How well is the government handling the pandemic?

Started by BeElBeeBub, March 20, 2020, 03:49:30 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=19118 time=1584805303 user_id=51
As Papasmurf has confirmed there are no restrictions on travel within the UK, only advisories.

We took the grandkids to a local reservoir near to the Severn, yesterday. Kept away from all people and tried to educate them a bit on countryside matters. I won't stop travelling until I'm forced to. I will use my common sense to keep my distance from other people. British people don't respond well to being mandated to do anything in peacetime.

Were we told not to look after grandkids?  ;)

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=19118 time=1584805303 user_id=51
As Papasmurf has confirmed there are no restrictions on travel within the UK, only advisories.

We took the grandkids to a local reservoir near to the Severn, yesterday. Kept away from all people and tried to educate them a bit on countryside matters. I won't stop travelling until I'm forced to. I will use my common sense to keep my distance from other people. British people don't respond well to being mandated to do anything in peacetime.

The local "Butlitz" type of holiday park a few miles up the road from me has a total (fundamental orifice,) as an owner.

2500 people in close proximity, his restaurant and bar shut since the government closed them. Basically there is nothing for them to do even if they leave the site unless the go back from whence they  came.

The site owner is making a rod for his own back, as well as endangering those of us who live here.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19115 time=1584804519 user_id=54
No? I thought they were saying only yesterday not to travel unnecessarily. I fully expected troops on main arterial roads out of London. It was obvious that those who could leave would - and spread it afar. I know of one family who have kicked their grandfather out - they say he was more than willing - to stay with a friend so that they could have his house. My question was at what point were they likely to let him back in. If the kids are not at school and they work from 'home' they could be there for the duration.

i think toots barry is meaning no enforced  travel restrictions  , at the moment its just advice.

I think it will be the same as the pubs , on tuesday they advised not going to the pubs then friday they enforced the ban , so i think it may end up the same gradual approach to  banning travel.

I was at a retail park near where we live to do with work on thursday morning , and i arrived at 7.15 am. The car park is normally empty at that time , one of the supermarkets opens its doors at 8 am and the rest od the shops open at 9 am , so normally no one there. However , there were cars starting to park up , and by 7.45 there was a queue stretching around the car park of people jostling with each other waiting to get in and panic buy.

The same people ( some i recognised) who were complaining on our local facebook page last night about people going to our local pub were quite happy not to socially isolate when it suited them on thursday morning and potentially spread any virus were on their high horse about people doing the same in the pub friday night. None of this 6 foot distance malarkey in the queue as they pushed shoved and argued.

Can people not catch corona in the supermarket or something?

I laughed when someone commented that while sport is banned , there is plenty of boxing on view at the local supermarkets.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=19113 time=1584803669 user_id=51
Why don't you give the hospital a ring and see if they have a Dr Phoebe Heveron working for them. I bet they'll say, "Who?".

If people want to go to their second homes, they can. There's no restriction on travel, YET.

As she appeared on both local TV stations yesterday you are wrong.

The government has stated ESSENTIAL travel only, going on holiday is NOT essential travel. Bojo the Clown should have made that mandatory NOT advisory.

Then there is this:-

More at link:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-51975411">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-51975411

Coronavirus: 'Tourists will put services under pressure'

20 March 2020

South West MPs say tourists will put unnecessary strain on the NHS amid the coronavirus crisis.

Steve Double, MP for St Austell and Newquay and Anthony Mangnall, MP for Totnes, urged people not to come to the county on holiday.

The Prime Minister has said everyone should avoid "non-essential" travel.

One holiday resort has received death threats for encouraging visitors to self-isolate in flats in Cornwall.

Mr Double said on Facebook: "We have enough to deal with on our own without people coming here with the virus."

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=19113 time=1584803669 user_id=51
There's no restriction on travel, YET.

No? I thought they were saying only yesterday not to travel unnecessarily. I fully expected troops on main arterial roads out of London. It was obvious that those who could leave would - and spread it afar. I know of one family who have kicked their grandfather out - they say he was more than willing - to stay with a friend so that they could have his house. My question was at what point were they likely to let him back in. If the kids are not at school and they work from 'home' they could be there for the duration.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19107 time=1584799309 user_id=89
Don't come to Cornwall, coming here on holiday is NOT essential travel:-

https://www.transceltic.com/blog/dont-come-cornwall">https://www.transceltic.com/blog/dont-come-cornwall

Submitted by Kernow Matters to Us on March 20, 2020 - 7:33pm

"DON'T COME TO CORNWALL!" - Doctor Phoebe Heveron, Treliske Hospital

Why don't you give the hospital a ring and see if they have a Dr Phoebe Heveron working for them. I bet they'll say, "Who?".

If people want to go to their second homes, they can. There's no restriction on travel, YET.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Don't come to Cornwall, coming here on holiday is NOT essential travel:-

https://www.transceltic.com/blog/dont-come-cornwall">https://www.transceltic.com/blog/dont-come-cornwall

Submitted by Kernow Matters to Us on March 20, 2020 - 7:33pm

"DON'T COME TO CORNWALL!" - Doctor Phoebe Heveron, Treliske Hospital

We are pleased to bring to you all the following message from Dr. Heveron, one of our brave and committed doctors here in Cornwall.

These are her words:

"Hello all! Not something I want to post but as a doctor in Treliske I feel like I have to.

Please please please take covid seriously and stop all non essential contact with anyone.

It's going to be seriously bad in Cornwall and lots of people's lives will be at risk.

And second homers and holiday makers - PLEASE DON'T COME TO CORNWALL.

We're going to struggle with beds as it is without lots of extra people.

And you're likely to bring infection with you.

There will be plenty of other years to come on holiday.

Please please please think of everyone else and stay up country until the worst is over!"

cromwell

Quote from: Javert post_id=19095 time=1584794812 user_id=64
I think this is a time for teamwork and sticking together.  This is a major crisis facing the whole world and we should try to avoid arguing about things, accept that the government is trying to do the best possible and that things will change on a daily basis, and look after each other.

My wife is currently in the isolation ward at the local hospital waiting on Covid 19 test results due tomorrow, and everyone else in my house now has "symptoms consistent with", so I'm one of the ones hoping even more that most people will do their small bit to spread the cases over a longer period.

The poor paramedic who picked my wife up yesterday had only a basic mask and plastic robe and my wife was coughing a lot.  I really hope those masks are more effective than some people are saying.  She mentioned that half of the ambulance staff in our area are already unable to work either because they themselves are sick or they are forced to self isolate.  They have enough for now because many of the others have cancelled their holidays including her, or are doing overtime.

This virus has a death rate of probably less than 1%, but the really scary part is that about 15-20% of people who get it require significant medical intervention and if they don't get that they are at risk of death, so the death rate could go way up if everyone gets it at the same time and hospitals are overwhelmed, and that's not even considering the people with other unrelated illnesses who will die when the hospitals are full of CV19 patients.

Please consider others and do what they are asking - it's not forever and the worst of it will probably be over in 3 months, although some of it may carry on after that.

I can forsee that in about 4 or 5 months from now, you might have to show a "covid immune" certificate to get into the pub or whatever.  I'm sure the civil liberties discussions about that will be endless.

There was discussion on this thread about not enough testing.  In this part of it the government is being a bit political and this is where I do think politics has overrode just telling the truth for the last few days.

At the moment, there is no point rolling out mass testing because the only test they have, it will only come back positive if you have a pretty solid dose of the virus already active in your lungs.  Anyone who is incubating the virus but is not going to get ill for a few more days will test negative, so this will actually make things worse and give people a false sense of security.  

If they mass roll out the virus test, they would have to test everyone not just once, but regularly.

They are trying to perfect an antibody test which will tell whether someone has been recently exposed to the virus - that one does make sense to roll out to a very large number of people, and that will also help hospitals because they can start testing everyone who is admitted, and they can clear staff back to work who test positive etc.

I hope you all stay safe and also keep in mind over 80% of people who get Covid 19 would recover on their own with no medication and only mild symptoms.

All the very best to your wife you and your family and a positive outcome,look after yourselves,keep safe and as well as is possible under the circumstances.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

cromwell

I think this is a time for teamwork and sticking together.  This is a major crisis facing the whole world and we should try to avoid arguing about things, accept that the government is trying to do the best possible and that things will change on a daily basis, and look after each other.

My wife is currently in the isolation ward at the local hospital waiting on Covid 19 test results due tomorrow, and everyone else in my house now has "symptoms consistent with", so I'm one of the ones hoping even more that most people will do their small bit to spread the cases over a longer period.

The poor paramedic who picked my wife up yesterday had only a basic mask and plastic robe and my wife was coughing a lot.  I really hope those masks are more effective than some people are saying.  She mentioned that half of the ambulance staff in our area are already unable to work either because they themselves are sick or they are forced to self isolate.  They have enough for now because many of the others have cancelled their holidays including her, or are doing overtime.

This virus has a death rate of probably less than 1%, but the really scary part is that about 15-20% of people who get it require significant medical intervention and if they don't get that they are at risk of death, so the death rate could go way up if everyone gets it at the same time and hospitals are overwhelmed, and that's not even considering the people with other unrelated illnesses who will die when the hospitals are full of CV19 patients.

Please consider others and do what they are asking - it's not forever and the worst of it will probably be over in 3 months, although some of it may carry on after that.

I can forsee that in about 4 or 5 months from now, you might have to show a "covid immune" certificate to get into the pub or whatever.  I'm sure the civil liberties discussions about that will be endless.

There was discussion on this thread about not enough testing.  In this part of it the government is being a bit political and this is where I do think politics has overrode just telling the truth for the last few days.

At the moment, there is no point rolling out mass testing because the only test they have, it will only come back positive if you have a pretty solid dose of the virus already active in your lungs.  Anyone who is incubating the virus but is not going to get ill for a few more days will test negative, so this will actually make things worse and give people a false sense of security.  

If they mass roll out the virus test, they would have to test everyone not just once, but regularly.

They are trying to perfect an antibody test which will tell whether someone has been recently exposed to the virus - that one does make sense to roll out to a very large number of people, and that will also help hospitals because they can start testing everyone who is admitted, and they can clear staff back to work who test positive etc.

I hope you all stay safe and also keep in mind over 80% of people who get Covid 19 would recover on their own with no medication and only mild symptoms.

All the very best to your wife you and your family and a positive outcome,look after yourselves,keep safe and as well as is possible under the circumstances.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

I agree with every word of your post. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your personal experience. I pray that your wife, you and your family come out of this well. We all owe every bit of co-operation to help the NHS staff who are taking the brunt of this situation and our deep felt thanks. Thank you is never going to be enough.

Borchester

All the best for your wife Javert. If possible get her transferred to a teaching hospital. They tend to have the best staff and the belief that if the patients come in alive they should leave the same way.
Algerie Francais !

Bright Young Thing

Stay safe Javert - sending positive thoughts to both of you. Hope your wife recovers soon.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

Javert

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19068 time=1584741254 user_id=54
I stand corrected I thought it was 300.

It was. Three hundred deaths and my £200 coal money. Let me know when the bills of mortality reach the required figure.  :hattip
Algerie Francais !