How are you preparing for the post Covid 19 world?

Started by Borchester, March 27, 2020, 12:31:53 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19698 time=1585382674 user_id=89
There is already automatic grave diggers for that.

You mean Romanians ? The trouble is that a lot of them went home. Still, I want to do my bit. As an ex civil servant I will volunteer to count the corpses.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=19696 time=1585379358 user_id=63
I plan to volunteer to dig the mass graves

There is already automatic grave diggers for that. (If they can be got running after all these years they were designed for the aftermath of a nuclear attack.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Wiggles

Quote from: Barry post_id=19685 time=1585346479 user_id=51
I think we can wave goodbye to the 20p tax rate. VAT on luxuries will have to go up.

The ban on football can stay, we can pay them the same as nurses or shop workers, who have been found to be the essential people in society.

As for pop stars and Twitter experts they can all go swivel

I think your getting opinions mixed up with reality
A hand up, not a hand out

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell post_id=19686 time=1585346610 user_id=48an auger?

Maybe. I just remember it had a wooden handle.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19643 time=1585315480 user_id=54
I remember Dad using a tool like a cork screw to 'drill' through wood. I wouldn't be surprised if I still have it lurking somewhere. I also remember him making a lamp standard when I was very small with a red hot poker held in the fire and he burned his way through. He must have had something longer to complete the job but that I don't remember. Slow but very successful, the lamp was in use for decades. I have an old bit and brace too. You never know perhaps I have found my treasure trove!   :D :dncg:

an auger?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

I think we can wave goodbye to the 20p tax rate. VAT on luxuries will have to go up.

The ban on football can stay, we can pay them the same as nurses or shop workers, who have been found to be the essential people in society.

As for pop stars and Twitter experts they can all go swivel
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=19661 time=1585326283 user_id=87
I'm just going sit outside the pub and wait for it to open

:hattip

Indeed Wiggles , the pubs will need rescuing ,every man must do his duty .

Wiggles

I'm just going sit outside the pub and wait for it to open
A hand up, not a hand out

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=19642 time=1585313829 user_id=62
I have been thinking on similar lines. I have a couple of shower doors that I could use as lights and maybe use to grow melons in. Something else I could do with is some No 6 threaded rod, a supply of hacksaw blades, wing nuts and a solar charger for my cordless drill. I would really like to get an old fashioned bit and brace but the modern ones don't seem to grip the bit properly. Or maybe my hands don't work as well as they did. Anyway, I want to keep things as low tech as possible but drill wise, I am a bit stumped.

I remember Dad using a tool like a cork screw to 'drill' through wood. I wouldn't be surprised if I still have it lurking somewhere. I also remember him making a lamp standard when I was very small with a red hot poker held in the fire and he burned his way through. He must have had something longer to complete the job but that I don't remember. Slow but very successful, the lamp was in use for decades. I have an old bit and brace too. You never know perhaps I have found my treasure trove!   :D :dncg:

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19635 time=1585312638 user_id=89
In the process of using an old window frame wombled out of a skip some months ago and a lot of timber offcuts I had hanging about to make a cold frame.

I have been thinking on similar lines. I have a couple of shower doors that I could use as lights and maybe use to grow melons in. Something else I could do with is some No 6 threaded rod, a supply of hacksaw blades, wing nuts and a solar charger for my cordless drill. I would really like to get an old fashioned bit and brace but the modern ones don't seem to grip the bit properly. Or maybe my hands don't work as well as they did. Anyway, I want to keep things as low tech as possible but drill wise, I am a bit stumped.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=19634 time=1585312313 user_id=62

How about you guys?

In the process of using an old window frame wombled out of a skip some months ago and a lot of timber offcuts I had hanging about to make a cold frame.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

I am on the lookout for  wooden fruit boxes to store next year's seed potatoes. I am also going to let a few carrots, parsnips and other roots bolt for the seed. I am also looking for a couple of high carbon steel saws and a few more triangular files. These modern saws are ok but buggers to sharpen. And I think I will get a fruit press and a manual fruit crushers and make a few drops of cider.

How about you guys?
Algerie Francais !