Not going to Greece

Started by Barry, March 23, 2020, 12:56:53 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

We've emailed our accommodation as we are cancelling our trip to Greece later in the year, as we don't want to travel until a vaccine is available. Thankfully we had yet to book flights etc but sucks all the same.
Don't believe everything you think.

Barry

The bank will refund my money as I paid by credit card. I just have to fill in a form, if the company cannot provide evidence I had a holiday, they have not a leg to stand on and their account will be debited by the credit card company.

Streetwalker - Ho ho ho.  :crzy  :lol:
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Don't think anyones going anywhere . The government are now advising against any foreign travel for the foreseeable . As vague as ever but I guess that's that then .

Soon be Christmas .

Barry

Well, they've had more than enough time to refund so this is the company to avoid.

They both ignore the law and their own terms and conditions.

Ramblers Walking Holidays, Registered address

RWH Travel Ltd.

Registered in England, number 527266

Registered address:

Lemsford Mill

Lemsford Village

Welwyn Garden City

AL8 7TR, England
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=20256 time=1585997785 user_id=51
Yes! I'm not dead yet, but the company must be fighting bankruptcy.

My daughter, who is a financial whizz kid, has advised me to start a claim under section 75 of the credit card protection law.

I will next week, because Santander are stacked out with calls. I have 6 years to claim the money using this method.

Good advice I wouldn't linger.  :hattip

Barry

Yes! I'm not dead yet, but the company must be fighting bankruptcy.

My daughter, who is a financial whizz kid, has advised me to start a claim under section 75 of the credit card protection law.

I will next week, because Santander are stacked out with calls. I have 6 years to claim the money using this method.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=20208 time=1585990314 user_id=51
I'm sure you are right, so they have taken a management decision to ignore the law, borrow my money without authority, when they should be paying the consumers back and approaching their bank manager.

If they go bust entirely, ABTA will pay out in full. I also have the credit card company, and as a last resort, Cedar Tree travel insurance.

Other companies have given cash refunds, but this company (should I name them?) have chosen to ignore the law.

Consumer protection is supposed  to protect the consumer and give people confidence when making bookings.

The cynic in me says that the current chaos is giving many companies free reign with the possibility of course that refunds to heaven are impossible. Perhaps you should point out to them that you have survived the virus! At the same time their lack of confidence in the future must make it nigh on impossible to make decent business calls. I am relieved that I am no longer in business. I survived two recessions but this is something else. Having said all that I wouldn't wait. The important thing is to get your refund. If it be via any of the other options so be it before they too try to pull the rug. You will make your own judgement as to who will get any future business from you.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts post_id=20184 time=1585950164 user_id=54
Perhaps they see insolvency on the horizon and prefer you to have a few pence in the £ although no doubt banks will take first claim.

I'm sure you are right, so they have taken a management decision to ignore the law, borrow my money without authority, when they should be paying the consumers back and approaching their bank manager.

If they go bust entirely, ABTA will pay out in full. I also have the credit card company, and as a last resort, Cedar Tree travel insurance.

Other companies have given cash refunds, but this company (should I name them?) have chosen to ignore the law.

Consumer protection is supposed  to protect the consumer and give people confidence when making bookings.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=20179 time=1585941552 user_id=51
Further emails have been escalating up the company ladder. I insisted that the Package Travel regulations have not been relaxed and therefore they must refund my money by 1st April. Of course they have not sent the money back. Offered a voucher, but I didn't buy a voucher.

Reminded of the law again and they say they will redeem the voucher by 31st July at the latest.

I reminded them they are acting illegally, to which they replied "unprecedented situation".

In their latest email they suggested I might like to take action in the courts.

However, no need to do that, as I am covered under the credit card guarantee which will be my next port of call.

In the meantime the company are sending out "fluffy" emails thanking all customers for their patience and messages of support. I think they are trying to guilt trip us. No doubt there are other customers who think like me. Consumer protection is to protect the consumer against cancellation, but they are now using my cash to reduce their bank borrowing when the holiday money should be back in my account earning a modicum of interest.

Perhaps they see insolvency on the horizon and prefer you to have a few pence in the £ although no doubt banks will take first claim.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19255 time=1584970744 user_id=54
I have not heard that. Can they prove it? Sounds iffy to me. My daughter has had her money back within days from their tour operator. They did offer them a later holiday but didn't argue.

Further emails have been escalating up the company ladder. I insisted that the Package Travel regulations have not been relaxed and therefore they must refund my money by 1st April. Of course they have not sent the money back. Offered a voucher, but I didn't buy a voucher.

Reminded of the law again and they say they will redeem the voucher by 31st July at the latest.

I reminded them they are acting illegally, to which they replied "unprecedented situation".

In their latest email they suggested I might like to take action in the courts.

However, no need to do that, as I am covered under the credit card guarantee which will be my next port of call.

In the meantime the company are sending out "fluffy" emails thanking all customers for their patience and messages of support. I think they are trying to guilt trip us. No doubt there are other customers who think like me. Consumer protection is to protect the consumer against cancellation, but they are now using my cash to reduce their bank borrowing when the holiday money should be back in my account earning a modicum of interest.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=19288 time=1584979489 user_id=79
Well this virus has cost me a reunion meeting with a special lady that i have not seen in decades....

To say I am gutted is an understatement.

Sorry for the snip, thanks for being so open, we're all human and make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up too much and I hope you can soon get your trip done.  :thup:
† The end is nigh †

Wiggles

Don't expect anything to be easy. I had a golf break booked in Portugal in three weeks time. The company have agreed to refund us the money less the deposit. Again, this is illegal, but as the deposit is only £40 a person, I'm not going to fight it. Now we have to attempt to get the money back from the airline and the parking company.
A hand up, not a hand out

johnofgwent

In my case, the deposit has been paid (by credit card).and at £60 pp, exceeds the £100 minimum for consumer credit act cover.

The balance of about £1300 is due in mid July and no one knows anything yet, which is obvious since they're dealing with stuff a week at a time.

It will be a case of wait and see.

But I may not be able to arrange time off for an alternative, and in any case this was a wedding anniversary holiday. Not easy to do them at an alternative date is it...

So I can see this ending very badly
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19274 time=1584975602 user_id=89
Sorry for the newspaper reference but it looks as if refunds have been suspended:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/package-holiday-refund-rules-suspended-abta-coronavirus-a9417261.html">https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 17261.html">https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/package-holiday-refund-rules-suspended-abta-coronavirus-a9417261.html

Very good find, PS, thank you very much.  :hattip
† The end is nigh †

Sampanviking

Well this virus has cost me a reunion meeting with a special lady that i have not seen in decades.

She is from the Ugandan Asian community, we met over thirty years ago, she was 20 and I was 24. We totally fell head over heels for each other and had we been a normal young couple, left alone to get on with it, we would have been together every day since then.

But we were not. As I was not an Indian (let alone the right kind of Indian) her family were totally opposed and threaten to disown her forever if she married me.

We struggled on for 6 six years, unaware of the constant and criminal campaign of hate crime being conducted by them, against us. Eventually they wore us down, drove me into a full breakdown and convinced both of us that the other had dumped us, without so much as a word.

Twenty three years later she came back into my mind with a vengeance and this time (being older and wiser) I was able to work out what had actually been done to us.

That was a moment, that I can only describe as  like a Nuclear bomb going off in my head.

I was horrified as I realised that I had actually abandoned her and I was terrified that they would have then made her enter a forced marriage to punish her for being with me in the first place.

I knew then that I had to find her and make sure that she was all right, I was also prepared to do whatever it took to get her out, if she was in trouble.

I did find her and fortunately, she seems to be ok but in what I suspect is a pretty loveless arranged marriage that they jumped on her while on the rebound.

I eventually got her talking to me and we have become great friends again. There is still huge affection between us.

I was due to visit London on Friday in order to see her for the first time in 25 years.

This is now postponed indefinitely until the current situation improves.

To say I am gutted is an understatement.