Social distancing and avoiding infection

Started by Barry, March 24, 2020, 06:24:15 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry post_id=19991 time=1585760703 user_id=51
There's some pretty non-PC posts in this thread, this might be seen as one of them. Anyway -

I was musing about if the death statistics were inverted and 0-10 years old were at 15% risk of death and the OAP's virtually fireproof. Now that, in my opinion would be far more tragic. However, some might say, "a life is a life", but I say a life cut short at 70 is not so tragic as a life cut short at 7.

We are socially distancing to protect those old and infirm, well, so be it.

It will be 2021 when the public enquiry starts into how the situation was handled, and there will have to be one.

Or a life in maesteg, is not worth sending an ambulance for. Well we found that out on dec 13th of course.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Wiggles

Quote from: Barry post_id=19991 time=1585760703 user_id=51
There's some pretty non-PC posts in this thread, this might be seen as one of them. Anyway -

I was musing about if the death statistics were inverted and 0-10 years old were at 15% risk of death and the OAP's virtually fireproof. Now that, in my opinion would be far more tragic. However, some might say, "a life is a life", but I say a life cut short at 70 is not so tragic as a life cut short at 7.

It will be 2021 when the public enquiry starts into how the situation was handled, and there will have to be one.

But it's all subjective. I believe that if the cost is a few thousand old people dead, in order we can put more money into the NHS when all this over, so we can in turn save more lives moving forward, so be it. Others believe that we have to save as many lives as we can in the short term, regardless of what happens in the future. The financially ignorant want both, but sorry, that aint going to happen. I believe the answer is to give everybody the information they need, then let everyone get on with it, not forgetting some support. If I get COVID-19 playing golf, while you have (or anybody) self isolate, the only person who will suffer is me and the people who decide to get on with their lives.

The government need to think this through carefully, there are more than lives at stake here
A hand up, not a hand out

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=19987 time=1585754796 user_id=87
Or possibly the security at Waitrose won't let you in at all  :D

I am going to the Waitrose in the Finchley Road where the nice Jewish ladies behind the tills will think,  meshugganah, he looks disgusting, but he is a customer. Maybe we can sell him a bulk order of Lemsip or even a few litres of chicken soup.  :D
Algerie Francais !

Wiggles

Quote from: Borchester post_id=19986 time=1585754266 user_id=62
No it ain't.

The number one priority is to maintain a certain level of self respect and running around like blue bummed flies because of a few coughs and colds is not the way to do it. That is ok for the women and the kids, but right now the UK needs a crash program to grow much of its menfolk some balls.

I am going out. I have spent the morning decorating and the paint has gotten up my nose so I will be coughing and sneezing fit to beat the band, which means that the security at Waitrose will push me to the front of the queue to get rid of me that much faster. Who said Covid 19 wasn't fun?

:D

Or possibly the security at Waitrose won't let you in at all  :D

The priority should be what is best for the population, and I don't just mean short term. If it means we maintain a healthy economy, which in turn means we can invest in the NHS long term, then surely a few more lost lives over the next few months has to be the price we pay. At times like this we have to think logically, and the government shouldn't be giving into those who think short term, and only from their hearts.

Borchester

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=19963 time=1585736968 user_id=103
Saving lives and saving suffering are the number one priority.

No it ain't.

The number one priority is to maintain a certain level of self respect and running around like blue bummed flies because of a few coughs and colds is not the way to do it. That is ok for the women and the kids, but right now the UK needs a crash program to grow much of its menfolk some balls.

I am going out. I have spent the morning decorating and the paint has gotten up my nose so I will be coughing and sneezing fit to beat the band, which means that the security at Waitrose will push me to the front of the queue to get rid of me that much faster. Who said Covid 19 wasn't fun?

:D
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=19980 time=1585743270 user_id=87
I think it was wrong that there were attacks on you and your boss, and also believe it is wrong to do inaccurate tests on innocent animals when there are prisons full of criminals.

Today, I would agree.

Most gene based medication will not be tested properly in an animal model.

When I was actively experimenting it was much, much closer to the human cell.model.

The Home Office asked me for my views on the 1876 act as a licencee. I did tell them I would prefer a supply of convicted murderers and rapists to.work on as there was a problem with high variation between the rats. Which is why we went to isolated separated cells in suspension...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Wiggles

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=19972 time=1585738624 user_id=103
I don't know where you get your misinformation from but shutting down obviously saves lives. Reducing contact between people reduces opportunites for the virus to spread.

Some countries that have introduced lockdown are seeing reductions in new cases now.  In China the outbreak is almost, but not quite, defeated.

Here in UK we can't expect the number of new cases to start falling yet, as there's a time lag between infection and developing symptoms that require hospitalisation. But it would be reasonable to assume that the actual number of new infections (something we have no statistic for) is already on the way down.

But you don't know it saves lives, as there is absolutely no evidence of this, with Japan and Sweden proving otherwise. If you believe China have got on top of it, your kidding yourself. Even if isolation does work (and I'm sceptical) at what point do we stop. As long as there is a single case out there it will start up again, so until we have a vaccine we need to self isolate. Of course, by this stage there will be no economy left. I accept that a three week isolation period isn't a bad idea in order we can gain information, but any longer is just pressing the self destruct button.

Wiggles

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=19976 time=1585741451 user_id=63
I was almost firebombed (they planted one, plod disabled ot before it could kill me)  by animal rights extremists pissed off that I killed animals to understand the chemical basis of how sh*t like COVID works.

My boss was NAILBOMBED for it and his old boss was firebombed. His jeep was fitted with an incendiary under his fuel tank. It went off. He escaped, his jeep was a write off. It was in the aftermath of that firebimbing that the bomb squad found the similar device on my car...

I pointed out to the local rag in my freelancing days that one of those suspected of running the organisation that firebombed us had no problem benefitting from our research when his gran needed it. Sadly the rag in question wasnt interested in shaming violent criminals for not adhering to their principles and letting their family die from those beliefs ....

I think it was wrong that there were attacks on you and your boss, and also believe it is wrong to do inaccurate tests on innocent animals when there are prisons full of criminals.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=19977 time=1585742274 user_id=63
 The former is regrettable, the latter requires the politicians who caused the shortage be publicly hung.

I find its strange that this far into the crisis the government can't get PPE equipment delivered where it is needed but I can get a spare part for my motorised satellite dish system ordered last Sunday and delivered last monday at mid-day.

My large microwave/fan oven/grill decided to self destruct, when swithched off, ( I was able to intervene in time before it caught fire.

Despite a replacement of the same specification and large size being rare. I was able to source one and it is arriving tomorrow or Friday.

Britain has some of the best logistics on the planet why are the government still using horses and carts?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

I don't know where you get your misinformation from but shutting down obviously saves lives. Reducing contact between people reduces opportunites for the virus to spread.

Some countries that have introduced lockdown are seeing reductions in new cases now.  In China the outbreak is almost, but not quite, defeated.

Here in UK we can't expect the number of new cases to start falling yet, as there's a time lag between infection and developing symptoms that require hospitalisation. But it would be reasonable to assume that the actual number of new infections (something we have no statistic for) is already on the way down.

Putting on the sort of hat that I wore when developing the means to ensure our battlefield tactical nukes were invisible to.russian radar .....

The real point here is how many people can Sweden and Japan treat for the serious symptoms at one go.

Without that, and without a concrete declaration of the policy those countries have on letting people die, using their model as a model.here is a no-no.

As I have myself said and I think you will agree with, the issue is not that people will die of this, but that people might die because equipment to save them is not available. The former is regrettable, the latter requires the politicians who caused the shortage be publicly hung.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Javert post_id=19966 time=1585737687 user_id=64
I've seen quite a few right wing types saying that we should just let everyone decide for themselves and let all the people die.

What's notable though, is that I haven't seen any of them volunteer to carry around a certificate "Do not Ventilate" on their person.

I suspect their opinion will change pretty quickly when they personally or their family member requires life saving treatment.

I was almost firebombed (they planted one, plod disabled ot before it could kill me)  by animal rights extremists pissed off that I killed animals to understand the chemical basis of how shit like COVID works.

My boss was NAILBOMBED for it and his old boss was firebombed. His jeep was fitted with an incendiary under his fuel tank. It went off. He escaped, his jeep was a write off. It was in the aftermath of that firebimbing that the bomb squad found the similar device on my car...

I pointed out to the local rag in my freelancing days that one of those suspected of running the organisation that firebombed us had no problem benefitting from our research when his gran needed it. Sadly the rag in question wasnt interested in shaming violent criminals for not adhering to their principles and letting their family die from those beliefs ....

papasmurf

I don't know where you get your misinformation from

Inside his sick head.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Hyperduck Quack Quack

QuoteBut how many lives. One life, two lives, a million lives? There is also no evidence of any kind that indicates shutdowns will save lives anyway, and the Japanese/Swedish examples prove this. If your really that concerned about lives, don't forget the financial damage this will do to the economy will prevent the government spending money on the NHS for years to come, which in turn will cost many lives going forward.

Hyperduck Quack Quack