Main Menu

How to finish lockdown

Started by T00ts, April 27, 2020, 09:48:44 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell post_id=22695 time=1587988707 user_id=48
Well when this was kicking off before the lockdown I was talking about this with someone I once regarded well,about 40 years younger than me young family who said

"Not really bothered about it,it only kills old people!" still what do I know I'm from the selfish generation.

Sadly that was the line they were fed. Circumstances have proved a little different but many will not have picked up on that. There is a lot of unthinking cruelty which breaks my heart at times.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts post_id=22689 time=1587987157 user_id=54
They have already suggested that infected elderly from homes go to the Nightingale units where they have already admitted there is not enough staff. Nothing really changes.

Well when this was kicking off before the lockdown I was talking about this with someone I once regarded well,about 40 years younger than me young family who said

"Not really bothered about it,it only kills old people!" still what do I know I'm from the selfish generation.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Perhaps the way forward is to ask people 'have you had it?'  If folk are confident that they have then they could go back to work. Perhaps that's what is actually happening today with the increase in numbers travelling etc. Do we really need mass testing to prove something that most individuals would already know. It would take some organising by all the organisations like schools etc but on an individual basis it is surely possible to organise around their own workforce etc.  Retailers etc could with a bit of effort apply distancing, the same with leisure organisations on the whole. It might involve applying longer hours for shifts in some cases but isn't the time approaching when responsibility returns to us rather than a nanny state trying to act for all?

Having said all that, there will be  malingerers, those with no symptoms who simply wouldn't know and the gung ho lot that don't care. If pockets of infection start up then those areas would need action.  I guess it is much easier organisationally for the government to treat us all with blanket rules but perhaps we should be allowed to grow up and be responsible for ourselves and each other.

Would it work?

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell post_id=22687 time=1587985506 user_id=48
I get that business has to open again,I don't mind the idea that those at risk opt to adopt a distance from it all......great if and it's a big if that they are shown some respect and not treated as second class citizens.

Let's face it  once you label one part of society it's all too easy to use it against them,a lot of older people are ignored already by some and the idea that all this covid is somehow their fault and any resulting economic fallout is down to them is festering already,it was there from the baby boomer selfish generation crap that existed before this,every generation has its trials and tribulations but I get the feeling that that this is being seen differently.

They have already suggested that infected elderly from homes go to the Nightingale units where they have already admitted there is not enough staff. Nothing really changes.

cromwell

I get that business has to open again,I don't mind the idea that those at risk opt to adopt a distance from it all......great if and it's a big if that they are shown some respect and not treated as second class citizens.

Let's face it  once you label one part of society it's all too easy to use it against them,a lot of older people are ignored already by some and the idea that all this covid is somehow their fault and any resulting economic fallout is down to them is festering already,it was there from the baby boomer selfish generation crap that existed before this,every generation has its trials and tribulations but I get the feeling that that this is being seen differently.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Here's how Israel are dealing with it. Lots of argument!

https://www.debka.com/government-torn-between-coronavirus-spike-economic-downturn/">//https://www.debka.com/government-torn-between-coronavirus-spike-economic-downturn/
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=22680 time=1587981843 user_id=51

About 1 in 10 are not really complying, already.

That accounts for the still high number of infections and deaths.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Some people are happy with lockdown. 9% are trying to get around it.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... n-11979288">https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-which-are-you-britons-are-accepting-suffering-or-resisting-lockdown-11979288[/url]

QuoteAnalysis by King's College London found that the largest group, around 48% of the UK, have accepted the new way of life during the coronavirus outbreak, while around 44% are suffering and 9% are resisting the changes.

About 1 in 10 are not really complying, already.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Make it optional, particularly for oldies.

Those who wish to remain in lockdown, who fear the virus, stay at home. Those who want to get back to work, do so.

Scott's idea of keeping the elderly/at risk locked down whilst those at less risk get on with restarting the economy does it for me.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Ok let's bite the bullet. Some would have us locked away until the last virus has been slaughtered. Others would wish that we had simply carried on as if C19 was just a chill, but we are locked down now so we are where we are.

BJ is back at No 10 with some major decisions to make. Bearing in mind the news from other places who are seeing a rise in cases again but also the need to revive the economy what would you do? How would you start to open the country up again? Imagine the country's welfare both health and economic depends on you and the buck stops there. Open us up or keep us locked down - the decision is yours. Give us a strategy if you can!