Members Reading Thread

Started by Nalaar, April 16, 2020, 03:10:23 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Currently reading 'Crisis of the Republic' by Hannah Arendt, whose books I have been recommended many times, and am finally getting round to reading.
Don't believe everything you think.

srb7677

I am currently reading a book about the Suez crisis of 1956.

The deceit, double dealing and deception is shocking to behold, likewise the pompous arrogance of senior leading Tory politicians of the day who still thought in imperialistic terms and wanted to teach the Egyptions a lesson. Also the PM, Anthony Eden was taking meds at the time which were based upon amphetamines which tended to make him experience bouts of hyper-activity and paranoia. The brazenness of lying to parliament and the media was epic, and there were even attempts to take government control of the BBC and silence it's reporting of the opposition.

No wonder this led to the demise of Eden when the truth all started to come out. What is less recognised because he successfully distanced himself from it after the fact, was that Eden's successor Harold Macmillan totally backed Eden at the time, dodgy deals, duplicity and outright lies and all.

Hubris was definitely followed by nemesis in this case.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Just started The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway. Have been meaning to read it for years.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nalaar

Starting the new year with 'I Would Leave Me If I Could' a collection of poetry by artist Halsey.

Nick

Whilst working at LCY earlier this year I spotted 25% off all books so got Eddie Jones book, and I am embarrassed to say I've not opened it. As a big rugby fan I owe it to my self to start reading it, and I will.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Re-reading Niall Ferguson's "Empire". Started it, but put it down somewhere and lost it. Saw it locally after someone mentioned it recently and bought it. It's insightful and intelligent précis of British imperial story...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Javert

I just started to read "Economics A User Guide" by Ha-Joon Chang.

I got this book for my daughter as she has just started an Economics A level and the teacher seems to assume that everyone in the class already has a GCSE economics, which half of them don't.  I thought I should also get a copy and read it to see if I can help her out where she is struggling.

I am up to chapter 4 so far but I have to say this seems like a very good book - I was thinking it would be a real struggle full of graphs and figures but actually it's nothing of the sort.

I will update when finished as it's also quite enlightening about various aspects of Economics, Politics, and history.

Bright Young Thing

To be honest I'm reading back through all my old Dick Francis paperbacks - reading is escapism for me so CBA with anything too highbrow or wordy.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis on October 04, 2020, 10:01:44 PMNonetheless, it doesn't sound very good, it's modern poetry, modern poetry just... isn't poetry.

I've never quite understood the gate-keeping that seems so commonplace among the arts. When do you believe poetry stopped, what was the last poem?

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar on October 04, 2020, 07:42:55 PM
It's certainly a good example of my typing skills not being all that they should be.

Not just yours it would seem, in eagerness and rising 'disappointment'. ;)

Nonetheless, it doesn't sound very good, it's modern poetry, modern poetry just... isn't poetry.
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: patman post on October 04, 2020, 07:02:39 PM
Is that another example of perjorative smuggling? The image of you readying Violet bent backwards over anything anywhere so soon after your nuptials gives rise to sad disappointment...

It's certainly a good example of my typing skills not being all that they should be.

patman post

Quote from: Nalaar on October 03, 2020, 01:02:35 PM
Currently readying Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass, a book of poetry and photography by Lana Del Rey. Ain't nothing better to pass the time on a rainy Saturday.
Is that another example of perjorative smuggling? The image of you readying Violet bent backwards over anything anywhere so soon after your nuptials gives rise to sad disappointment...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nalaar

Quote from: Javert on October 03, 2020, 03:44:32 PM
Just on the last part of "The Skeleton Cupboard" by Tanya Byron.

(I'm actually listening on Audible but hopefully that counts).

For reasons I don't understand I much prefer to 'read' fantasy/non-fiction on Audible rather than paperback, whereas non-fiction is a paper only for me.

Javert

Just on the last part of "The Skeleton Cupboard" by Tanya Byron.

(I'm actually listening on Audible but hopefully that counts).

Nalaar

Currently readying Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass, a book of poetry and photography by Lana Del Rey. Ain't nothing better to pass the time on a rainy Saturday.