How well is the government handling the pandemic?

Started by BeElBeeBub, March 20, 2020, 03:49:30 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=19382 time=1585054682 user_id=59
But the again, if no one is going out to eat, they are buying all that meat themselves.  I must say, Tesco is very low on pork.

Tesco have closed all their meat and fish counters. As for pork there is a world shortage of it due to African Swine Fever. A problem now added to by Covid-19 in China cutting domestic supply.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19381 time=1585054451 user_id=89
The local butcher will have plenty of meat because all the pubs hotels and restaurants are shut.

But the again, if no one is going out to eat, they are buying all that meat themselves.  I must say, Tesco is very low on pork.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=19380 time=1585054283 user_id=59
I assume the butchers are short of meat, not toilet roll, (or maybe both).  

The local butcher will have plenty of meat because all the pubs hotels and restaurants are shut.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Scott777

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=19359 time=1585036216 user_id=88
(Forgive me, but I did have a small chuckle at your avatar given your post)

Delivery drivers are also in short supply. Our local butcher has seen a 3x increase in demand and they are struggling to get supplies.

I assume the butchers are short of meat, not toilet roll, (or maybe both).   ;)

PS, my avatar is not of my own making, but that is an odd coincidence.  Well, if you can't have a laugh when you are chained to your sofa for a month..... .  That picture is probably staying there until either the EU gets flushed, or else someone sends me some bog roll.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=19371 time=1585050847 user_id=51
Battersea dogs home will do.

Will do
Algerie Francais !

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=19367 time=1585043872 user_id=51
You can always do it the Spanish/Greek way and have a bin for the paper, if using kitchen roll or other non flushables.

Best to have a bin with a lid - empty it daily.

Hoity toity

When we were in Portugal the thing in the country districts was to have a spanking new toilet that flushed by way of a veritable Niagara from a vast overhead cistern. The senhoras were delighted with them and loved to show them off to guests. Of course, being intelligent country folk they themselves tended to use a movable outhouse located in the vegetable patch. I liked those folk. If ever they got a case of Covid 19 they would have eaten it.

Barry, the email thingy does not seem to work my end or maybe I can't find where to stick the stamp. Please post the link to the dog charity so that I can settle up.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

You can always do it the Spanish/Greek way and have a bin for the paper, if using kitchen roll or other non flushables.

Best to have a bin with a lid - empty it daily.
† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=19161 time=1584816802 user_id=59
I'm struggling to find any sanity at the moment, or is it sanitary?  Running low on the bog roll, none in shops, none online.  That's currently more of a concern than the shutdown.  A month of no pubs and food joints is manageable, but there are limits.  Shutting down public transport is bad.

(Forgive me, but I did have a small chuckle at your avatar given your post)

It's crazy at the mo, the panic buying is totally unnecessary but once it gets going it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

That said my my local supermarket seems to be getting to grips with things apart from big roll.  Bog roll is a tricky one because it's so bulky so takes a lot of transporting.

Delivery drivers are also in short supply. Our local butcher has seen a 3x increase in demand and they are struggling to get supplies. Not because there's a shortage of stuff (all the wholesalers that supplied restaurants are now looking for buyers) but because they can't get them delivered. They wholesalers have 11 drivers off sick!

This is why testing is so important. I've bet some of those self isolating don't need to because they or their family member have aren't actually CV.  A local family isolated because their youngest had a fever.  4 days later was tonsillitis.

Finally if you do run short of bog roll, as someone who spends a depressing amount of their time unblocking sewers, *don't* use substitutes like newspaper and especially kitchen roll. It will clog the sewers and then things really will turn shitty. If you're completely out, wipe your backside with your hand and a bowl of water.  :o

Best of luck and stay safe!

Scott777

Quote from: Javert post_id=19197 time=1584896082 user_id=64
This information came from a study of Chinese Patients and information about the progression of the disease, and by my understanding included techniques to add in those who suffered at home.

Can you direct me to the data?  I suspect it's just those with significant symptoms and who reported it.

cromwell

Quote from: PhantomPhlyer post_id=19231 time=1584907625 user_id=82
We've just had a FaceTime call with a couple of our Chinese friends, who live in the Guangdong area of China ( just north of Hong Kong, ) and their one year old , and then  her parents, each of whom is looking & feeling fine!

They live in a gated property within a gated development, ( for well off Chinese ) and they are livid that people seem to be blasé about the virus and not isolating themselves despite the advice to the contrary?

They are somewhat concerned about what they feel are the inaccuracies in ,and  skewed reporting of , the Corona Virus in the British media.

They do not deny that the outbreak started in China, just as they are fully conversant with and accept responsibility for the outbreaks of other viruses which originated there but they feel that not enough cover is being given to the restrictions placed upon them, to try and contain the virus nor to the recovery of so many in the Country, or to their other successes in the fight against this devil.

We explained our situation in that we are in self isolation, I am spending most of each day at the kitchen table, with Mrs Phlyer and her dog ,using the lounge, and the big TV of course!

Just before our friends called, I was sorting out the spare bedroom for myself to  relax in over the next few months?

It has a single bed in it ( in case I wear myself out doing all these recommended exercises) as well as a reclining chair (with footrest), and a small TV loaded with a Now TV entertainment package and Prime Video, with hundreds of TV shows and films, available & of course my trusty iPad , lap top and phones, and several yet unread John Grisham novels , and I have just got me a Nespresso machine out of the loft ( ex M in L's  ) and plugged in a small caravan type fridge  which just about holds a couple of milk cartons and a couple of Kit Kat's  - the heating is on, and I have a shower room to myself, so, as I told them, self  isolation  , ' it ain't too bad' !.

inaccuracies in ,and skewed reporting of the Corona Virus in the British media.

Who'd have thought it.

Heard a report today of Chinese people again being attacked by the devoid of IQ in the UK,perhaps it did originate in China but doesn't justify such actions,the Spanish flu though didn't originate in Spain so who knows for sure?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: PhantomPhlyer post_id=19231 time=1584907625 user_id=82

We explained our situation in that we are in self isolation, I am spending most of each day at the kitchen table, with Mrs Phlyer and her dog ,using the lounge, and the big TV of course!

Just before our friends called, I was sorting out the spare bedroom for myself to  relax in over the next few months?

It has a single bed in it ( in case I wear myself out doing all these recommended exercises) as well as a reclining chair (with footrest), and a small TV loaded with a Now TV entertainment package and Prime Video, with hundreds of TV shows and films, available & of course my trusty iPad , lap top and phones, and several yet unread John Grisham novels , and I have just got me a Nespresso machine out of the loft ( ex M in L's  ) and plugged in a small caravan type fridge  which just about holds a couple of milk cartons and a couple of Kit Kat's  - the heating is on, and I have a shower room to myself, so, as I told them, self  isolation  , ' it ain't too bad' !.

:thup:
Algerie Francais !

PhantomPhlyer

We've just had a FaceTime call with a couple of our Chinese friends, who live in the Guangdong area of China ( just north of Hong Kong, ) and their one year old , and then  her parents, each of whom is looking & feeling fine!

They live in a gated property within a gated development, ( for well off Chinese ) and they are livid that people seem to be blasé about the virus and not isolating themselves despite the advice to the contrary?

They are somewhat concerned about what they feel are the inaccuracies in ,and  skewed reporting of , the Corona Virus in the British media.

They do not deny that the outbreak started in China, just as they are fully conversant with and accept responsibility for the outbreaks of other viruses which originated there but they feel that not enough cover is being given to the restrictions placed upon them, to try and contain the virus nor to the recovery of so many in the Country, or to their other successes in the fight against this devil.

Javert

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=19165 time=1584817698 user_id=59
Not correct.  Maybe 15-20% of people with significant symptoms require medical intervention.  People with mild or no symptoms do not get tested.

This information came from a study of Chinese Patients and information about the progression of the disease, and by my understanding included techniques to add in those who suffered at home.

I know there is still quite a bit of debate about how many people are getting it mildly and never being tested, but this study stated that based on their data, 15-20% of people will become very ill.

I am bit incorrect in that I think it said only 8-10% will actually need hospital admission.

The current scientific opinion seems to be that  isn't far off, and it's supported by the disastrous death rates we are already seeing in Iran and Italy, and probably a few other countries that haven't admitted it yet.

GregB

Quote from: Thomas post_id=19148 time=1584814437 user_id=58
:lol:

The "bastard english"  just called me there for dinner.

To be fair as i said borkie i think the scot gov and uk gov are doing a great job , its just all the uncertainty and detail that is worrying folk.

I just want to survive ( business wise as well as family friends health )and cover my bills , nothing more , and i will be more than happy.

Dont forget you might be able to get a 3 month mortgage holiday which may well be extended assuming you have one. Usually a big chunk of mosts monthly income  :D