Social distancing and avoiding infection

Started by Barry, March 24, 2020, 06:24:15 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Javert post_id=19966 time=1585737687 user_id=64
I've seen quite a few right wing types saying that we should just let everyone decide for themselves and let all the people die.

Personally I don't mind letting people of that opinion die. The country would be better for it.

They should have NTBR tatooed on the forehead. (Not To Be Resuscitated.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=19965 time=1585737398 user_id=87
But how many lives. One life, two lives, a million lives? There is also no evidence of any kind that indicates shutdowns will save lives anyway, and the Japanese/Swedish examples prove this. If your really that concerned about lives, don't forget the financial damage this will do to the economy will prevent the government spending money on the NHS for years to come, which in turn will cost many lives going forward.

Javert

I've seen quite a few right wing types saying that we should just let everyone decide for themselves and let all the people die.

What's notable though, is that I haven't seen any of them volunteer to carry around a certificate "Do not Ventilate" on their person.

I suspect their opinion will change pretty quickly when they personally or their family member requires life saving treatment.

Wiggles

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=19963 time=1585736968 user_id=103
Saving lives and saving suffering are the number one priority.

If, for example, that means airlines going bust and airline staff losing their jobs, so be it.

At the end of all this, the planes will still exist and the ex-employees will still have their skills, so new airlines could be formed.

And if there's a sustained reduction in demand for flying after the pandemic, at least we won't need to worry about a shortage of aluminium for a year or two.

But how many lives. One life, two lives, a million lives? There is also no evidence of any kind that indicates shutdowns will save lives anyway, and the Japanese/Swedish examples prove this. If your really that concerned about lives, don't forget the financial damage this will do to the economy will prevent the government spending money on the NHS for years to come, which in turn will cost many lives going forward.
A hand up, not a hand out

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Saving lives and saving suffering are the number one priority.

If, for example, that means airlines going bust and airline staff losing their jobs, so be it.

At the end of all this, the planes will still exist and the ex-employees will still have their skills, so new airlines could be formed.

And if there's a sustained reduction in demand for flying after the pandemic, at least we won't need to worry about a shortage of aluminium for a year or two.

Scott777

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=19958 time=1585735647 user_id=87
The more time I am spending studying this subject, the more I am convinced the government are doing the wrong thing.

1) There is absolutely no evidence that imprisoning the community is slowing the infection rate. Japan and Sweden have a better death toll than us, and haven't had a lock down.

2) Even if we lose a few more lives through not locking down (which is arguable anyway) surely it's worth it to save the economy.

3) The lock down that in turn is costing the country a fortune only means there will be nothing left to spend on the NHS for years to come. This in turn means lives will be lost going forward.

4) Without doubt there will be far more lives lost this year through smoking related disease, however the government are prepared to lock us in our houses to save lives, but won't ban smoking. As it happens I wouldn't ban smoking, but wouldn't have a lock down either.

5) We have absolutely no idea how many infections there are, or how many there have been. As a result we can not judge how well any lock down works.

6) We don't have any figures telling us how many people have died of Covid-19, only how many people have died WITH Covid-19. I hope you appreciate the two things are very different

7) Yes, young people without any underlying conditions have died of it. More young people will die driving cars, and quite possibly contracting the flu.

My suggestion. Give everyone as much information as possible, and then let them make up their own mind. Ultimately, if I go out and behave as normal, and you stay isolated, my actions can't harm you. Remember, the vast amount of people only get mild to no conditions. I will of course continue to do as the government request, but it doesn't mean I agree with their actions !

I partly agree - it is very questionable that there won't be more damage from a long lockdown, but I'm sure we can survive for another week or so.  We need more data, and it's coming.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Wiggles

The more time I am spending studying this subject, the more I am convinced the government are doing the wrong thing.

1) There is absolutely no evidence that imprisoning the community is slowing the infection rate. Japan and Sweden have a better death toll than us, and haven't had a lock down.

2) Even if we lose a few more lives through not locking down (which is arguable anyway) surely it's worth it to save the economy.

3) The lock down that in turn is costing the country a fortune only means there will be nothing left to spend on the NHS for years to come. This in turn means lives will be lost going forward.

4) Without doubt there will be far more lives lost this year through smoking related disease, however the government are prepared to lock us in our houses to save lives, but won't ban smoking. As it happens I wouldn't ban smoking, but wouldn't have a lock down either.

5) We have absolutely no idea how many infections there are, or how many there have been. As a result we can not judge how well any lock down works.

6) We don't have any figures telling us how many people have died of Covid-19, only how many people have died WITH Covid-19. I hope you appreciate the two things are very different

7) Yes, young people without any underlying conditions have died of it. More young people will die driving cars, and quite possibly contracting the flu.

My suggestion. Give everyone as much information as possible, and then let them make up their own mind. Ultimately, if I go out and behave as normal, and you stay isolated, my actions can't harm you. Remember, the vast amount of people only get mild to no conditions. I will of course continue to do as the government request, but it doesn't mean I agree with their actions !
A hand up, not a hand out

Barry

These words have taken on a new meaning, we have all had to learn:

Social distancing: staying apart by 2 metres in the street, supermarkets, at work etc.

Self Isolation: When a person believes they have the symptoms so stay in for 7 days if living alone, or 14 days if living with others.

Shielding: Where a vulnerable person, either with recognised high risk health problems or over the age of 70 stay indoors to protect themselves from infection.

Covidiots: Speaks for itself.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

This morning we combined our exercise and shopping trip to Lidl. (It's a mile round trip, quite hilly). We got our stuff and kept our distance at the tills. The lady in front of us, appeared about 40ish was paying using a credit card, which was a good plan to avoid passing over contaminated money. She was having a little rant about people not taking the lock-down seriously and all the measures to avoid the virus.

She then keyed in her PIN with an ungloved hand and immediately put her hand to her mouth.

She wasn't blonde, either.  ;)
† The end is nigh †