Not going to Greece

Started by Barry, March 23, 2020, 12:56:53 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

To put it bluntly, I dont give a F@@@ about some jokers cosy arrangement, I have paid a deposit with a credit card which protects me under the consumer credit act.

The company can F@@@ with that at their peril

I strongly reccomend a brief chat with money saving expert ... who might perhaps laugh at you but at least everyone will know who to.hang
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=19278 time=1584976548 user_id=53

Does the travel company cancel and tell me my £££ can be used next year or do I effectively cancel when I don't pay the balance and loose my deposit . Either way I loose the £££ I've  guaranteed for the Hotel at the end .

There are no winners in the world of corona

You need to contact the travel company. In my case the ferry crossings I had to cancel, (One at VERY short notice,) one has been "vouchered," until the end of 2022 if necessary,)  and the other deferred until September.

I had a refund on one insurance and lost the other. (But as that was only £28 I am not going to burst into tears.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19274 time=1584975602 user_id=89
Sorry for the newspaper reference but it looks as if refunds have been suspended:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/package-holiday-refund-rules-suspended-abta-coronavirus-a9417261.html">https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 17261.html">https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/package-holiday-refund-rules-suspended-abta-coronavirus-a9417261.html

Thanks papa that was quite informative . I suppose letting the travel company hold my deposit wont effect my life in the foreseeable but this is going to be all about timing .

Does the travel company cancel and tell me my £££ can be used next year or do I effectively cancel when I don't pay the balance and loose my deposit . Either way I loose the £££ I've  guaranteed for the Hotel at the end .

There are no winners in the world of corona

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=19272 time=1584975287 user_id=53
Its a normal policy , my concern is paying the balance before they cancel the trip and then seeing my hard earned sitting in their bank account for at least a year .

I want to see Barrys relaxed conditions before committing

Sorry for the newspaper reference but it looks as if refunds have been suspended:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/package-holiday-refund-rules-suspended-abta-coronavirus-a9417261.html">https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 17261.html">https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/package-holiday-refund-rules-suspended-abta-coronavirus-a9417261.html

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19265 time=1584973482 user_id=89
Just check the company website under cancellations.

Its a normal policy , my concern is paying the balance before they cancel the trip and then seeing my hard earned sitting in their bank account for at least a year .

I want to see Barrys relaxed conditions before committing

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=19260 time=1584972882 user_id=53
 Im not sure where Ill stand

Just check the company website under cancellations.

Streetwalker

Well that's charming .  So our holiday money is now in  the possession of travel companies that have a good chance of going to the wall ?  I suppose we will get the money back eventually one way or another either by future bookings or through our insurance /.abta .

Ive got a few hundred on deposit for a trip in July . Im not sure where Ill stand if they haven't cancelled by the time the balance is due . There is no way Im handing over £3K and some for a trip that almost certainly wont happen .

Ive also got another £500 on the table  for a hotel that was a surprise add on (40th anv) at the end of the trip . They havnt taken the money yet but the contract was no refund for a no show .

Things could be worse .

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19255 time=1584970744 user_id=54
I have not heard that. Can they prove it? Sounds iffy to me. My daughter has had her money back within days from their tour operator. They did offer them a later holiday but didn't argue.

It depends on how long before a holiday you cancel it, or it is cancelled.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19255 time=1584970744 user_id=54
I have not heard that. Can they prove it? Sounds iffy to me. My daughter has had her money back within days from their tour operator. They did offer them a later holiday but didn't argue.

It does too. I think that it is less law and more the travel company being a bunch of crooks.

On the bright side, there are only 19 cases to go before we hit the magic 300 and I have to shell out. So if Barry would provide the link to that dogs' home he is so keen on I will dig out the debit card.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=19250 time=1584968213 user_id=51
We've had our 11 days holiday to Greece cancelled of course.

The company are refusing to return our money saying they will hold it for another holiday with them later.

That is not legal, but they say the terms and conditions have been relaxed whilst this crisis is on to protect the travel companies.

:dsh:

Barry

We've had our 11 days holiday to Greece cancelled of course.

The company are refusing to return our money saying they will hold it for another holiday with them later.

That is not legal, but they say the terms and conditions have been relaxed whilst this crisis is on to protect the travel companies.

:dsh:
† The end is nigh †