Why are the shop shelves empty?

Started by Borchester, March 19, 2020, 08:25:23 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=19089 time=1584789137 user_id=53
I was in the club having a quiet pint when the news came through that the shutdown was on the cards , asap  if you don't mind .  I guess we all knew it was coming . One for the road then and call the boy to come pick me up . My son arrived as the club started to rapidly fill with people with no sense on a mission to get pissed it being their last chance in this lifetime of course.  :shrg:

Anyway on the way back we pulled into the local shop ,pilled high with goods that are being fought over in Tescos .''need eggs '' Gupta asked ..''plenty toilet paper look'' as he pointed to the loory load above the wine shelves .  No just these eight cans of Stella  for me and .....what !

The lads got a £6 tub  of haribo in his hand . Now Ive seen the panic buying at first hand , not a good reflection of our  society but panic buying haribo took it to a whole new level   :lol:

:D
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

our entertainment last night funnily enough was the local facebook community page.

The hysterics were in total meltdown because a few wind up merchants posted pictures from the local pub , one guy had his arms around the barmaids with a pint in his hand with a big thankyou message to the barmaids for all they do .

Well , the feckin site went into meltdown. The arguments and comments were as funny as feck , even the wife got in on the arguments , and she is normally as quiet as a mouse.

I had tears running down my face rolling around the carpet laughing.

The longer this goes on the more im going into "feck it" mode.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=19089 time=1584789137 user_id=53
I was in the club having a quiet pint when the news came through that the shutdown was on the cards , asap  if you don't mind .  I guess we all knew it was coming . One for the road then and call the boy to come pick me up . My son arrived as the club started to rapidly fill with people with no sense on a mission to get pissed it being their last chance in this lifetime of course.  :shrg:

Anyway on the way back we pulled into the local shop ,pilled high with goods that are being fought over in Tescos .''need eggs '' Gupta asked ..''plenty toilet paper look'' as he pointed to the loory load above the wine shelves .  No just these eight cans of Stella  for me and .....what !

The lads got a £6 tub  of haribo in his hand . Now Ive seen the panic buying at first hand , not a good reflection of our  society but panic buying haribo took it to a whole new level   :lol:

Same here streetwalker. we went to our local last night. I did say to the wife i thought this week might be the last semi normal week.

Pub was not obviously as busy as normal , but still relatively busy considering.

I would imagine over the next few weeks we are on the gradual road to total lockdown.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Hyperduck Quack Quack

I think it started with people sensibly buying a bit extra in case they're ill and have to self-isolate.  

Then people saw the shelves emptying and thought they need to stock up ASAP or they'll go hungry.

Also a lot of people are shopping for themselves and others who can't or shouldn't go out.

Finally there's panic buying and profiteering.

I don't understand the toilet roll thing though - maybe people were thinking of Noravirus or e-coli or something.

I do reckon it wouldn't take a huge increase in demand to empty the shelves of toilet rolls over a few hours though. The large packs are big bulky items and when they run out people who want to buy them would buy multiple small packs instead, so they'd run out quicker too.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18989 time=1584649523 user_id=62
If there has been panic buying I would expect the shop owners to say ahha, a sales opportunity and takes advantage of the situation by restocking sharpish. but they ain't.

They are restocking but due to selfish morons the shelves are emptying faster than they are able to be refilled.

The government should have bought in rationing from day one, and put armed police/army outside supermarkets to enforce it.

My wife and I have had a fully stocked emergency cupboard for decades just in case of a situation like the current one.

Apparently electrical goods shops are selling out of freezers because of panic buyers.

Given power cuts are likely in the current situation they may regret that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=18998 time=1584650877 user_id=53
LOL , yes some of the things like bogroll you make a good point but the pork chops and Chicken shortage are definitely people filling up the freezer

I imagine the logic goes something like - everyone ill so we need food in case we can't get out to get it. On the other hand others will think EU closing borders then food won't get across the channel. Yet others are thinking there won't be any lorry drivers so deliveries won't make it to the shops and if Tracy down the road thinks there'll be a shortage I'd better get there first. Then there's Kevin who just had a brainwave based on supply and demand.

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts post_id=18996 time=1584650275 user_id=54
No no no you have it all wrong. They are stripped by new world entrepreneurs who then sell at extortionate prices on Ebay. Isn't that what BJ was referring to when he mentioned the economy bouncing back?

LOL , yes some of the things like bogroll you make a good point but the pork chops and Chicken shortage are definitely people filling up the freezer

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=18994 time=1584649776 user_id=53
Although they say there are plenty of supplies its getting it to the shops that's the problem . People just need to slow down and relax

No no no you have it all wrong. They are stripped by new world entrepreneurs who then sell at extortionate prices on Ebay. Isn't that what BJ was referring to when he mentioned the economy bouncing back?

Streetwalker

Although they say there are plenty of supplies its getting it to the shops that's the problem . People just need to slow down and relax

Borchester

If there has been panic buying I would expect the shop owners to say ahha, a sales opportunity and takes advantage of the situation by restocking sharpish. but they ain't.
Algerie Francais !