Anyone had this bug yet?

Started by Barry, March 30, 2020, 03:33:09 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

I don't like to speak too soon, but I think I have recovered. It almost switched off, yesterday and I didn't cough once in the night. Uncanny really.

@JoG - Doxazosin was the 3rd BP medication which I had bad reactions to. Unfortunately, one thing I inherited from my mother was a propensity to develop those 1 in a hundred or 1 in a thousand unwanted effects. My BP is now under control (just) using dandelion and burdock tea as a natural diuretic.

By the way, I'm 65, but reasonably fit, last week I was moving around a 19kg extending ladder with a stand off bracket cleaning out our gutters, with Mrs B at the bottom of the ladder ready to catch me!
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

@ Javert - what good news that you have all pulled through.

Javert

All - I should probably also stress that from what I've read and heard on radio science shows, it's perfectly possible to have Covid 19 and breeze through it with only one or two of the symptoms I described, or even with no noticeable symptoms at all.  

I don't think they know yet (and maybe will never know) why some perfectly healthy people get a very serious dose, and others just shrug it off.

In particular, it seems like it's extremely rare for it to attack children seriously  - the vast majority of children will only have one or two mild symptoms for a couple of days.  Yes there are one or two highly public cases where children were very seriously affected but the evidence is that it's extremely rare, and I wouldn't be surprised if they later find out that those children had a hitherto undetected contributing factor.

Javert

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=19942 time=1585690108 user_id=59
Glad you're all better.  Can I ask about the asthma - how serious is it normally?  My mum had it bad as a kid, but much less now.

She has had quite severe asthma in the past and has been hospitalised with Asthma attacks 3 or 4 times in the past, but up to having Covid 19 it's been fairly stable for about 2 years.

I can't remember the exact technical term, but her asthma is one that more presents in the upper respiritory tract and throat, rather than deep inside the lungs, so her asthma consultants has told her that it's not necessarily the type of asthma that is likely to increase mortality for Covid 19 by much - it's more if your asthma is deep in the lungs presenting that it's a bigger issue.  However, having a serious case of Covid 19 certainly destablised her asthma and required several days of regular nebuliser to get it under control (normally she does not need nebulisation).  I'm not sure if it's possible to fully separate what was the breathlessness caused by viral pneumonia and what was asthma related coughing / breathlessness.

I guess the positive point is that you can go into hospital with asthma and Covid 19 but come out and recover without the need for extreme interventions like ICU and ventilator - probably partly just based on pure luck or not yet known facctors.

Javert

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=19941 time=1585688887 user_id=63
See, even though you voted remain, I'm pleased you and yours pulled through. Many of your side would clearly feel quite cheated if it were me posting what you did and have said so and got away with it on various social media.

I'm very grateful for that detailed list.

As I have posted elsewhere I have a genetic quirk that means I am fully functional at tissue oxygen levels so low most subjected to.it would collapse in a coma and die. All I ever get is a dull headache.....

Reading that list, I am.now quite convinced it bit me about the 18th Dec, which is a bit of a bugger for the Gwent because that would mean I was spreading the bug all the way round A and E and Resus when I had to rush the wife in on the 13th when she nearly killed herself falling down the stairs.

My main reason for that belief is the strange way I felt plus the TOTAL lack of ability to taste a damn thing in pretty much anything i ate over the main christmas period and a few days before it, while feeling totally washed out.

If having a fever means you feel you are freezing to death while a temperature probe shoved in all sorts of places barely rises above 38 then I had one. If you think a probe up the arse (yes, really, same way I realised I had gone hypothermic diving) should show more than 38 to be feverish, then no, I didnt have a fever....

I've had a dry cough and wheezy chest for the best part of eight months so if this caused it to happen a bit more I'd never have noticed.

John I am pretty sure that 95%+ of remainers would not wish anyone to die from any illness no matter their political views, me included.  There are always some trolls and extremists around but they are not representative of the vast majority.  If this virus shows anything it's that nature doesn't give a toss about politics, and doesn't respond to lies, bullying, or any other political BS.  It also doesn't have a passport or respect border controls.

It's certainly possible that you had it before, but I would be careful about assuming you are immune based on that description - there are several other respiratory illnesses that can cause loss of taste/smell.  My fever was barely above the NHS recommendation of 37.9, but I happen to know that my personal "normal" temperature is about 36.3 or so - therefore even when I know my body is 1.5 above normal, the NHS would tell me I am perfectly fine.

Some of the people in Italy who have had this at home were given home kit for measuring blood oxygen level and told to go to hospital only if it went below a certain figure - I think 90% or so.  For me it definitely impacted on the amount of oxygen getting into my body but I don't have any kit to quantify that - just the feelings of lack of energy, breathlessness, and clear increased heart rate.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry post_id=19944 time=1585690296 user_id=51
Thanks for the good wishes, all.

^^

Therein lies some of the problem. I had a virus (cold) which left me with bronchitis in December. Then my doctor was experimenting with Doxazosin which didn't help get rid of the bronchitis. In fact it gave me bunged up airways. Fortunately, I came off that and my airways cleared in days. If I had been on that, AND had the virus, I reckon I would have been in more trouble.

However, as you say, if there are other respiratory problems about, it's difficult to know when one starts and another ends.

There seems quite a lot of anecdotal evidence of this virus being in the country before 2020, which I wouldn't doubt. How long had the Chinese been hiding it? Who knows? 🦠

Dozazosin  ?? I'm on that as one of the blood pressure control medications...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=19943 time=1585690279 user_id=59
I wonder if we've found patient zero!!!  :)

It really would not surprise me.

As i have said, publicly and on here, my employer is owned by a chinese playboy, run from an HQ in china, at the deepwater port on the coast two provinces away from wuhan but whose main road on which the HQ sits takes ALL the export traffic from Wuhan to the coast port.

And executives from that HQ are frequent fliers to our sites in the UK, Germany (near Nuremberg), Romania and multiple plants of clients in the schengen area. A group who arrived at our german site at the start of december spent most of the month travelling around the schengen area in the run up to christmas, including visiting us.

None have shown any sign of illness, but then again, neither have I, I've just FELT bloody rotten and attribted THAT to havving had PROPER flu not once, but TWICE

I played the Opening of Terry Nation''s 1970's "survivors" (not the piss poor millennium reboot) the other day. Prophetic really.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

I've had a dry cough and wheezy chest for the best part of eight months so if this caused it to happen a bit more I'd never have noticed.

Thanks for the good wishes, all.

^^

Therein lies some of the problem. I had a virus (cold) which left me with bronchitis in December. Then my doctor was experimenting with Doxazosin which didn't help get rid of the bronchitis. In fact it gave me bunged up airways. Fortunately, I came off that and my airways cleared in days. If I had been on that, AND had the virus, I reckon I would have been in more trouble.

However, as you say, if there are other respiratory problems about, it's difficult to know when one starts and another ends.

There seems quite a lot of anecdotal evidence of this virus being in the country before 2020, which I wouldn't doubt. How long had the Chinese been hiding it? Who knows? 🦠
† The end is nigh †

Scott777

Reading that list, I am.now quite convinced it bit me about the 18th Dec,

I wonder if we've found patient zero!!!  :)
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: Javert post_id=19935 time=1585676130 user_id=64
I have had it and so has everyone else in my house.

Glad you're all better.  Can I ask about the asthma - how serious is it normally?  My mum had it bad as a kid, but much less now.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

johnofgwent

My wife was hospitalised with it for 8 days but is now home.

If the experience was anything like mine, you would know if it was Covid 19 because it was unlike any other illness I've ever had, including that nasty flu that was flooring everybody back in December/January which I had as well.

From what I'm told, different people are getting it to different levels, but I had:

- Mild fever.

- Extremely dry cough more dry than any I've had before but not that regular - only was having about 4 or 5 episodes over an entire day,

- Dry throat (almost feeling like a dry powder is in there)

- Shortness of breath.

- Feeling of tightness in the chest.

- Pain in upper torso on left hand side probably lungs.

- Extreme fatigue.

- Getting very puffed out just from small movement like climbing one flight of stairs.

- 20% higher RHR and spiking to 125bpm with just small movement.

- Food taste and smells odd / tasteless.

- Mild headache from time to time.

- Loss of appetite.

- Unable to sleep at all even though I didn't really feel too "ill" to sleep.

- Kidney pain and feeling like had urine infection at the later part.

- At its worse, slight confusion and disorientation e.g. forgetting what I was saying in the middle of a sentence.

It lasted about 10 days for me but the real worst part was the 5th and 6th days.

My advice if you get this is to rest completely and drink masses of fluids - this virus attacks your kidneys after it spreads enough in your lungs if it gets the chance before your immune system gets it.

My wife got similar symptoms and suffers from asthma but you can add

- Shivers, chills, general aches and pains.

- Cough was much worse than mine - constant coughing at the worst part.

- Once in hospital

----- Viral markers in the blood.

----- Signs of pneumonia on CAT scan that don't respond to antibiotics i.e. viral pneumonia.

----  Dehydration and loss of kidney function / signs of pending kidney failure.

Luckily they managed to turn it around by nebulisation, IV fluids, IV antibiotics (questionable if they were even needed but precaution), etc.

(outwardly it looked quite like she was having an asthma attack but she said it felt different).

See, even though you voted remain, I'm pleased you and yours pulled through. Many of your side would clearly feel quite cheated if it were me posting what you did and have said so and got away with it on various social media.

I'm very grateful for that detailed list.

As I have posted elsewhere I have a genetic quirk that means I am fully functional at tissue oxygen levels so low most subjected to.it would collapse in a coma and die. All I ever get is a dull headache.....

Reading that list, I am.now quite convinced it bit me about the 18th Dec, which is a bit of a bugger for the Gwent because that would mean I was spreading the bug all the way round A and E and Resus when I had to rush the wife in on the 13th when she nearly killed herself falling down the stairs.

My main reason for that belief is the strange way I felt plus the TOTAL lack of ability to taste a damn thing in pretty much anything i ate over the main christmas period and a few days before it, while feeling totally washed out.

If having a fever means you feel you are freezing to death while a temperature probe shoved in all sorts of places barely rises above 38 then I had one. If you think a probe up the arse (yes, really, same way I realised I had gone hypothermic diving) should show more than 38 to be feverish, then no, I didnt have a fever....

cromwell

Quote from: Barry post_id=19939 time=1585684905 user_id=51
^^ Thanks for that informative post, Javert.  :hattip

It sounds like you had it moderately and your wife was serious.

My sore throat disappeared today, I'll report again after another night. It seems at its worse about 4am.

Hope you're ok Barry,take it easy ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

^^ Thanks for that informative post, Javert.  :hattip

It sounds like you had it moderately and your wife was serious.

My sore throat disappeared today, I'll report again after another night. It seems at its worse about 4am.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

If the experience was anything like mine, you would know if it was Covid 19 because it was unlike any other illness I've ever had, including that nasty flu that was flooring everybody back in December/January which I had as well.

From what I'm told, different people are getting it to different levels, but I had:

- Mild fever.

- Extremely dry cough more dry than any I've had before but not that regular - only was having about 4 or 5 episodes over an entire day,

- Shortness of breath.

- Extreme fatigue.

- Getting very puffed out just from small movement like climbing one flight of stairs.

- Loss of appetite.

- At its worse, slight confusion and disorientation e.g. forgetting what I was saying in the middle of a sentence.

It lasted about 10 days for me but the real worst part was the 5th and 6th days.

My advice if you get this is to rest completely and drink masses of fluids - this virus attacks your kidneys after it spreads enough in your lungs if it gets the chance before your immune system gets it.

- Once in hospital

----- Signs of pneumonia on CAT scan that don't respond to antibiotics i.e. viral pneumonia.

----  Dehydration and loss of kidney function / signs of pending kidney failure.

Luckily they managed to turn it around by nebulisation, IV fluids, IV antibiotics (questionable if they were even needed but precaution), etc.

(outwardly it looked quite like she was having an asthma attack but she said it felt different).

Well very pleased your wife pulled through ok,whatever our political differences I'm sure the whole membership feels the same way too  :hattip
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Javert

- Mild fever.

- Shortness of breath.

- Extreme fatigue.

- Loss of appetite.

- Once in hospital