Members Reading Thread

Started by Nalaar, April 16, 2020, 03:10:23 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Currently reading 'Against Empathy: The case for rational compassion' by Paul Bloom.

Bloom argues that empathy is overrated, prejudicial, and should not be considered a solution to a number of problems which is it assumed to be the answer for.
Don't believe everything you think.

Nalaar

I am currently reading 'On Having No Head' by David Harding.

Keeping somewhat on the theme of Consciousness from Goffs book, this (much older) book delves into what it is to recognise that you are experience. Harding first noticed this from viewing the 'Self-Portrait' by Ernst Mach, he developed practices to show others their "headlessness" over the years, but this book was what put him on the map.

What follows is an excerpt of Harding experiencing having no head, while stationed in the Himalayan mountain range.

QuoteTo look was enough. And what I found was khaki trouserlegs terminating downwards in a pair of brown shoes, khaki sleeves terminating sideways in a pair of pink hands, and a khaki shirtfront terminating upwards in – absolutely nothing whatever! Certainly not in a head.

It took me no time at all to notice this nothing, this hole where a head should have been, was no ordinary vacancy, no mere nothing. On the contrary, it was a nothing that found room for everything—room for grass, trees, shadowy distant hills, and far beyond them snow-peaks like a row of angular clouds riding the blue sky. I had lost a head and gained a world.

Streetwalker

I do have a couple of books that I got for Yuletide that I was saving for my summer  holidays so I may as well make a start on them . Billy Connolly ,short stories is one and the other is  by my cousin ,hes from the clever side of the family and is about geology ,science and the interconnecting lives of the people that are unearthed .

I'll read the big Yin first  :D

papasmurf

Quote from: "Bright Young Thing" post_id=22243 time=1587639163 user_id=49
Can you read French papa? I can understand basic stuff but doubt I could read a whole book, god knows how my cooking would turn out. A great skill to have!

When it comes to food and cookery my French is OK.  (But don't get me started about French government forms. Even the French have problems.

The book also has many illustrations.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Bright Young Thing

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=22238 time=1587638503 user_id=89
Currently reading:- La Bonne Cuisine D'Aujourd'hui. A comprehensive manual of cookery.

Can you read French papa? I can understand basic stuff but doubt I could read a whole book, god knows how my cooking would turn out. A great skill to have!
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

Bright Young Thing

Quote from: Barry post_id=22237 time=1587638490 user_id=51
"This is going to Hurt" an autobiography by a doctor who kept diaries of his events as a "junior" doctor.

He eventually left the health service after it affected his health.

I'm not a good reader, as an event 20+ years ago limited my ability to read for long periods, but this book is like a diary, so can be put down.

Some poignant, some funny and all quite interesting.

By Adam Kay

ISBN: 978-1-5098-5861-3

A fantastic read Barry. He has also done another book, on Christmas shifts he worked. Not as long, not as gripping but still a good read.

papasmurf

Currently reading:- La Bonne Cuisine D'Aujourd'hui. A comprehensive manual of cookery.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

"This is going to Hurt" an autobiography by a doctor who kept diaries of his events as a "junior" doctor.

He eventually left the health service after it affected his health.

I'm not a good reader, as an event 20+ years ago limited my ability to read for long periods, but this book is like a diary, so can be put down.

Some poignant, some funny and all quite interesting.

By Adam Kay

ISBN: 978-1-5098-5861-3
† The end is nigh †

Javert

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=22202 time=1587587266 user_id=99
Currently reading 'Galileo's Error: Foundations for a New Science of Consciousness' by Philip Goff

The premise is that Galileo's revolution of the Modern Scientific Method offers plenty of answers for 'how' questions, but not 'why' questions (otherwise known as Galilean Dualism) which Goff believes is the reason why Science is struggling to make any progress in understanding consciousness.

Goff presents the 3 possible paths to solving the Consciousness problem 1) Naturalistic Dualism, 2) Materialism, 3) Panpsychism.

Personally I've come to this book on the understanding that Goff is a Proponent of Panpsychist thinking, and that he makes the case for it strongly. It is something quite radical, and not without strong opposition, but something I'm interested to learn more about.

Great.  I'm reading Asterix goes to Great Britain  :hattip

I particularly like the quote:

"Is it always this foggy in Britain".

"No, only when it's not raining".

Seriously though - unfortunately I have large piles of books in the "to read" section of my "library" (pile next to the bed) but rarely get beyond the newspaper before bedtime.

The last book I finished was "The Falcom Tatoo" which was a passable crime story.

Other recent ones were "An Inspector Calls" and "A Christmas Carol" - (trying to help my daughter with school) - "The Best of Poetry", "The Day the World Came to Town" (about the Gander airport during 9/11), "Red Storm Rising", "The Road", and a biography of Shane McGowan of which I can't remember the name.

Nalaar

Currently reading 'Galileo's Error: Foundations for a New Science of Consciousness' by Philip Goff

The premise is that Galileo's revolution of the Modern Scientific Method offers plenty of answers for 'how' questions, but not 'why' questions (otherwise known as Galilean Dualism) which Goff believes is the reason why Science is struggling to make any progress in understanding consciousness.

Goff presents the 3 possible paths to solving the Consciousness problem 1) Naturalistic Dualism, 2) Materialism, 3) Panpsychism.

Personally I've come to this book on the understanding that Goff is a Proponent of Panpsychist thinking, and that he makes the case for it strongly. It is something quite radical, and not without strong opposition, but something I'm interested to learn more about.

Bright Young Thing

I read all the time, but mainly for stress relief and a bit of escapism so nothing too heavy duty! I also find that due to ongoing anxiety issues my concentration is not the best so something light is better, anything too complicated I struggle to retain in a bad cycle.

I have around 200 paperbacks up in the attic that I re-read from time to time, if there is nothing new that I fancy (only takes me a couple of days to get through a book so I go through a lot!). Currently re-reading the collection of Dick Francis books that belonged to my grandmother - mostly original ones from the 60s and 70s although I've also bought newer ones myself. Don't particularly like the newer ones by Felix but I will still read them. I also have all the 'Skinner' books by Quintin Jardine (Thomas may know them more than the rest of you) he's a bit like a Scottish Robocop but still good. I also enjoy Peter James, Peter Robinson and Ian Rankin.

Thomas

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=21465 time=1587046223 user_id=99
What are you reading? Want to give a book read a quick review? Then post it here!

I mostly read non-fiction, with some fantasy and Sci-Fi thrown in.

I'm currently reading 'Legends of the Dark Millennium - The T'au Empire' a collection of short stories set in the far future, not something I'd recommend to anyone not already familiar with the Universe it's set in (which has literally hundreds of books of lore) but a nice trashy pallet cleanser nonetheless.

Well , i am an avid reader , and have a large bookcase sitting in my hallway. The vast majority of my books are historical , political , and sci fi/fantasy like yourself nalaar. I also have a number of language books and a keen interest in scottish gaidhlig.

I received three scottish history books as i often do  , at christmas , two by professor GWS Barrow concentrating on the medieval period and the feudalisation of celtic scotland , and a general history book on the whole of scottish history as far back as scholastic research can penetrate , by michael lynch.

Finished them ages ago now it seems , all good reads , especially the books by barrow , but now find myself at a loose end and have recently started re reading Raymond e feist`s series on midkemia , starting with "magician". Currently on "darkness at sethanon" , a book i first read probably thirty years ago.

Not heard of the book you mention , so maybe have to look that up. Thoroughly enjoy sci fi / fantasy to take a lighthearted break from the sometime in depth history books i read.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nalaar

What are you reading? Want to give a book read a quick review? Then post it here!

I mostly read non-fiction, with some fantasy and Sci-Fi thrown in.

I'm currently reading 'Legends of the Dark Millennium - The T'au Empire' a collection of short stories set in the far future, not something I'd recommend to anyone not already familiar with the Universe it's set in (which has literally hundreds of books of lore) but a nice trashy pallet cleanser nonetheless.