My Suggestion To Solve Lockdown

Started by Scott777, April 03, 2020, 02:45:56 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=20427 time=1586088938 user_id=59
I find it hard to believe there would be contractual reasons preventing your business from closing, but not the same reasons in the current lockdown for many other businesses.  What does your business provide?

We are a Shopping Centre. If we chose to close it would force dozens of other businesses to close whether or not they wanted to continue trading. A voluntary system in which each business could chose if they wanted to keep trading or not would of been a disaster.
Don't believe everything you think.

Scott777

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=20424 time=1586087528 user_id=99
Health reasons.

Contractual reasons with businesses that rely on us - which are thankfully closed do to a total lockdown.

I find it hard to believe there would be contractual reasons preventing your business from closing, but not the same reasons in the current lockdown for many other businesses.  What does your business provide?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Nalaar

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=20418 time=1586085130 user_id=59
Why would your colleague not be able to work,

Health reasons.

Quoteand why would they try to stay open?

Contractual reasons with businesses that rely on us - which are thankfully closed do to a total lockdown.

Scott777

Quote from: T00ts post_id=20417 time=1586084047 user_id=54
Sweden - my instinct is that Sweden is not a world wide hub. Aren't our airports a hub for the world? Hasn't London been open without checks of any kind even as basic as temperature with people coming and going at will? Eurotunnel is the same. Can we honestly claim that what might work in Sweden - aren't they are only just starting - will work here. For a start their population is much lower. Who goes to Sweden?  If we go back to the beginning of all this didn't we look on in some horror at the lockdown in Wuhan? Did we or the experts really see what was happening and did we get the truth anyway?

Isn't it true that the West thought it was a Chinese problem? I think Sweden is in lala land as we were, and Italy, France and Spain and the penny will drop once they become overwhelmed. It seems to me that every country thinks they will not be affected like everyone else.

Perhaps, but it's his advice on the UK that's of interest.  I just thought I would quote an expert, because some posters are claiming that all the 'experts' are demanding a wide lockdown.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=20415 time=1586083649 user_id=89
They never publish links. That also only use "sources" that fit their agenda.

If it's an expert source, so what if it has an agenda?  Do you just ignore those sources that you perceive as false, and accept the others?  Based on what?   It seems like you have your own agenda, and only count sources that fit.

Scott777

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=20414 time=1586083199 user_id=99
Yes.

For example in my workplace there are 2 people that do my job. Myself and another. In the case of a partial lockdown we would both not be able to work.

Having a total lockdown is much safer (as my work is closed) than a partial lockdown which would likely see them try to stay open.

Why would your colleague not be able to work, and why would they try to stay open?

T00ts

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=20396 time=1586080107 user_id=59
THE SCIENTIST leading Sweden's strategy - claims the UK lockdown has gone too far.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1265130/coronavirus-sweden-uk-covid-19-herd-immunity-pandemic-anders-tegnell-lockdown">https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/12 ... l-lockdown">https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1265130/coronavirus-sweden-uk-covid-19-herd-immunity-pandemic-anders-tegnell-lockdown

Sweden - my instinct is that Sweden is not a world wide hub. Aren't our airports a hub for the world? Hasn't London been open without checks of any kind even as basic as temperature with people coming and going at will? Eurotunnel is the same. Can we honestly claim that what might work in Sweden - aren't they are only just starting - will work here. For a start their population is much lower. Who goes to Sweden?  If we go back to the beginning of all this didn't we look on in some horror at the lockdown in Wuhan? Did we or the experts really see what was happening and did we get the truth anyway?

Isn't it true that the West thought it was a Chinese problem? I think Sweden is in lala land as we were, and Italy, France and Spain and the penny will drop once they become overwhelmed. It seems to me that every country thinks they will not be affected like everyone else.

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=20401 time=1586080523 user_id=59
Yes.  With names of people you can look up, and find sources of info.

They never publish links. That also only use "sources" that fit their agenda.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=20411 time=1586082061 user_id=59
It's so funny.  So my suggestion of a smaller scale lockdown is not practical, but the current total lockdown is????  What planet are you living on at the moment?  Why is the idea less practical?

Yes.

For example in my workplace there are 2 people that do my job. Myself and another. In the case of a partial lockdown we would both not be able to work.

Having a total lockdown is much safer (as my work is closed) than a partial lockdown which would likely see them try to stay open.

Scott777

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=20407 time=1586081649 user_id=99
Eldery, asthmatic, diabetic, immuno-compromised...the list goes on - and your solution is either lockdown aswell, or find somewhere else to live?

Sounds practical.

It's so funny.  So my suggestion of a smaller scale lockdown is not practical, but the current total lockdown is????  What planet are you living on at the moment?  Why is the idea less practical?

Nalaar

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=20403 time=1586080800 user_id=59
Your strawman skills are impressive.

No.  If you live with a vulnerable person (which in the case of elderly people would mean you are probably also elderly), you have a choice - lock down or move out.  If you don't live with them, you would not visit them.  If you did, it wouldn't be a lockdown.

Eldery, asthmatic, diabetic, immuno-compromised...the list goes on - and your solution is either lockdown aswell, or find somewhere else to live?

Sounds practical.

Scott777

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=20400 time=1586080493 user_id=99
Okay - so your plan involves getting everyone who could come into contact with a vulnerable person to also lockdown?

Your strawman skills are impressive.

No.  If you live with a vulnerable person (which in the case of elderly people would mean you are probably also elderly), you have a choice - lock down or move out.  If you don't live with them, you would not visit them.  If you did, it wouldn't be a lockdown.

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=20397 time=1586080271 user_id=89
You use the Express as a reference?

Yes.  With names of people you can look up, and find sources of info.

Nalaar

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=20398 time=1586080281 user_id=59
Not at all.  You can voluntarily lockdown.

Okay - so your plan involves getting everyone who could come into contact with a vulnerable person to also lockdown?

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=20396 time=1586080107 user_id=59
THE SCIENTIST leading Sweden's strategy - claims the UK lockdown has gone too far.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1265130/coronavirus-sweden-uk-covid-19-herd-immunity-pandemic-anders-tegnell-lockdown">https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/12 ... l-lockdown">https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1265130/coronavirus-sweden-uk-covid-19-herd-immunity-pandemic-anders-tegnell-lockdown

You use the Express as a reference?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe