Any ideas on what Boris will do next?

Started by Borchester, October 19, 2019, 07:43:21 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Findeton post_id=1411 time=1571567328 user_id=76
The PM is not above the law, so obviously you're wrong. If he didn't follow the law, the courts need to judge him.

You talk about democracy, but a system where the most powerful politician is above the law cannot be considered a democracy. Rule of law is a required property of any system that can be considered democratic.

Again you miss the point. I have not said that the PM is above the law. He has sent a letter. What the courts cannot do is force him personally to send a letter that the government does not support. So the letter is unsigned while he explains in a further missive just why.

Our politics are not run by courts. Therefore it is my submission that running to the courts like children running to mummy is not the way to go. The courts need to be mindful of that.

Findeton

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1408 time=1571566861 user_id=54
I think it will be a massive mistake for the courts to get any more involved in this circus. It seems that there are some both in and outside parliament who run to the courts if democracy doesn't suit them.

The PM is not above the law, so obviously you're wrong. If he didn't follow the law, the courts need to judge him.

You talk about democracy, but a system where the most powerful politician is above the law cannot be considered a democracy. Rule of law is a required property of any system that can be considered democratic.

T00ts

I think it will be a massive mistake for the courts to get any more involved in this circus. It seems that there are some both in and outside parliament who run to the courts if democracy doesn't suit them.

Barry

Quote from: Findeton post_id=1406 time=1571565122 user_id=76
The courts will decide, but sending the second letter seems to contravene the spirit of the law.

So you weren't lying then, just exaggerating or putting your "neutral" spin on the proceedings.

QuoteNailed what? We all have to comply with the law, even when we don't like it. Sed lex, dura lex.

Boris complied with the law.  :hattip
† The end is nigh †

Findeton

Quote from: Barry post_id=1403 time=1571563850 user_id=51
I knew he gave an undertaking to the Scottish court to send the letter, which he has. Where did he give any undertaking not to send any other letters? How can a country/ parliament bind a Prime Minister not to send other communications to the EU? Because they have not, have they?

The courts will decide, but sending the second letter seems to contravene the spirit of the law.

Quote from: Barry post_id=1403 time=1571563850 user_id=51
Absolutely nailed it!  :hattip

Nailed what? We all have to comply with the law, even when we don't like it. Sed lex, dura lex.

Barry

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=1359 time=1571534224 user_id=74
Prole TV!

Is this your idea of what Boris will do next? A second referendum?

:fpigs:
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: Findeton post_id=1361 time=1571555701 user_id=76
So Boris did send the letter asking for an extension, even when he said he wouldn't. He also sent two letters even when he assured the courts he wouldn't.

I knew he gave an undertaking to the Scottish court to send the letter, which he has. Where did he give any undertaking not to send any other letters? How can a country/ parliament bind a Prime Minister not to send other communications to the EU? Because they have not, have they?

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1384 time=1571558834 user_id=54
No you still don't understand the nuance. BJ has made it clear that the letter is under duress and a demand of parliament not government.  This is a power play and the EU needs to think carefully before they get sucked in to parliament's game here.

Absolutely nailed it!  :hattip
† The end is nigh †

Findeton

Quote from: Thomas post_id=1389 time=1571559286 user_id=58
Have to say findeton you have been proved right and johnson has had to climb down under duress admittedly , but climb down nevertheless.

Fully expect another extension now as you said , but if the eu has any sense then they will only offer one with strings attached.

You have to admit rather than the tide turning against brexit in england , the electorate are getting even angrier at the behaviour of the likes of oliver letwin.

The question is how long can the status quo continue? The status quo is the problem , but neither british nationalists can see that , nor remainers.

Remain seems to be winning small skirmishes at the minute in parliament , but eventually these politicians especially in england are going to have to face the music.

How long can they keep this delaying action up?

Well, if this deal doesn't pass now, there's going to be an election and then we'll see whether the electorate actually wants this deal or not.

Thomas

Quote from: Findeton post_id=1387 time=1571558961 user_id=76
We all are under "duress" of the law. Sed lex, dura lex.

Have to say findeton you have been proved right and johnson has had to climb down under duress admittedly , but climb down nevertheless.

Fully expect another extension now as you said , but if the eu has any sense then they will only offer one with strings attached.

You have to admit rather than the tide turning against brexit in england , the electorate are getting even angrier at the behaviour of the likes of oliver letwin.

The question is how long can the status quo continue? The status quo is the problem , but neither british nationalists can see that , nor remainers.

Remain seems to be winning small skirmishes at the minute in parliament , but eventually these politicians especially in england are going to have to face the music.

How long can they keep this delaying action up?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Findeton

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1384 time=1571558834 user_id=54
No you still don't understand the nuance. BJ has made it clear that the letter is under duress and a demand of parliament not government.  This is a power play and the EU needs to think carefully before they get sucked in to parliament's game here.

We all are under "duress" of the law. Sed lex, dura lex.

T00ts

Quote from: Findeton post_id=1380 time=1571558339 user_id=76
It is the government's request. It was sent by the PM, Boris Johnson. The EU is relevant in the sense that the letter is to the EU. The EU will answer to the UK government, the same one that sent the letter requesting the extension. Of course, they will possibly grant a longer period of time.

Findeton

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1378 time=1571557981 user_id=54
That totally misrepresents my  post. BJ has sent a letter - unsigned - making it quite clear that it is not the government's request. It is a ploy by Remainer MPs to try to renege on our decision to leave. The EU is irrelevant in this. Time will come when the UK Electorate will sort this problem.

It is the government's request. It was sent by the PM, Boris Johnson. The EU is relevant in the sense that the letter is to the EU. The EU will answer to the UK government, the same one that sent the letter requesting the extension. Of course, they will possibly grant a longer period of time.

T00ts

Quote from: Findeton post_id=1375 time=1571557601 user_id=76
The EU will do nothing. Nothing means graciously granting the extension that Boris has humbly requested. The EU will not be the entity that decides when and/or how the UK leaves the EU. It has to be UK's making, otherwise all these liars including Boris Johnson would attack and blame the EU for any fallout. You want the EU not to grant the extension, but I'm guessing you'd also be quite happy to blame them afterwards whenever Brexit causes any economic or political disruption in the UK.

MPs already had taken over government before he became PM, and neither you, me, or Boris are stupid, so don't try to sell me that nobody knew what meant to lead a minority government.

You mean legally speaking, which in this case is pointless as it's just a matter of time. In reality,the Commons have forced the PM to request the extension, and thus the Commons will also accept it when the EU grants it. This is the third extension, by now we all know how it works.

That totally misrepresents my  post. BJ has sent a letter - unsigned - making it quite clear that it is not the government's request. It is a ploy by Remainer MPs to try to renege on our decision to leave. The EU is irrelevant in this. Time will come when the UK Electorate will sort this problem.

Findeton

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1368 time=1571557000 user_id=54
Why would he roll over at the first notion that opposition MPs would take over government without an election? He is doing what he can and showing some backbone. THank goodness he hasn't flown a white flag and given in willingly to a political shower that have only one aim.We have a group of MPs who are misusing the situation of a minority government in order to take power by the back door. This is nothing about Bexit it's a power game.

The best thing the EU can do now is nothing.

The EU will do nothing. Nothing means graciously granting the extension that Boris has humbly requested. The EU will not be the entity that decides when and/or how the UK leaves the EU. It has to be UK's making, otherwise all these liars including Boris Johnson would attack and blame the EU for any fallout. You want the EU not to grant the extension, but I'm guessing you'd also be quite happy to blame them afterwards whenever Brexit causes any economic or political disruption in the UK.

MPs already had taken over government before he became PM, and neither you, me, or Boris are stupid, so don't try to sell me that nobody knew what meant to lead a minority government.

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1370 time=1571557092 user_id=54
As I understand it the default position is that we leave on 31st deal or no deal. That has not changed.

You mean legally speaking, which in this case is pointless as it's just a matter of time. In reality,the Commons have forced the PM to request the extension, and thus the Commons will also accept it when the EU grants it. This is the third extension, by now we all know how it works.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1370 time=1571557092 user_id=54
As I understand it the default position is that we leave on 31st deal or no deal. That has not changed.

Wasn't that the position in March,I am sure you said it was.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!