How well is the government handling the pandemic?

Started by BeElBeeBub, March 20, 2020, 03:49:30 PM

« previous - next »

GregB

Pubs, clubs, gyms, cinemas, museums, restaurants are all to be closed from tonight so now there's little doubt what you need to do in that regard. Schools in the majority are also closing.

Unprecedented funds are planned for both business and workers and those less fortunate not to mention rent and mortgage relief to those who need it.

Pretty extension actions in my opinion and to Paraphrase the chancellor unprecedented measures in unprecedented times.

Some will say too little too late, others will say an over reaction.

Pretty progressive and decisive decisions from the government.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=19039 time=1584722890 user_id=63
As for the other points.

I feel they are coping a thousand fold better than the tossers in the Cardiff Senedd, who just told my daughter, a welsh medium primary school CA and lunchtime playground supervisor that she is a key worker and must therefore on Monday morning get herself to a welsh medium SECONDARY school she has never been inside before, while at the same time telling her that no provision has been made for her daughter.

And I don't need to tell you what a total f*cking pigs ear of it the wankers on the opposition would do if they had been allowed a chance...

We've got teachers being redeployed to other schools here in England.

Take the hot off the press news that pubs, restaurants cinemas, guns etc are closing, just a day or so after the advice was "don't go".

Does it sound like they planned to announce closing pubs about 3 hours before the Friday night rush?  

A proper plan would close them mid week, with proper notice so shifts could be canceled etc.

If you were always going to close pubs, why bother with the confusing "don't go, but go" messaging?

It all smacks of the government being behind the curve, which is a bad place to be when it's exponential.

A proper plan by a government who realised the gravity of this and planned for it would have been heavy messaging to prepare the population from early on (early Feb), laying out the problems and why drastic measures are needed.  

Get the public acquainted with what will need to be done and why.  Let them know the decision criteria for moving from one stage to the other and what the exit strategy is.

Did we have that? People are still mumbling "it's the flu" and (confusingly" "if we change our way of life, the virus wins" (wtf).

We watched china, Korea and Italy get hit and just puttered around believing we would be spared because no virus would dare infect British and anyway we survived the blitz so we're special.

Now we're fighting over toilet rolls.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19036 time=1584721798 user_id=54
I don't think any of us are in a position to judge. We don't have all the information any more than we have the answers. We do have a duty in all this in that we need to follow the plan laid out.

I agree, the question is: What is the plan?

QuoteI am confident that those leading this - and  it's not just BJ - think they have the right formula, but unless we all participate properly they will have no way of knowing if it's working or not,. Then they will start jigging it around without the right data.

I agree, there has to be mass "compliance" or measures will have no effect.

but there is confusion over what we are and aren't supposed to be doing.

Are we supposed to go to pubs or not?  The scientific advisers say no.  The PM's dad says we should go.  The PM's spokesperson today declined to say that Tim Martin was wrong to say "there has hardly been any transmission of the virus within pubs" (for reference over 30 cases have been tied back to a barman in an Austrian bar).

Net result is pubs stay open, some people go because they're not shut and....

The one huge failure is that they don't know how far it has spread. I don't know if it was even possible once the genie was out of the bottle, perhaps if they can get a viable after test to ascertain who has had it and is therefore free to pick the rest up or maintain an economy we might feel more confident.
Now on this we are 100% agreed.

QuoteWe are getting flack from the EU but I guess that was expected. They would like nothing more than to shift any blame to us rather than to incompetence in any of own members.

Should we extend? No. Let's get out as planned whatever.
In point of fact we have already left, we are already "out".

So even if in December, this is still dragging on and the economy is struggling to get back on it's feet in the new normal of reduced social contact, we should throw another big shock in?  Or do you think this will be "sorted in 12 weeks"?

johnofgwent

As for the other points.

I feel they are coping a thousand fold better than the tossers in the Cardiff Senedd, who just told my daughter, a welsh medium primary school CA and lunchtime playground supervisor that she is a key worker and must therefore on Monday morning get herself to a welsh medium SECONDARY school she has never been inside before, while at the same time telling her that no provision has been made for her daughter.

And I don't need to tell you what a total f*cking pigs ear of it the wankers on the opposition would do if they had been allowed a chance...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=19034 time=1584719370 user_id=88

And finally, should we extend the transition so we can get this out of the way and then get back to negotiating the future arrangement with the EU?

[size=200]F@@@ OFF[/size]
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Hello all, I hope you're all managing to stay healthy and sane.

Given things seem to be escalating pretty quick at the moment, what do you think of the government's handling of this?

Have they got it right or have the over/under reacted?

Do you think they have a plan or are they flailing about?

And finally, should we extend the transition so we can get this out of the way and then get back to negotiating the future arrangement with the EU?

I don't think any of us are in a position to judge. We don't have all the information any more than we have the answers. We do have a duty in all this in that we need to follow the plan laid out. I am confident that those leading this - and  it's not just BJ - think they have the right formula, but unless we all participate properly they will have no way of knowing if it's working or not,. Then they will start jigging it around without the right data.

The one huge failure is that they don't know how far it has spread. I don't know if it was even possible once the genie was out of the bottle, perhaps if they can get a viable after test to ascertain who has had it and is therefore free to pick the rest up or maintain an economy we might feel more confident. We are getting flack from the EU but I guess that was expected. They would like nothing more than to shift any blame to us rather than to incompetence in any of own members.

Should we extend? No. Let's get out as planned whatever.

papasmurf

They are flailing about. For instance France has shut down ALL camping/caravan sites, and except for residents they have had to be vacated.

Here in Cornwall there is a mass exodus of second home owners from London to Cornwall, then there is the mass invasion of tourists for Easter.

Currently there are only 10 cases of Covid-19 in Cornwall, if the government does not ban tourists and shut down tourist accommodation as they local say there will "ell up."

(All Cornish MP's are now on the case, due to a large number of their constituents "bending their ears."
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

BeElBeeBub

Hello all, I hope you're all managing to stay healthy and sane.

Given things seem to be escalating pretty quick at the moment, what do you think of the government's handling of this?

Have they got it right or have the over/under reacted?