Is this the end of globalism?

Started by cromwell, March 24, 2020, 06:46:00 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19416 time=1585080865 user_id=89
Quite, I just wonder when the panic buyers will run out of storage space.

All very well smurfy but why is your long held stash of food any different and you superior to them ?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19416 time=1585080865 user_id=89

:hattip  :hattip
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=19414 time=1585079461 user_id=62
Well that is true Ollie, but I believe that we have ample loo paper makers in the UK,

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19413 time=1585079400 user_id=54
It seems a bit short sighted to be so dependant world wide, but then many have said this pretty often before. Who do our utilities, manufacturing on all levels to name but a few depend upon? Over the years we have willingly put ourselves in hock to the entire world. It was bound to bite back at some point.

In the current situation UK companies are working frantically to create equipment that is simply not available any longer. Today some chap was on TV who was creating an enterprise to make 1,000,000 bottles of hand sanitiser, he was taking days over it. Planning, licences etc were produced in days rather than the usual months. He is doing the same in Germany. Globalism has blinded us to our own abilities, if we slide back into the same blindness we will have only ourselves to blame.

Well where does this originate,the blessed Margaret, mind you quite happily continued by our very own war crim  Bliar.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=19412 time=1585077591 user_id=48
Well Borchy why are we so short of the basics? There is a shortage of paracetamol,why ? Because it's made in India.

I think you misunderstood I don't expect trade to disappear but should we be leaving ourselves so open to occasions like this?

Well that is true Ollie, but I believe that we have ample loo paper makers in the UK, but we have still managed to end up putting the daily papers to their proper use.

It is not so much a matter of making the stuff as storing it and most supermarkets store several days worth of goods on their shelves with the shelf packers topping up on the day's sales. Panic buying means the shelves take that much longer to fill, but globalisation means an almost limitless supply of East European shelf packers.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

It seems a bit short sighted to be so dependant world wide, but then many have said this pretty often before. Who do our utilities, manufacturing on all levels to name but a few depend upon? Over the years we have willingly put ourselves in hock to the entire world. It was bound to bite back at some point.

In the current situation UK companies are working frantically to create equipment that is simply not available any longer. Today some chap was on TV who was creating an enterprise to make 1,000,000 bottles of hand sanitiser, he was taking days over it. Planning, licences etc were produced in days rather than the usual months. He is doing the same in Germany. Globalism has blinded us to our own abilities, if we slide back into the same blindness we will have only ourselves to blame.

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester post_id=19409 time=1585076309 user_id=62
I can't see it. In the 14th century most Europeans did not know where China was and quite a few had never heard of the place. But that did not stop the  Black Death travelling from there to here and wiping out half the population of the UK. Trade barriers won't halt the Sino Snots, particularly when the Chines stuff is so cheap

Well Borchy why are we so short of the basics? There is a shortage of paracetamol,why ? Because it's made in India.

I think you misunderstood I don't expect trade to disappear but should we be leaving ourselves so open to occasions like this?

johnofgwent

Well, I was more than a little pissed off to find the coffee filter machine I just bought from Argos to give me the fuel to.keep coding whole working at home was sourced from China. Had this been more clearly stated on the argos website I certainly would have looked elsewhere
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=19408 time=1585075560 user_id=48
So it is being mooted,would it be a bad thing? probably not but memories are all too short.

I can't see it. In the 14th century most Europeans did not know where China was and quite a few had never heard of the place. But that did not stop the  Black Death travelling from there to here and wiping out half the population of the UK. Trade barriers won't halt the Sino Snots, particularly when the Chines stuff is so cheap
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

So it is being mooted,would it be a bad thing? probably not but memories are all too short.