Never mind the Covid 19

Started by Borchester, April 03, 2020, 12:26:04 PM

« previous - next »

Wiggles

Quote from: Borchester post_id=20153 time=1585924030 user_id=62
Ah, Ayletts at St Albans.

We go there, admire the plants and spend more on coffee, cakes and the dinner than we ever do on flowers and vegetables. And the staff have been there since Adam lost his job at the Garden of Eden.

Everybody knows how best to run everyone else' business better than they do, but I like to go somewhere the staff are treated in a civilized fashion rather than, well, has anyone been in B&Q recently?

Yes, the staff in B&Q all appear to be quite mature, and are very helpful.
A hand up, not a hand out

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=20199 time=1585982971 user_id=89
But did God put a shed in the garden?

No, that was Adam's job but he muffed it, which was the real reason God gave him the Spanish Archer. Not a bad bloke Adam, but apart from chasing the ladies and a little light scrumping, not inclined to put himself out either.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=20189 time=1585953034 user_id=62

And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Genesis 2:8

But did God put a shed in the garden?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=20162 time=1585929049 user_id=51
 What's Jesus got to do with it, Borchester.

Not much, but apparently His dad was the first gardener

And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Genesis 2:8
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Mod Notice

All very good and moved to the joke thread Thomas :lol:  :hattip
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=20162 time=1585929049 user_id=51
I looked at the thread title and wondered why it wasn't in the spiritual section. What's Jesus got to do with it, Borchester.  :thdwn:

Thou shalt not take the name ...  :rant:

:hattip  Totally inappropriate.

Barry

I looked at the thread title and wondered why it wasn't in the spiritual section. What's Jesus got to do with it, Borchester.  :thdwn:

Thou shalt not take the name ...  :rant:
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=20147 time=1585921765 user_id=70
And now back again...

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3ohjV6BRhGtND00UGk/200.webp?cid=ecf05e4781d9f3d9a022a72b7c11e289b97c85f1f9ec1e25&rid=200.webp">
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=20142 time=1585921301 user_id=87
A bit off topic, but interesting all the same. I am friends with a couple of chaps who have recently purchased about 50 garden centres from a well known chain. They have totally reversed the ethos of the company in question. The previous business cut staff, increased margins, and always sore the restaurant as an add on. My friends increased staffing levels, cut prices, and expanded the restaurants. The idea being that people will go there for something to eat, and possibly buy something from the shop whilst they are there. They even have alcohol licenses now. Each garden centre went from unprofitable to profitable over night.

Ah, Ayletts at St Albans.

We go there, admire the plants and spend more on coffee, cakes and the dinner than we ever do on flowers and vegetables. And the staff have been there since Adam lost his job at the Garden of Eden.

Everybody knows how best to run everyone else' business better than they do, but I like to go somewhere the staff are treated in a civilized fashion rather than, well, has anyone been in B&Q recently?
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=20142 time=1585921301 user_id=87
A bit off topic, but interesting all the same. I am friends with a couple of chaps who have recently purchased about 50 garden centres from a well known chain. They have totally reversed the ethos of the company in question. The previous business cut staff, increased margins, and always sore the restaurant as an add on. My friends increased staffing levels, cut prices, and expanded the restaurants. The idea being that people will go there for something to eat, and possibly buy something from the shop whilst they are there. They even have alcohol licenses now. Each garden centre went from unprofitable to profitable over night.

And now back again...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Wiggles

Quote from: Borchester post_id=20118 time=1585914752 user_id=62
I might try that, although I rather like the packets of odds and sods that tend to end up in the bargain bins. You never know what what you are getting but I like the idea of something cheerful in the vegetable beds.

I agree about the garden centres, although I suspect that a lot of them were on their last legs anyway. And the remainder appear to making most of their money in the restaurants, which are currently considered verboten.

A hand up, not a hand out

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=20119 time=1585915497 user_id=89
We have nearly completed the cold frame, one of my better bodges. My wife found on old tin of flat roof repair paint paint it with.

That covers up the various types or wood, ply and sterling board off cuts we made it out of with a nice battleship grey.

At the Rural Slum we currently have four shower doors that would make great lights for the cold frame I intend to build if I ever find a way of getting them (the shower doors) into the back of the motor. Still, something to think on. That is the great thing about gardening. There is always something to do and it can always be left until some time later  :D
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

We have nearly completed the cold frame, one of my better bodges. My wife found on old tin of flat roof repair paint paint it with.

That covers up the various types or wood, ply and sterling board off cuts we made it out of with a nice battleship grey.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=20113 time=1585913745 user_id=89
You can still order seed over the internet. (My wife is also buying seeds from an ironmongers today.) Why garden centres have had to shut is perverse in my opinion.

I might try that, although I rather like the packets of odds and sods that tend to end up in the bargain bins. You never know what what you are getting but I like the idea of something cheerful in the vegetable beds.

I agree about the garden centres, although I suspect that a lot of them were on their last legs anyway. And the remainder appear to making most of their money in the restaurants, which are currently considered verboten.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=20111 time=1585913164 user_id=62
 I will haul the top soil back on top again. It is a pity all the garden centres have closed because I like to throw in a packet or two of Bulbs Anonymous into the vegetable beds, but I dare say that will have to wait a bit.

You can still order seed over the internet. (My wife is also buying seeds from an ironmongers today.) Why garden centres have had to shut is perverse in my opinion.

Edited to add, my wife just got back no problem getting seeds.