Sainsbury's to stop selling fireworks

Started by Borchester, October 18, 2019, 01:16:53 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

The sale of fireworks to the general public should have been banned long ago.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Nobody round here has the disposable income to shop in Sainsbury's

Aldi up the road are still selling them and doing a roaring trade too so who cares what the shop for posh tw@ts does...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Wiggles

To be honest, I don't care how many kids blow their hands off, and I don't care how many adults blow their heads off. If people are stupid enough to buy fireworks it's their own fault. My concerns are with the good people in this country who don't want be bothered by loud explosions, and more importantly the pets and wildlife that suffer because of our selfishness. It's a strange country. Forget to unlock the fire door at work and the health safety man will close your business down, but if your over sixteen you can ride a motorised two wheeled vehicle, and buy explosives. MAD MAD MAD  :cry:
A hand up, not a hand out

Churchill

Quote from: Borchester post_id=1222 time=1571422726 user_id=62
I suspect you are right. Time was when the major problem with fireworks was snotty nosed kids dribbling all over them and making them hard to light, but these days everyone is terrified of everything.

That said there are still plenty being set off at Dwali, Eid, when the Turkish football is on the TV and other events worthy of note.

:lol:  :lol:  Yes I remember those days I was one of them bangers one old penny each, spent all my paper round money on them
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Baron von Lotsov

Eventually they will outlaw private business altogether. Now they will just steal £5 grand off you and chuck you in the slammer.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

patman post

Why should retailers add to their overheads for a highly seasonal product?

"Fireworks must be kept in closed transport packaging, and suitable display and storage cabinets."

From a business insurance site:

If you own a shop premises that sells or supplies fireworks there are requirements and regulations that you will need to be aware of.

You will need to know the correct legislation details which governs the sale and storage of fireworks.  We have found on our local Manchester City Council website a business advice sheet around the retail sale of Fireworks.

You will also need to take responsibility for health and safety at work and adhere to the fire safety laws.  Again this information is included within the link above.

Risk Assessments must be carried out on your premises, what would you do if a fire started on your premises and do you have the correct fire safety equipment to hand.  The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has produced a checklist to help you carry out a risk assessment and this can be downloaded from their website

If you have more than 5 employees, you must record the risks identified in this assessment and the precautions you have taken to deal with them.  Make all staff aware and implement appropriate training issues as required.

As a retail shop you would have to register to obtain a licence from your local council to give you the permissions to be allowed to store fireworks that are available to be bought.  If you are not registered or licensed and found to be selling fireworks you can be fined up to £5,000 or given a prison sentence of up to 6 months or even both in some cases.

https://insuranceoctopus.co.uk/business-insurance-blog/sell-fireworks-shop/">https://insuranceoctopus.co.uk/business ... orks-shop/">https://insuranceoctopus.co.uk/business-insurance-blog/sell-fireworks-shop/
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Churchill post_id=1220 time=1571422246 user_id=69
Sainsburys have stopped selling allegedly for Pet issues, but the main reason is if they stock them they are housed in locked glass display cabinets which means a member of staff has to stop what they are doing to open the display take out the fireworks once having established to age of the buyer then take them to the till.

Lost of time and effort .

They seem be set off all year round in my Borough party's, Eid Festival etc fed up with them

Thanks, that is a completely logical explanation. Officials/spokespersons never tell you the truth.

Borchester

Quote from: Churchill post_id=1220 time=1571422246 user_id=69
Sainsburys have stopped selling allegedly for Pet issues, but the main reason is if they stock them they are housed in locked glass display cabinets which means a member of staff has to stop what they are doing to open the display take out the fireworks once having established to age of the buyer then take them to the till.

They seem be set off all year round in my Borough party's, Eid Festival etc fed up with them

I suspect you are right. Time was when the major problem with fireworks was snotty nosed kids dribbling all over them and making them hard to light, but these days everyone is terrified of everything.

That said there are still plenty being set off at Dwali, Eid, when the Turkish football is on the TV and other events worthy of note.
Algerie Francais !

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Barry

We have a local shop which only opens for 2 months of the year. I think they well the mortar type rockets which would be good to let off at 23:00 on 31st of this month.

I want this to be heard just over the sound of the fat lady singing.

Pondering whether to get one great big one, or 27 smaller ones. :)
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1184 time=1571401683 user_id=54
The fireworks have started here already. I heard the first lot last night. I just wish they would limit them to a couple of days before the 5th. Although perhaps they are warming up for Westminster tomorrow.

Fireworks have started here too. Past experience indicates they'll probably continue through into the New Year with bursts around Christmas and New Year.

That's annoying enough, but some nights they're still banging at 3am!!!

Hackney supposedly enforces Fireworks Regulations 2004, which prohibits the use of fireworks between the hours of 11pm-7am with these exceptions:

*until midnight on 5 November (Bonfire Night)

*until 1am following the first day of Chinese New Year

*until 1am on the day following Diwali day

*until 1am on the day following 31 December (New Year's Eve)

Try complaining to the Out of Hours Service and all you get is voice mail.

Personally, I'd ban sales of all fireworks to private individuals and — in residential and built-up areas — only allow organised displays...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baron von Lotsov

Sainsbury's is a food supermarket anyway.

Why is this anyway? Are these new super-bright kids so smart that there is an unacceptable risk they might blow themselves up?

Or is it because they are not green enough.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=1180 time=1571401013 user_id=62
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50094658">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50094658

Miserable sods.

I am ok for bangers. I just chuck a few empty camping gas canisters onto the bonfire, but I will miss the rockets.

The fireworks have started here already. I heard the first lot last night. I just wish they would limit them to a couple of days before the 5th. Although perhaps they are warming up for Westminster tomorrow.

Borchester

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50094658">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50094658

Miserable sods.

I am ok for bangers. I just chuck a few empty camping gas canisters onto the bonfire, but I will miss the rockets.
Algerie Francais !