How well is the government handling the pandemic?

Started by BeElBeeBub, March 20, 2020, 03:49:30 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas post_id=19164 time=1584817595 user_id=58
... , and now has to stay at home in the evening and talk to the wife.

I 'd like to get a word in edge ways. I have gotten half the stairs done and now she wants the kitchen done. Maybe someone will start panic buying up all the Leyland's Brilliant White Matt Emulsion..
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas post_id=19156 time=1584816113 user_id=58
:thup:

Just to say , to the bloke who stole my antidepressants.........hope your happy now!

:hattip
Algerie Francais !

Scott777

And one more vital point about lack of bog roll.  It reminds me of the old joke,

"Which hand do you wipe your bum with?

My right hand.

Errr, I use toilet paper."

Sorry, couldn't resist.   :shrg:
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: Javert post_id=19095 time=1584794812 user_id=64
 but the really scary part is that about 15-20% of people who get it require significant medical intervention and if they don't get that they are at risk of death,

Not correct.  Maybe 15-20% of people with significant symptoms require medical intervention.  People with mild or no symptoms do not get tested.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Thomas

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=19161 time=1584816802 user_id=59
I'm struggling to find any sanity at the moment, or is it sanitary?  Running low on the bog roll, none in shops, none online.  That's currently more of a concern than the shutdown.  A month of no pubs and food joints is manageable, but there are limits.  Shutting down public transport is bad.

my mate said today his life is in tatters.........no roll in bacon in the morning anymore , no evening pint down the pub and no weekends spent at the pole dancing club. :roll: To top it off  , he has lost a lot of his income , and now has to stay at home in the evening and talk to the wife.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19160 time=1584816663 user_id=54
Can I ask a moot question? Are you pleased that we (Scotland as part of the UK) are all in it together? Or do you feel that Scottish independence would have made it any different?

nope  , i wish scotland was independent more than ever , every single day. In fact what i have seen   , again , regarding how small indy countries like denmark or norway , even ireland are coping and the decisions they are making for the benefit of their own citizens make me even more determined.

The "empire"  , and scotland sadly as part of it , are paying for example the lowest statutory sick pay ,among many other things  , tht is the lowest level in western europe , with even wee independent ireland paying a higher rate.

Scottish independence in 2014 wouldnt have stopped coronvirus in 2020 , but it would have ensured we were better prepared to deal with it  with the powers of a completely independent country at our disposal.

I have been trying not to make too much political capital out of it because to me it just sounds petty at a time like this  , but by feck am i more than ever convinced of the necessity to gain independence........and we will.

cromwell

Just to say , to the bloke who stole my antidepressants.........hope your happy now!

:lol:
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Scott777

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=19034 time=1584719370 user_id=88
Hello all, I hope you're all managing to stay healthy and sane.

Given things seem to be escalating pretty quick at the moment, what do you think of the government's handling of this?

Have they got it right or have the over/under reacted?

I'm struggling to find any sanity at the moment, or is it sanitary?  Running low on the bog roll, none in shops, none online.  That's currently more of a concern than the shutdown.  A month of no pubs and food joints is manageable, but there are limits.  Shutting down public transport is bad.

T00ts

Can I ask a moot question? Are you pleased that we (Scotland as part of the UK) are all in it together? Or do you feel that Scottish independence would have made it any different?

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=19152 time=1584815270 user_id=48
Well I am working on the theory that if there's a possibility of dying might as well go half cut  :lol:

:hattip
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell post_id=19152 time=1584815270 user_id=48
Well I am working on the theory that if there's a possibility of dying might as well go half cut  :lol:

patman post

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=19146 time=1584813771 user_id=88
We are always told (with good reason) how we are a hub for pharma and biotech.  [Why] weren't these facilities spinning up weeks ago?  We should be testing many tens of thousands a day now.  We should be random sampling the population to get an idea of asymptomatic spread, reinfection rates, geographic clustering etc.

An example of excelling in R&D but then offloading manufacture off-shore. Luckily (?), Brexit has caused the NHS, life science, and pharma companies and distributors to already be addressing/aware of this problem...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas post_id=19149 time=1584814678 user_id=58
Cromwell i was laughing like feck as i said thursday morning , was outside a retail park and folk queuing for marks and spencers.

A lot of them were auldies and they were coming out wae bags of alcohol. :roll:  :lol:

A lot of vulnerable people in many walks of life at the minute who will be worried sick about this virus on top of everything else.

Just got a message as well there from a family member saying apparently the virus is being spread at petrol pumps , so to make sure we all wear gloves when filling up.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell post_id=19139 time=1584810596 user_id=48
I'd be hungover too but Lidl had run out of beer :(

Actually was reading a story of one small business just set up a restaurant new place lot of money invested,stock bought and now can't open.

Fair play to the bloke he is trying to keep the staff on and is using his stock to cook meals for older people unable to shop or isolated in his locale and only charging cost of produce.

Hope when it's all over he's remembered and his business takes off.

The other problem I think are the homeless they are very vulnerable.

Cromwell i was laughing like feck as i said thursday morning , was outside a retail park and folk queuing for marks and spencers.

A lot of them were auldies and they were coming out wae bags of alcohol. :roll:  :lol:

A lot of vulnerable people in many walks of life at the minute who will be worried sick about this virus on top of everything else.

Just got a message as well there from a family member saying apparently the virus is being spread at petrol pumps , so to make sure we all wear gloves when filling up.

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester post_id=19138 time=1584810251 user_id=62
And even if they ain't (the backbone of the country that is), this is Tommy's chance to screw the bastard English so he should get stuck in. Apparently the limit is for folk earning up to £2500 per month which may not be much, but still better than a poke in the eye with a dry stick.

:lol:

The "bastard english"  just called me there for dinner.

To be fair as i said borkie i think the scot gov and uk gov are doing a great job , its just all the uncertainty and detail that is worrying folk.

I just want to survive ( business wise as well as family friends health )and cover my bills , nothing more , and i will be more than happy.