Close to disaster last night

Started by papasmurf, March 27, 2020, 08:58:02 AM

« previous - next »

GregB

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19638 time=1585312913 user_id=89
It was switched on at the plug. I have earth leak circuit breakers about 15 of them in a box where the electricity enters the house.

That does not prevent fires in domestic appliances, despite the perception.

It doesn't protect against all causes of fire but of course an RCBO which appears to be of what you have would prevent a fire due to an electrical earth issue.

papasmurf

When i get the new combination oven when it is not in use it will be unplugged and the door left open.

Apparently self-destruction and fires are more common than I thought. There are five different technical  causes.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19603 time=1585299482 user_id=89
We had a near disaster last night, went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea, and there were some strange noises  like my neighbour was engaged in Destroy-It-Yourself.

It wasn't.  It turned out to be our combination microwave/grill/fan oven was in the process of self destruction and was just about to catch fire.

I managed to pull the plug out.  Had I  not gone into the kitchen when I did and we had gone bed it would have been a fire brigade job.

After much internet searching I have found a replacement. (Hopefully.)

Covid-19 probably did it, guv.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

papasmurf

Quote from: GregB post_id=19633 time=1585312233 user_id=72
If it wasn't in use sounds like an electrical breakdown. Do you have earth leakage protection installed in your consumer unit ?

It was switched on at the plug. I have earth leak circuit breakers about 15 of them in a box where the electricity enters the house.

That does not prevent fires in domestic appliances, despite the perception.

GregB

We had a near disaster last night, went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea, and there were some strange noises  like my neighbour was engaged in Destroy-It-Yourself.

It wasn't.  It turned out to be our combination microwave/grill/fan oven was in the process of self destruction and was just about to catch fire.

I managed to pull the plug out.  Had I  not gone into the kitchen when I did and we had gone bed it would have been a fire brigade job.

If it wasn't in use sounds like an electrical breakdown. Do you have earth leakage protection installed in your consumer unit ?

It's pretty standard to have this now protecting all circuits except lighting circuits but I guess many older houses still don't have this. Worth checking and adding if you don't have it .

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas post_id=19612 time=1585302290 user_id=58
that  was lucky pappy.

It was I had forgotten how old the combination oven was. (It had lasted much longer than the previous two, over the last 36 years.)

Where I used to buy electrical appliances went tits up some time ago.

Sourcing a similar specification has proven difficult, I think I found the last one left in Britain. (Still waiting for confirmation dispatch email.)

Thomas

that  was lucky pappy.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf