Main Menu

BT offer

Started by T00ts, April 04, 2020, 12:26:18 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=21457 time=1587044904 user_id=87
LOL. That was not Talk Talk asking for the info, it was a scam from the people who hacked their account, or is that what you meant ?

No, i meant what I said in every word

I sent an email to talk talk business support, and I received back a request for my username and password in full

I printed off and checked the smtp headers (you know what they are ??) very carefully and then i retrieved the "welcome to talk talk" email I had been sent when I first registered, the one that told me that my adsl router was on its way ...

and the smtp headers indicated at every stage the two emails came from the same IP address cluster and were routed down the same internal servers before being flung out into the wide world

And that meant either talk talk had no f*cking idea, or the hackers were VPN'ning into the talk talk network to wreak their havoc

Either way, it said to me it was time to have no more to do with them
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Wiggles

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=21453 time=1587044572 user_id=63
well, I was with talk talk, until they were hacked. I still have the email from them saying they cannot help me unless i send them back my username AND password ....

I sent back an email saying the direct debit was cancelled and not a single penny more was coming their way, then i changed my phone provider, my ISP. my mobile phone provider, and my mobile phone too (they knew its IMEI) and then i changed my bank account for good measure.

People who failed to do all of this who live a little way up the road were worked over big time and had a hell of a job getting the money back from their bank (lloyds)

I'd never give talk talk the time of day ever again

LOL. That was not Talk Talk asking for the info, it was a scam from the people who hacked their account, or is that what you meant ?
A hand up, not a hand out

papasmurf

Costing £7 a month isn't free. (Just had the BT email.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=20574 time=1586172955 user_id=87
I just can't understand why anyone uses BT, perhaps it's because they could never be bothered to change. I use TalkTalk, and whilst I hate the fact they have an Indian call centre, the product is OK. The same package as mine with BT is about 50% higher.

well, I was with talk talk, until they were hacked. I still have the email from them saying they cannot help me unless i send them back my username AND password ....

I sent back an email saying the direct debit was cancelled and not a single penny more was coming their way, then i changed my phone provider, my ISP. my mobile phone provider, and my mobile phone too (they knew its IMEI) and then i changed my bank account for good measure.

People who failed to do all of this who live a little way up the road were worked over big time and had a hell of a job getting the money back from their bank (lloyds)

I'd never give talk talk the time of day ever again
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

boggart

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=20574 time=1586172955 user_id=87
I just can't understand why anyone uses BT, perhaps it's because they could never be bothered to change. I use TalkTalk, and whilst I hate the fact they have an Indian call centre, the product is OK. The same package as mine with BT is about 50% higher.

I have a BT Business account, as you can actually talk to someone when you need to. They often give you wholly erroneous messages, but not had many issues in the 20 odd years I've had an account with them. I also just extended a 2 year contract, as finally got fibre b/band, which I need. I could probably save £200-300 over 2 years with another supplier, but the possible down time might well be more than that.

And being able to access their wifi hot spots around the country is probably woth say £50 a year to me for the convenience.

T00ts

Thanks everyone I guess I'll be on the research trail again.

patman post

Had been with Virgin Media and its predecessor company for years. Pricey but was fast and good. Then it started slowing and shuddering. Stood this for 18 months or so, then got fed up and moved to EE — good experience with its mobile phone service. Hadn't realised everything was installed by OpenReach and really operated by BT (horrendous reviews of BT and OpenReach had put me off considering them).

I should have investigated further — landline now can hardly be heard, and broadband cuts out late at night for no apparent reason. May well revert back to Virgin as a new customer at the end of this contract — its fibre is v. fast...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Javert

The only thing to be careful of here is if they are trying a fast one to renew your contract with BT and lock you into a 12 or 18 month period.  Legally they can't do that without at least your verbal permission.

However if it the offer contains a "click here or go here to accept this wonderful free upgrade" - that's where I would be careful because it will then be in the small print that you are renewing your contract with BT and you can't get out of it for a year or more.

Wiggles

A hand up, not a hand out

T00ts

Has anyone else had this? Does anyone have an opinion? I feel as if I am being hoodwinked.

Great news, we're writing to let you know that we're upgrading you to our new broadband service, BT Halo 1 by the 16 July 2020.

We're always looking for ways to make your experience with us even better, which means your upgrade to Halo is completely free of charge and you'll get access to benefits like]