Brexit to still go ahead despite coronavirus.

Started by Thomas, April 17, 2020, 12:27:08 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: GerryT post_id=22688 time=1587985586 user_id=61
Unusual for Barnier to comment during discussions and he's not one for scoring points. His comments are reflecting the reality of what the UK team are doing, which is in summary like what their predecessors have done for 3 yrs and that's not much at all. The EU gave the UK a full set of documents covering the key aspects of a future trade deal that they would want. The UK team have not done this and have only given detail in one or two areas, saying to the EU that several trade agreements should be made, all standing on their own. The UK knows this is never going to be acceptable to the UK, this would resemble the Switzerland deal and the EU have said it's not going to repeat that.

A future trade deal is only possible if both sides say what they want and start to negotiate, which is why Barnier said the UK are just winding down the clock and That genuine progress in these four areas are needed:

Level Playing Field

Justice

Fisheries

Irish border

This for me is a message to the UK, if a future trade deal isn't agreed and the UK crashes out, it's down to the lack of engagement and decision by the UK. No point in trying to blame the EU.

Can we see these documents that you are obviously privy to? As for crashing out, there are 7.2 billion people outside the EU so no, we are crashing into the rest of the world not out of the 380 million in the EU. 🎣
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=22642 time=1587973631 user_id=89
During lockdown the market for their fish and shellfish had virtually disappeared. The same will apply with no agreement with France.

Fishmongers are still open and trading, I wonder why you constantly do your country down and think we need France? We are more than capable of regenerating our fishing fleet and selling to France. We don't need their boats.

Barry

Quote from: Nick post_id=22768 time=1588022765 user_id=73
It's actually 12 miles, and I have personally seen Spanish pair trawlers within that marker on many occasions whilst out fishing. Think I'll start taking a shot gun out with me. It's isn't international law either, our fishing grounds are our's and nothing the international community can do about it unless we decide to trade them away.

One of these could be more appropriate, but may cause offence.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/AGM-84_Harpoon_launched_from_USS_Leahy_%28CG-16%29.jpg">
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=22640 time=1587972256 user_id=53
Inshore fishing ,within 6 miles of the coast is a different matter and can be exclusively for British fishermen if we so choose . I don't believe that will be the case though ,the main objective is to get out of the disastrous CFP not to punish foreign fishermen .

The EU from Barrys link would suggest they want to carry on as if we haven't left  and is why Barnier is coping the hump with our position . (That we will be telling him what the deal is )

It's actually 12 miles, and I have personally seen Spanish pair trawlers within that marker on many occasions whilst out fishing. Think I'll start taking a shot gun out with me. It's isn't international law either, our fishing grounds are our's and nothing the international community can do about it unless we decide to trade them away.

Barry

This is going to the wire again in December this year, isn't it? By which time CV19 will be history and everyone will be looking to increase production, trade and GDP.

Perhaps CV19 will come to our rescue as pragmatism and profit will always drive a deal, even at the last minute.
† The end is nigh †

Stevlin

Unusual for Barnier to comment during discussions and he's not one for scoring points. His comments are reflecting ......

Whether Barnier  is one for 'scoring points' or not is debateable - but he is undoubtedly someone who fatuously suggests that the disadvantages are greatly stacked against Britain alone, as the UK  '.......will face 'lots of consequences' if it chooses to walk away from post-Brexit trade talks with the EU.'

It obviously will be worse for the UK in the short term, as the UK will lose advantageous trading with far more countries than the other EU member states. However, that is in the short term....and ALL the other EU states , in the absence of a trade deal, will lose  beneficial market access, even if it does only cover  a small portion of their trade....in time, the UK CAN replace those markets with mutually advantageous trade deals, designed to accommodate the UK's own areas of economic strengths, AND with a much larger number of other countries. It will also have   the benefit of leaving a ridiculous, and totally unwarranted political entity,together with several other advantages, associated with truly INDEPENDENT countries...such as control of borders, and spending 'subsidies' to benefit  UK's own needs instead of  other European countries.

Stevlin

The issue is fairly simple to grasp...the EU, on the face of it, are not prepared to accept the UK enacting what the referendum demanded, which was to be totally free of the EU. The result of being completely independent of the EU REQUIRES the UK to act as a completely independent nation, meaning NO political ties with the EU whatsoever.

The EU however, wish to retain the basis of trade via their regulatory rules....established in accordance with their 'politically' motivated set of EU established trade regulations and other 'requirements'...including ridiculously allowing the EU to retain right of access to UK fishing territories.  Politically, the UK cannot accept such a mandatory requirement, so unless the EU drop their insistence on that proviso, then the UK might just as well terminate the negotiations and leave without a trade deal.

Undoubtedly, that will be initially far more painful to the UK than it would  to the EU...but we are already 'up to our eyeballs' as it is with our economical outlook, and at least we could save on that ridiculous £39 bill 'gift' to the EU. Leaving without a deal is small fry compared to the Covid 19 problems , as only about 6% of UK businesses are involved with EU trade, ( according to Full Facts),  so just lets get out NOW , and trade on WTO terms.....there are a lot more  markets on offer than the EU.....even if they are not as close.....and they are certainly apolitical....which provides a more suitable, and sensible  basis for trading.

Streetwalker

Unusual for Barnier to comment during discussions and he's not one for scoring points. His comments are reflecting the reality of what the UK team are doing, which is in summary like what their predecessors have done for 3 yrs and that's not much at all. The EU gave the UK a full set of documents covering the key aspects of a future trade deal that they would want. The UK team have not done this and have only given detail in one or two areas, saying to the EU that several trade agreements should be made, all standing on their own. The UK knows this is never going to be acceptable to the UK, this would resemble the Switzerland deal and the EU have said it's not going to repeat that.

A future trade deal is only possible if both sides say what they want and start to negotiate, which is why Barnier said the UK are just winding down the clock and That genuine progress in these four areas are needed:

Level Playing Field

Justice

Fisheries

Irish border

This for me is a message to the UK, if a future trade deal isn't agreed and the UK crashes out, it's down to the lack of engagement and decision by the UK. No point in trying to blame the EU.

Not really blaming the EU Gerry they have there standpoint and we have ours which are some way apart . The EU are bound by regulation that doesn't give them much wriggle room and the UK is bound by its promises to the UK voter that they will deliver on certain issues and be out by next January.

GerryT

Inshore fishing ,within 6 miles of the coast is a different matter and can be exclusively for British fishermen if we so choose . I don't believe that will be the case though ,the main objective is to get out of the disastrous CFP not to punish foreign fishermen .

The EU from Barrys link would suggest they want to carry on as if we haven't left  and is why Barnier is coping the hump with our position . (That we will be telling him what the deal is )

Level Playing Field

Justice

Fisheries

Irish border

papasmurf

Inshore fishing ,within 6 miles of the coast is a different matter and can be exclusively for British fishermen if we so choose .

During lockdown the market for their fish and shellfish had virtually disappeared. The same will apply with no agreement with France.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=22634 time=1587968740 user_id=89
I don't think France and  Britain will come to an agreement. (Mind you there won't be any British inshore fishermen left in a few weeks anyway.)

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=22623 time=1587925266 user_id=53
Why , Don't you think the UK will adhere to International law ?  

I don't think France and  Britain will come to an agreement. (Mind you there won't be any British inshore fishermen left in a few weeks anyway.)

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=22607 time=1587912300 user_id=89
I very much doubt that.

Why , Don't you think the UK will adhere to International law ?  

Leaving the EU does not mean we will have it all our own way with regard to fishing rights . We would revert to pre EU days of UN convention laws of the sea where the UK agrees with other nations of how fish stocks are managed and takes into account the fishing habits of other nations .

This article explains it a bit better

https://theorkneynews.scot/2017/07/03/what-is-the-london-fisheries-convention/">https://theorkneynews.scot/2017/07/03/w ... onvention/">https://theorkneynews.scot/2017/07/03/what-is-the-london-fisheries-convention/

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=22606 time=1587911862 user_id=53
 . Im sure the UK and France will come to an agreement on the fish without the EU interfering .

I very much doubt that.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry post_id=22377 time=1587741958 user_id=51
Has anyone seen this?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-transition-period-extension-barnier-113347045.html">Brexit: Michel Barnier launches blistering attack on UK over major 'problems' in negotiations

I did have a little titter reading it. Obviously Barnier is stamping his feet because the French can't get their own way over their non-existent fishing rights.

With all of the Worlds economies being on the floor as we come out of the corona some time ,whenever , stamping his feet over fishing seems a bit daft . Im sure the UK and France will come to an agreement on the fish without the EU interfering .