Lying

Started by Nalaar, April 10, 2020, 12:46:58 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: Borchester post_id=21230 time=1586785986 user_id=62To my way of thinking, folk who insist on telling the truth can best be described as smug, self obsessed arseholes whose egos are in inverse proportion to their social skills.

Why do you prefer that the people who you share your life with lie to you?
Don't believe everything you think.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=21211 time=1586777174 user_id=89
No sign of Bojo the Clown showing any remorse.

Or you ever growing up.

To my way of thinking, folk who insist on telling the truth can best be described as smug, self obsessed arseholes whose egos are in inverse proportion to their social skills.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=21211 time=1586777174 user_id=89

Or you ever growing up.

To my way of thinking, folk who insist on telling the truth can best be described as smug, self obsessed arseholes whose egos are in inverse proportion to their social skills.
Algerie Francais !

Nalaar

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=21210 time=1586776790 user_id=63
Revisiting the OP, I see now something I failed to fully understand

The premise cited is that those who lie will eventually feel remorse, guilt, etc..

What if they dont.

To reply with another quote from the book -

Quote One of the greatest problems for the liar is that he must keep track of his lies. Some people are better at this than others. Psychopaths can assume this burden of mental

accounting without any obvious distress. That is no accident: They are psychopaths. They do not care about others and are quite happy to sever relationships whenever the need arises. Some people are monsters of egocentricity. But there is no question that lying comes at a psychological cost for the rest of us.

So yes, an outlier like a psychopath will not be bound to the penalties of lying. However, I do not think it is appropriate that non-psychopaths try to emulate this, as they are not psychopaths, and thus will feel the penalties.

cromwell

https://i.ibb.co/DCkrNpp/IMG-20200413-122834.jpg">
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=21210 time=1586776790 user_id=63

The premise cited is that those who lie will eventually feel remorse, guilt, etc..

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

What if they dont.

What if, like tony blair, they lie routinely, habitually, and make millions from it.

I see no problem in lying through my teeth to acquire the money he has. My problem is unlike him I needed to tell my clients the truth to acquire their business ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nalaar

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=21108 time=1586616813 user_id=70
Besides, what's life without a bit of fun and laughter?

This presents a false dichotomy between 'being truthful' and 'having fun'.

It is not a choice of one or the other, you can have both (or neither).

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=21186 time=1586701046 user_id=50
Anyone who says they've never told a lie is...err...lying  :lol:

:D  :D
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Barry post_id=21069 time=1586598656 user_id=51
Does your plain speech include lies when it suits you?

Anyone who says they've never told a lie is...err...lying  :lol:

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=21052 time=1586551669 user_id=63
You opened with a post indicating the toxic nature of lies, but while I have shown why the ability to lie is a fundamental requirement of human development, actually I agree with you here.

All that seems true — a happy life cannot be run on digital choices. For me it requires some application of fuzzy logic, perhaps to give happiness to others. Besides, what's life without a bit of fun and laughter? Having to weigh every though and word could suppress that...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts post_id=21098 time=1586610674 user_id=54
LOL Oh dear - if we were in the shop together looking for clothes, then yes. Once it's home she has already made that decision.

Fair, if you want to be lied to, and your partner is aware if that, then that is a quasi-social contract between two of you that works and is grand.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=21096 time=1586610467 user_id=99
I can't recall ever seeing my partner wear anything I didn't think she looked beautiful in, which makes the truth easy to come by. Nonetheless if she did wear something that I didn't think suited her, the problem is the clothes, not her, and I would be happy to tell her so.

Would you rather that someone told you that you suited something which they thought you did not?

LOL Oh dear - if we were in the shop together looking for clothes, then yes. Once it's home she has already made that decision.

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts post_id=21092 time=1586610169 user_id=54
Really? Do you have a woman in your life? I can't help wondering at what point complete truth becomes cruelty.

If a woman asks is this dress ok, she doesn't want an analysis of it's good and bad points, she just wants an overall approval. If she didn't like it she would not put it on so the answer is - you look gorgeous darling with a genuine smile. On the other hand if you feel it isn't appropriate for the occasion the answer is 'Darling you look gorgeous but do you think so and so outfit would fit in better on this occasion. You look absolutely stunning in that too'.

I can't recall ever seeing my partner wear anything I didn't think she looked beautiful in, which makes the truth easy to come by. Nonetheless if she did wear something that I didn't think suited her, the problem is the clothes, not her, and I would be happy to tell her so.

Would you rather that someone told you that you suited something which they thought you did not?

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=21092 time=1586610169 user_id=54

If a woman asks is this dress ok, she doesn't want an analysis of it's good and bad points, she just wants an overall approval..

"Does this dress make my bum look big?"    "No dear all the beer and chocolate does that."
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe