Adversity strengthens

Started by T00ts, May 02, 2020, 12:17:54 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=23470 time=1588620719 user_id=98
...kind of like, just for example, HM govt eh?

;)

As an aside, I remember some of the really bad stuff you wrote about on the other forum actually and I'm truly sorry you went through that.

(It was quite upsetting reading for many of us I suspect. - btw I'm referring to the forum where you were an admin)

I hope that that can be put behind you and you can have a happy life with your daughter and (I dont know if this part is me mixing you up with someone else) her daughter. My apologies if I've gotten you mixed up there.

Twots will always be twots. What can you do.. don't let them have any effect on you, that's what the bastards want isn't it?

Madam's doing OK these days.

This was her musical theatre group rehearsing for "Guys And Dolls" and some other stuff the week before this lockdown started

She's in the bottom row third from the left at 1 min 56, but to show what she's capable of,  two minutes 46 seconds in.... **SHE** Choreographed that routine HERSELF. She's ten in August...

Oh yeah, the stage dog... Alfie Bow i think it's called. One of two the woman who runs the group owns, and no stranger to the stage, having taken leading roles in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "Annie" .... (!!)
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=23479 time=1588622559 user_id=98
Good point. (not sarcastic)

I defer to python on this delicate subject -

Graham Chapman as Doctor: Now, many of the medical profession are sceptical about my work. They point to my record of treatment of athlete's foot sufferers - eighty-four dead, sixty-five severely wounded and twelve missing believed cured. But then, people laughed at Bob Hope, people laughed at my wife when she wrapped herself up in greaseproof paper and hopped into the Social Security office, but that doesn't mean that Pasteur was wrong! Look, I'll show you what I mean.

:lol:  :lol:  :hattip

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts post_id=23478 time=1588622199 user_id=54
I guess it depends on each individual though. Some have the capacity to dig deep others don't. Some have the ability to put things behind them while others worry it like a bone for ever. I am a bit wary of other's judgement on mental health. I just wonder who would stand up and claim to be completely sane and what do you use as a bench mark?

Good point. (not sarcastic)

I defer to python on this delicate subject -

Graham Chapman as Doctor: Now, many of the medical profession are sceptical about my work. They point to my record of treatment of athlete's foot sufferers - eighty-four dead, sixty-five severely wounded and twelve missing believed cured. But then, people laughed at Bob Hope, people laughed at my wife when she wrapped herself up in greaseproof paper and hopped into the Social Security office, but that doesn't mean that Pasteur was wrong! Look, I'll show you what I mean.
+++

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=23475 time=1588621668 user_id=98
This is really interesting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303496104575560261828332840">https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 1828332840">https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303496104575560261828332840

So 'some adversity' is good, none is bad and too much is bad. IMHO saying that all adversity is good is barmy, and saying that an overly cushy life - no adversity is good is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and very much tone deaf.

I guess it depends on each individual though. Some have the capacity to dig deep others don't. Some have the ability to put things behind them while others worry it like a bone for ever. I am a bit wary of other's judgement on mental health. I just wonder who would stand up and claim to be completely sane and what do you use as a bench mark?

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=23472 time=1588620933 user_id=63
One thing I will say ....

I certainly know how to enjoy myself given the chance.

At the risk of duplicating myself for example, when this current s**t is over, I'm packing an overnight bag, a keyboard and a guitar and the power amp from hell into the car, filling the tank to overflowing, driving like Stirling Moss to the shores of Loch Ness pausing only at Aldi in Ross on Wye where welsh minimum alcohol pricing does not apply ...

On arrival I shall put up a tent regardless of any no camping signs, get blind drunk, connect the amp up to.the cars inverter and play Smoke On The Water AND Sweet Child Of Mine SO BADLY nessie winched and grimaces, and so loudly you'll hear it in Aberdeen AND Truro and all points between, and then at midnight I'm going for a swim in the loch

Stark Bollock Naked

Watch out for Nessy. She/he has been pretty active recently by all accounts.

Borg Refinery

This is really interesting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303496104575560261828332840">https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 1828332840">https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303496104575560261828332840

QuoteDr. Seery says people who have experienced around two to four adverse events in their lifetimes appeared to be the best off. Recent events—within the last six to 18 months—signaled worse mental health on the whole, suggesting that it may take time for an experience of adversity to bolster resilienc

So much of the existing literature shows that having experience with a negative life event is bad, with negative effects on mental and physical health," says Dr. Seery. "But we've found that that is not the whole story, and that people are more resilient in general than we may think."

Adversity, Dr. Seery adds, can help people develop a "psychological immune system" to help them cope with the slings and arrows that life throws, while those with no experience of adversity may have a hard time dealing with tough times.

At the same time, higher levels of adversity, the study found, can overtax coping skills and support networks, creating feelings of hopelessness and loss of control, disrupting the development of toughness and taking a toll on mental health and well-being. Under those circumstances, Dr. Seery says, even the most minor hassles can seem overwhelming.

So 'some adversity' is good, none is bad and too much is bad. IMHO saying that all adversity is good is barmy and artless, and saying that an overly cushy life with no adversity, is good is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and very much tone deaf.
+++

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts post_id=23468 time=1588619980 user_id=54
Your posts make me sad so often and yet you are remarkably strong and knowing in so many ways. There are no rules as far as I can make out as to why some are affected more than others but at the risk of completely alienating you I suspect you have always been a valiant spirit especially in the pre-existence. Sorry I know that goes against the grain for you but for me it is a complete explanation. You  were probably born prepared to fight for what you believe in. It is often said that babies could enlighten us if only they could speak.

I agree with you totally with the cult suicides and so many other cult beliefs but we all make our own decisions about what we believe or don't, but I believe that God and Jesus Christ will have lifted those who struggle with battles that would shatter others, though they may not realise it themselves.

One thing I will say ....

I certainly know how to enjoy myself given the chance.

At the risk of duplicating myself for example, when this current s**t is over, I'm packing an overnight bag, a keyboard and a guitar and the power amp from hell into the car, filling the tank to overflowing, driving like Stirling Moss to the shores of Loch Ness pausing only at Aldi in Ross on Wye where welsh minimum alcohol pricing does not apply ...

On arrival I shall put up a tent regardless of any no camping signs, get blind drunk, connect the amp up to.the cars inverter and play Smoke On The Water AND Sweet Child Of Mine SO BADLY nessie winched and grimaces, and so loudly you'll hear it in Aberdeen AND Truro and all points between, and then at midnight I'm going for a swim in the loch

Stark Bollock Naked
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

There's a saying that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but I'm not so sure. Arthritis is an example. Multiple Sclerosis is another.

I understand the point that we can have extra strengths after adversity.

However, after 20 years of constant adrenaline rushes, my fight and flight got all mixed up and I went a bit off the rails, mentally.

And I have never fully recovered after 23 years!

I do have more understanding of those with mental health issues, mind you.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=23466 time=1588618827 user_id=63I have opinions about those who feel a reward in the next life awaits those downtrodden in this and it's almost as unprintable as that in hold for religious leaders who urge the cult masses to sacrifice themselves for the faith...

...kind of like, just for example, HM govt eh?

;)

As an aside, I remember some of the really bad stuff you wrote about on the other forum actually and I'm truly sorry you went through that.

(It was quite upsetting reading for many of us I suspect. - btw I'm referring to the forum where you were an admin)

I hope that that can be put behind you and you can have a happy life with your daughter and (I dont know if this part is me mixing you up with someone else) her daughter. My apologies if I've gotten you mixed up there.

Twots will always be twots. What can you do.. don't let them have any effect on you, that's what the bastards want isn't it?
+++

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=23466 time=1588618827 user_id=63
I think it's fair to say in the adversity department my cup runneth over.

I'm not entirely convinced any of it has advantaged me.

Admittedly the many individual incidents over the years have hardened me to the point that I am able to function in circumstances less tested people totally lose it, but the price is a terrible one.

The numerous occasions on which I have had to use violence to defend my home and property when the police declined to assist, for example ... last week some thug was found trying his luck burgling houses in this area, and pulled a knife on a homeowner who challenged him.

Knowing plod to be the useless pointless (cant use the word they'll ban me) they are, I pointed out on arsebook theres an 18 inch serrated blade waiting for this scum if he tries my place and it will do something about the lockdown boredom  ... and the applause for that was so large and glowing plod actually started patrolling and got him red handed

I found this profoundly disappointing. I was rather looking forward to gutting the scum.

I think adversity has made me a not very nice person.

I have opinions about those who feel a reward in the next life awaits those downtrodden in this and it's almost as unprintable as that in hold for religious leaders who urge the cult masses to sacrifice themselves for the faith...

Your posts make me sad so often and yet you are remarkably strong and knowing in so many ways. There are no rules as far as I can make out as to why some are affected more than others but at the risk of completely alienating you I suspect you have always been a valiant spirit especially in the pre-existence. Sorry I know that goes against the grain for you but for me it is a complete explanation. You  were probably born prepared to fight for what you believe in. It is often said that babies could enlighten us if only they could speak.

I agree with you totally with the cult suicides and so many other cult beliefs but we all make our own decisions about what we believe or don't, but I believe that God and Jesus Christ will have lifted those who struggle with battles that would shatter others, though they may not realise it themselves.

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=23463 time=1588617831 user_id=98
Aye I hope so too Toots, and well wishes for you, yours is a good attitude. I may be going Biden-y, but I think you said somewhere you're in the vulnerable group, so please look after yourself.  :hattip

Thank you I am trying hard.  :hattip

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts post_id=23313 time=1588491349 user_id=54
I don't agree. We can blithely free-wheel through life with little thought when times are easy, but it's when we hit a rough patch that we are inclined to evaluate  what we really care about. We are all thrilled when our lives produce something that is good. So many have comfortable wealth but little meaning to their lives. I am hopeful that this will be a little turning point for many who will look at the reason for living as not just some hedonistic party. I believe that most people are intrinsically good, well meaning and kind but they tend to get sacrificed in the rush all around them for position, power, wealth and fame in varying degrees. Life is so much more if the blinkers could just be removed.

I think it's fair to say in the adversity department my cup runneth over.

I'm not entirely convinced any of it has advantaged me.

Admittedly the many individual incidents over the years have hardened me to the point that I am able to function in circumstances less tested people totally lose it, but the price is a terrible one.

The numerous occasions on which I have had to use violence to defend my home and property when the police declined to assist, for example ... last week some thug was found trying his luck burgling houses in this area, and pulled a knife on a homeowner who challenged him.

Knowing plod to be the useless pointless (cant use the word they'll ban me) they are, I pointed out on arsebook theres an 18 inch serrated blade waiting for this scum if he tries my place and it will do something about the lockdown boredom  ... and the applause for that was so large and glowing plod actually started patrolling and got him red handed

I found this profoundly disappointing. I was rather looking forward to gutting the scum.

I think adversity has made me a not very nice person.

I have opinions about those who feel a reward in the next life awaits those downtrodden in this and it's almost as unprintable as that in hold for religious leaders who urge the cult masses to sacrifice themselves for the faith...

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts post_id=23461 time=1588617515 user_id=54
You may well be right but I have hope that the endeavour and challenge involved will make us a better country.

Aye I hope so too Toots, and well wishes for you, yours is a good attitude. I may be going Biden-y, but I think you said somewhere you're in the vulnerable group, so please look after yourself.  :hattip
+++

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=23460 time=1588617345 user_id=98
Considering we face a 20-30% per quarter recession after this, life will be more than a bit different after this.

You may well be right but I have hope that the endeavour and challenge involved will make us a better country.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts post_id=23254 time=1588418274 user_id=54
There is a story about an olive tree that grew and grew until it was massive but it bore hardly any olives. A new gardener arrived and started to prune the tree hard and the tree begged him to stop, but the gardener pointed out that the pruning would enhance its harvest. The tree wept. After the pruning was complete the tree was small in comparison to what it felt was his former glory and he felt insignificant and humble, but the rain fell and the sun shone and the gardener visited regularly to fertilise the soil around its base. Gradually as time passed the tree realised that rather than being insignificant his branches were laden with the best olives he had seen for years.

The gardener came back to harvest his crop and the tree understood why there had been pain and humility and that size and height and pride were not all that is necessary in life to be valuable and worthy.

I look at the troubles that surround us and far from the oft wailed cry of why? If there was a a God He wouldn't do this, I see a chance for us all to realise that humility, care and love for others,  service to those not as able as ourselves no matter what form that takes, is what really matters in this life. Will life be just a little bit different after this pandemic?

Considering we face a 20-30% per quarter recession after this, life will be more than a bit different after this.
+++