Up to 50% of the UK population may have had Coronavirus - Oxford Uni

Started by Scott777, March 25, 2020, 01:41:45 PM

« previous - next »

Scott777

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=19525 time=1585174318 user_id=63
Answers no, and yes, in that order. But to see what he has written is another matter

:thup:

It makes it very hard to know what people are actually dying of.  Perfect for the MSM.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=19520 time=1585165789 user_id=59
Do certificates ever give more info?  And are there any other records that a coroner makes?

Answers no, and yes, in that order. But to see what he has written is another matter
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Coroners are not usually involved in deaths from natural causes, where the attending doctor can give a cause of death. So, no.
† The end is nigh †

Scott777

Quote from: Barry post_id=19515 time=1585161203 user_id=51
A typical death certificate is likely to say:

1a Pneumonia

1b Viral infection

2a Asthma

Or similar, according to what "underlying illness" the patient had.

Do certificates ever give more info?  And are there any other records that a coroner makes?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

A typical death certificate is likely to say:

1a Pneumonia

1b Viral infection

2a Asthma

Or similar, according to what "underlying illness" the patient had.

I would be very surprised to see "Covid-19" on the death certificate, although it is a now recognised disease under the W.H.O. it is not the primary cause of death.

Pneumonia is, due to the cells breaking down in the lungs and filling the airways with thick fluid which cannot be coughed up or sucked out.
† The end is nigh †

Scott777

Quote from: "Bright Young Thing" post_id=19482 time=1585144171 user_id=49
I, along with countless others, was ill for most of December, and right through until almost the end of January. Sniffles, sore throat, cough, tiredness, with aches and pains. At one point I was prescribed an antibiotic for slight issues in my chest. Now GP's do not prescribe antibiotics unless there is a very good reason for doing so.

I now wonder (along with countless others) if that was the virus. At the time I dealt with it, slowly, and it did inconvenience me, but it didn't have the fear and worry that I have now around this Covid 19.

I guess time will tell, but I am starting to wonder if I've already had it, and recovered.

Indeed, and I and a friend had similar symptoms, but lasting longer than things normally last.

Bright Young Thing

I, along with countless others, was ill for most of December, and right through until almost the end of January. Sniffles, sore throat, cough, tiredness, with aches and pains. At one point I was prescribed an antibiotic for slight issues in my chest. Now GP's do not prescribe antibiotics unless there is a very good reason for doing so.

I now wonder (along with countless others) if that was the virus. At the time I dealt with it, slowly, and it did inconvenience me, but it didn't have the fear and worry that I have now around this Covid 19.

I guess time will tell, but I am starting to wonder if I've already had it, and recovered.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=19480 time=1585143705 user_id=59

I for one fully accept this estimate.

After the local experience over the Christmas period it would not surprise me at all.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Scott777

"Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology at Oxford, led a study into the infection rate of Covid-19 across the country.

The new model from Oxford University suggests the virus was circulating in the UK by mid-January, around two weeks before the first reported case and a month before the first reported death.

And the research suggested that less than one thousand of those with Covid-19 became ill enough to need treatment in hospital, with the vast majority developing mild symptoms or none at all.

Oxford's research represents a very different view to the modelling at Imperial College London, which influenced government policy to tackle the spread of the virus in the UK.

"I am surprised that there has been such unqualified acceptance of the Imperial model,"  Professor Gupta told the same newspaper."

I for one fully accept this estimate.  If true, it means the fatality rate is, so far, very low indeed.  More than that, but the current deaths (422) may not have died from Covid-19.  How many exactly have had 'cause of death' recorded as anything to do with Covid-19?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-half-uk-population-oxford-university-study-finds-a4396721.html">https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/ ... 96721.html">https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-half-uk-population-oxford-university-study-finds-a4396721.html

Study: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxmu2rwsnhi9j9c/Draft-COVID-19-Model%20%2813%29.pdf?dl=0&utm_source=Registered+Readers&utm_campaign=94ca715864-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_26_COPY_48&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_146710a7a1-94ca715864-">https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxmu2rwsnhi9j ... 4ca715864-">https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxmu2rwsnhi9j9c/Draft-COVID-19-Model%20%2813%29.pdf?dl=0&utm_source=Registered+Readers&utm_campaign=94ca715864-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_26_COPY_48&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_146710a7a1-94ca715864-