Michael Moore - New Documentary

Started by Scott777, April 29, 2020, 08:58:18 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=23510 time=1588678018 user_id=98
Quite right - he's all about the 'cahntraversy' and the benjamins. He's gotten rich off repeating the same stuff everyone else has been saying for decades, except he's less eloquent.

I think (though it has been many years since I gave it any thought, and I may well have it wrong) his Columbine documentary was genuinely powerful, insightful,  and much better researched and presented than many of the Media reports at the time, but where other social documentarians have been able to keep a distance of personal and policy (Ronson, Theroux etc) Moore has not.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=23117 time=1588279988 user_id=59
So you think the right has brainwashed him, or something like that?  It's not possible he has just woken up a bit?  I think you have a very left-wing bias.  The truth is, the XR fanatics and climate extremists are all starting to wake up.  Just maybe not you.  In fact, we are seeing many lefties making concessions and adjustments, from Noam Chomsky to Yanis Varoufakis....

Woken up from what to what?

Having different biases doesn't suddenly make him right (or wrong) about anything.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=23112 time=1588278165 user_id=99
I'm afraid Moore is someone who seems to me to be narrative driven, which is unappealing to say the least, which is a shame given he certainly has the resources to  be independently critical.

The last movie I saw of his was fahrenheit 911 at the cinema, I remember several people i knew raving about the movie, and was looking forward to seeing it, however in the moment of viewing it felt very forced and really turned me off. More than anything it just felt like a movie...If I can find the will then I will watch the documentary, and hope to be surprised, unlikely as that would seem given his previous record.

Quite right - he's all about the 'cahntraversy' and the benjamins. He's gotten rich off repeating the same stuff everyone else has been saying for decades, except he's less eloquent.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=23505 time=1588677532 user_id=103

It's a measure of how far to the right some members of this forum are that they consider me to be very left-wing!

I have the same problem.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Hyperduck Quack Quack

You think I have a very left-wing bias?  I would describe myself as moderate, leaning to the left on most matters but leaning to the right on others, such as law and order.

It's a measure of how far to the right some members of this forum are that they consider me to be very left-wing!  There's a particular kind of right-wing libertarianism that seeks out and condemns anything that could be seen as leftish, snowflake, virtue signalling etc.  But these so-called 'libertarians' never have any constructive suggestions to offer on solving any of the world's problems, despite knowing all the answers!

Scott777

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=23113 time=1588278689 user_id=103
I've always thought Michael Moore to be a loose cannon of the left.  We're all too familiar with to right-wing populist loose cannons, and now we're paying the price for too many people being conned by their nonsense. But here we have a left-wing troublemaker.

If there is one constructive use to which Micheal Moore could be put, the surely that would be demolishing Trump and all he stands for.  That would keep him away from causing damage elsewhere.

So you think the right has brainwashed him, or something like that?  It's not possible he has just woken up a bit?  I think you have a very left-wing bias.  The truth is, the XR fanatics and climate extremists are all starting to wake up.  Just maybe not you.  In fact, we are seeing many lefties making concessions and adjustments, from Noam Chomsky to Yanis Varoufakis....
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=23112 time=1588278165 user_id=99
I'm afraid Moore is someone who seems to me to be narrative driven, which is unappealing to say the least, which is a shame given he certainly has the resources to  be independently critical.

The last movie I saw of his was fahrenheit 911 at the cinema, I remember several people i knew raving about the movie, and was looking forward to seeing it, however in the moment of viewing it felt very forced and really turned me off. More than anything it just felt like a movie...If I can find the will then I will watch the documentary, and hope to be surprised, unlikely as that would seem given his previous record.

Forced?  Narrative driven?  You mean he has a narrative, and is biased?  In the case of natural conservation, he's been a tree hugger for many years, so you might expect his film to be biased towards that, just like the XR bunch.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

I've always thought Michael Moore to be a loose cannon of the left.  We're all too familiar with to right-wing populist loose cannons, and now we're paying the price for too many people being conned by their nonsense. But here we have a left-wing troublemaker.

If there is one constructive use to which Micheal Moore could be put, the surely that would be demolishing Trump and all he stands for.  That would keep him away from causing damage elsewhere.

Nalaar

Don't believe everything you think.

Borchester

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=23085 time=1588264023 user_id=59
He's definitely real.  You can't miss him.   :lol:

No, but old Plumpton often misses his audience.
Algerie Francais !

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=23081 time=1588259600 user_id=89
The basic premise of the film that green energy of itself won't work without population control is sound in my opinion.

You mean we agree on something!  :o   I need to lie down.

Scott777

Quote from: Borchester post_id=23082 time=1588261168 user_id=62
Dunno.

I don't believe in Climate Change but then I don't believe in Michael Moore either

He's definitely real.  You can't miss him.   :lol:

Borchester

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=22979 time=1588190298 user_id=59
Lefty Michael Moore has produced a fantastic new documentary: Planet of the Humans.  Watch it for free before it gets blocked by the corporations.  Despite Moore's stupid position on Brexit, he often gets it right, and here, he hits the nail on the head, regarding the scam that is the climate emergency.  He's now getting massive stick from the left, so deserves a bloody medal.

Dunno.

I don't believe in Climate Change but then I don't believe in Michael Moore either
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

The basic premise of the film that green energy of itself won't work without population control is sound in my opinion.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Scott777

Quote from: Javert post_id=23023 time=1588240915 user_id=64
It's not just the left - many of the experts in the subject have already come out and said that this documentary is complete nonsense.  I'm not sure when Michael Moore became a climate change denier - I'd say follow the money.

Which experts?  What money?  The video is free.