Can Starmer get some rationality into Brexit...?

Started by patman post, April 08, 2020, 02:32:42 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 10:25:27 AM

Give you Cummings any day......up to you but if you think that's the way forward good luck with that.

Boris was a means to and end for me,I don't like Starmer but the conservatives aren't my natural home and neither is labour now.

Fact is I find myself politically homeless,what are the alternatives the extremists pretending to be the people's salvation? till they get power and then we'd see a reality of a greater nightmare.

well im sure there are more than two political parties to vote for in england , and if you dont give the others a try , then no new parties will ever break through your political system.

Its no good constantly moaning about labour tory tennis crowmell , you have to  go out and vote for someone new who fits your politics as we have done in scotland otherwise the snp would never have broken through.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on July 25, 2020, 08:56:31 AM
When Boris announced he was going to run a government of the people for the people, he was in trouble from that minute, the people who think they run the country don't like the people, never have, they are there to have power wielded over them not the other way around, as for Slimy Starmer I wouldn't trust him one iota, in fact give me Boris and Cummings any day.
Give you Cummings any day......up to you but if you think that's the way forward good luck with that.

Boris was a means to and end for me,I don't like Starmer but the conservatives aren't my natural home and neither is labour now.

Fact is I find myself politically homeless,what are the alternatives the extremists pretending to be the people's salvation? till they get power and then we'd see a reality of a greater nightmare.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on July 26, 2020, 10:13:45 AM
When Boris announced he was going to run a government of the people for the people, he was in trouble from that minute, the people who think they run the country don't like the people, never have, they are there to have power wielded over them not the other way around, as for Slimy Starmer I wouldn't trust him one iota, in fact give me Boris and Cummings any day.

Did you see blair on sky news this morning bumming starmers new labour up?

Starmer has been left relatively untouched so far due to the covid crises and both the scottish and english governments attention fully focused on it. However his holiday period wont last forever , and both the tories , snp and many other parties are quietly stacking the barrels of gunpowder underneath him in anticipation of the battles to come.
Well as you probably know I couldn't watch Blair on TV for not even one minute, my size ten would be through the screen and my better half would be demanding a new TV. It doesn't surprise me one bit though, because he is a Blair man and we all know it really, Starmer is being put up as the latest messiah, in a long list of them.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Did you see blair on sky news this morning bumming starmers new labour up?

Starmer has been left relatively untouched so far due to the covid crises and both the scottish and english governments attention fully focused on it. However his holiday period wont last forever , and both the tories , snp and many other parties are quietly stacking the barrels of gunpowder underneath him in anticipation of the battles to come.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Baff

I would strongly disagree that any trade deal needs compromise.

There is potential for compromise, but no need.

For example, if we both agree that sales of alcohol to and from Europe are about equal in size and do not conflict with eachother, The EU sells wine and Sambuca and the UK sells Whiskey...

Then we can happily agree to drop any tariffs or quota's on these imports and exports.

No compromise required.
Mutual benefit achieved.

The problems start when the polticians start horsetrading just for the sake of publicly appearing to have made a deal.

Nick

Quote from: Mashup on June 18, 2020, 10:25:56 PMWhat does that have to do with what I posted?

Are you disagreeing with my assertion that trade deals require comprimise and that the ERG oppose any form of comprimise with the EU?

Trade deals don't necessarily need compromise. If Ive got something you need you pay my price, no compromise.

But my point was that remainers think a trade deal with the EU is life and death when it's not. It's a 'would be nice' but by no means a must. And I'm talking about the majority of UK businesses, obviously for a few it's make or break. So the UK can choose to compromise if they wish, especially if it nets us a good reciprocal deal but with things like fishing the EU will have to pretty much bend over and touch their toes.  Why do you think Macron was in town less than a week since Boris announced there will be no more extension, he knows his neck will be on the block if the French fishermen lose their entitlement to our waters.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on April 09, 2020, 10:09:16 AM
If Sturgeon was in the same situation perhaps you would understand - although she is a pale shadow of BJ.  <E>:-P</E>  I notice this morning that she is either going grey (with worry?) or lightening her hair.

I bet that is more to do with not being able to get a hairdresser in lockdown, and who's she got to blame for that ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Mashup

Quote from: Nick on June 18, 2020, 09:55:23 PM
Quote from: Mashup on June 18, 2020, 09:21:45 PMNo deal can be made without compromise, especially when asking the EU to give access to its markets and services.

Typical remainer stance, you  think the EU hold all the cards when they don't.
The EU population is 446 million, about 6% of the world. Can you please explain how trading with the other 94% instead, in what ever form it comes is going to impact us, especially when there is a 65 billion deficit involved.

What does that have to do with what I posted?

Are you disagreeing with my assertion that trade deals require comprimise and that the ERG oppose any form of comprimise with the EU?

Mashup

There is no equal relationship between the UK and EU27. In such a situation the EU27 can and have set out the conditions of the UK having access to their markets and services.

The UK voluntarily put itself in this position when it chose to leave the EU. If you didn't want to take a knee the UK shouldn't have walked away from its position of considerable influence within the EU.

It's not Keir's job to fix the governments problems and Brexit is screw up of epic proportions.

Nick

Quote from: Mashup on June 18, 2020, 09:21:45 PMNo deal can be made without compromise, especially when asking the EU to give access to its markets and services.

Typical remainer stance, you  think the EU hold all the cards when they don't.
The EU population is 446 million, about 6% of the world. Can you please explain how trading with the other 94% instead, in what ever form it comes is going to impact us, especially when there is a 65 billion deficit involved.

T00ts

Quote from: Mashup on June 18, 2020, 09:21:45 PM
Starmer has adopted a position of holding the government to on its promises rather than getting drawn into finding a solution to a problem which can't be solved as long as the ERG control the government's Brexit policy.

The ERG are fundamentally opposed to any compromise with the EU and therefore the government is too. No deal can be made without compromise, especially when asking the EU to give access to its markets and services.

Brexit was always going to end badly but the Conservatives value party unity and power over the interests of the country so here we are.

PMQ post-transition period is going to fun. I'm not sure waffle and misdirection will be enough to dig Boris out of the hole he's soon to find himself in.

Maybe Starmer should read out the promises made by Boris' own leave campaign.

Starmer has feet of clay. He will take a document and take it apart with little clue of what might replace it. Unless we make a complete break with the EU there can never be an equal relationship as befits two separate countries. The EU will only respect us if we stand up to them and show that only equality will do. To expect us to somehow remain on one knee before them was never going to suit us.

Mashup

Starmer has adopted a position of holding the government to on its promises rather than getting drawn into finding a solution to a problem which can't be solved as long as the ERG control the government's Brexit policy.

The ERG are fundamentally opposed to any compromise with the EU and therefore the government is too. No deal can be made without compromise, especially when asking the EU to give access to its markets and services.

Brexit was always going to end badly but the Conservatives value party unity and power over the interests of the country so here we are.

PMQ post-transition period is going to fun. I'm not sure waffle and misdirection will be enough to dig Boris out of the hole he's soon to find himself in.

Maybe Starmer should read out the promises made by Boris' own leave campaign.

Nick

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=20809 time=1586352762 user_id=70
Now Keir Starmer has been overwhelmingly elected Labour leader, and as he is already forging links with government and the other party leaders, could he be the person to chivvy others into injecting some realism into Brexit activities before the 31 January 2021 deadline?

The current transition period is meant to give both sides some breathing space while a new free trade agreement is negotiated.

Little appears to be happening.

If a new free trade agreement cannot be agreed in time, the UK faces the prospect of having to trade with no deal in place. That would mean tariffs (taxes) on UK goods travelling to the EU and other trade barriers. And many other aspects of the future UK-EU relationship still need to be decided, eg:

Access to fishing waters

Aviation standards and safety

Law enforcement, data sharing and security

Licensing and regulation of medicines

Supplies of electricity and gas

Boris Johnson has insisted that the transition period will not be extended, but the timetable appears to be extremely challenging. It seems a Sod'em and flouncing out response is going to be even more harmful post Convi-19...

Still need to be decided?

Fishing rights: The EU have no rights to fish our waters so no agreement needed.

Aviation: These agreements were put in place after the war and we simply revert back to them. No agreement needed.

Law enforcement:  That's why we got out, to stop interference from the EU. As for data and security, the UK leads the way by a mile, it's up to the EU whether they want to cooperate.

Medicine: 90% of the worlds medicine is produced outside of the EU and that number is going to increase come the end of the year. We don't need the EU to tell us what we can and can't do.

Fuel: We have our own gas fields, for some strange reason we sell ours cheap and then buy it back at an increased rate, this will stop. We also have power stations in the UK, do you not know this?

You really do need to grow a pair and let go of mummy's apron string Pat.

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=20979 time=1586509682 user_id=50
Sorry Toots, but did you really believe his quaffing Merlot in Glasgow crack?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Anyway, Independence is only the first step for Thomas. Once thats achieved, his plan is to go back to semi-permanent border raiding parties brandishing his claymore and wearing a tam o shanter and a kilt  :lol:

:hattip  I quite like to keep my little bit of mystique. I believe everything Thomas says ......... ;) Why wouldn't I?  (She says with innocence)