a hand out

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Bright Young Thing" post_id=19063 time=1584739957 user_id=49
I'm cracking tonight, anxiety is pretty bad. I've self isolated for a week as had a cough and a slight temperature last weekend, thankfully it's turned out to be a sinus/fluey thing so I'm off back to work on Monday.

I'm in Education so will be expected to assist with one of the hubs for children of frontline staff. I know its my job, and morally I want to help out to ensure that necessary staff can get to work but it scares the hell out of me. For various reasons, I currently live with my parents, both of whom are over 70 and I'm terrified of picking the virus up and passing it onto them. I'm taking so many precautions but it's still a very real risk.

Anyone else think it all feels a bit like a dream, like we're going to wake up and it's all going to be okay?

I'll admit it, I'm scared and I'm feeling so vulnerable right now.

I think some rational concern needs to.be input.

Have your elderly relatives ever smoked ? Apart from being elderly do they have any of the illnesses that give you free flu Jab, free sight tests...

Moiras cousin is self isolating because a confirmed case meandered into his church... he's well into his 70s.

I'm sitting typing this in the pub. Where I have been since 10pm. Having a last pint before boris delivers the alcohol nazi's wildest dream. A pub free britain.

I've got Colin's number on speed dial. I wont be going to see him any time soon.

But I wont be cowed by a bug a hundredth as lethal as the ones that tried to.get me in my earlier years. But then I know at the molecular level I'm as tough as old boots.....

My eldest is a key school worker. She is required in a secondary school shes never been in on monday, miles from her regular job. And the wankers who.have demanded this have made no provision for her daughter because her part time status means she doesnt qualify to have her daughter classed as the child of a key worker.

So I will be sneaking off my work from home remit to pick both up take one to the bus station by 9:30 then taking the other home to babysit, in violation of boris's statement. Because the alternative is leave a nine year old home alone.

You couldn't f******g make this up ...

Sorry, it's a total clusterf**k.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

I'm cracking tonight, anxiety is pretty bad. I've self isolated for a week as had a cough and a slight temperature last weekend, thankfully it's turned out to be a sinus/fluey thing so I'm off back to work on Monday.

I'm in Education so will be expected to assist with one of the hubs for children of frontline staff. I know its my job, and morally I want to help out to ensure that necessary staff can get to work but it scares the hell out of me. For various reasons, I currently live with my parents, both of whom are over 70 and I'm terrified of picking the virus up and passing it onto them. I'm taking so many precautions but it's still a very real risk.

Anyone else think it all feels a bit like a dream, like we're going to wake up and it's all going to be okay?

Have your elderly relatives ever smoked ? Apart from being elderly do they have any of the illnesses that give you free flu Jab, free sight tests...

Moiras cousin is self isolating because a confirmed case meandered into his church... he's well into his 70s.

I'm sitting typing this in the pub. Where I have been since 10pm. Having a last pint before boris delivers the alcohol nazi's wildest dream. A pub free britain.

I've got Colin's number on speed dial. I wont be going to see him any time soon.

But I wont be cowed by a bug a hundredth as lethal as the ones that tried to.get me in my earlier years. But then I know at the molecular level I'm as tough as old boots.....

My eldest is a key school worker. She is required in a secondary school shes never been in on monday, miles from her regular job. And the wankers who.have demanded this have made no provision for her daughter because her part time status means she doesnt qualify to have her daughter classed as the child of a key worker.

So I will be sneaking off my work from home remit to pick both up take one to the bus station by 9:30 then taking the other home to babysit, in violation of boris's statement. Because the alternative is leave a nine year old home alone.

johnofgwent

johnofgwent

johnofgwent

johnofgwent

johnofgwent