Adversity strengthens

Started by T00ts, May 02, 2020, 12:17:54 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=23304 time=1588475342 user_id=62
Dunno so much about that Toots.It was the gardener that wanted the olives not the tree, which could survive quite happily without producing any fruit. So the gardener might have gotten an ego trip, but all the poor bloody tree got was a lot of suffering.

I don't agree. We can blithely free-wheel through life with little thought when times are easy, but it's when we hit a rough patch that we are inclined to evaluate  what we really care about. We are all thrilled when our lives produce something that is good. So many have comfortable wealth but little meaning to their lives. I am hopeful that this will be a little turning point for many who will look at the reason for living as not just some hedonistic party. I believe that most people are intrinsically good, well meaning and kind but they tend to get sacrificed in the rush all around them for position, power, wealth and fame in varying degrees. Life is so much more if the blinkers could just be removed.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=23306 time=1588488566 user_id=63
I think life will be a little different after this pandemic

I think some people are going to find people a lot less tolerant.

I wouldn't want to be a chinese takeaway owner for a start.

In my experience people have been a lot less tolerant since May 2010.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

I think life will be a little different after this pandemic

I think some people are going to find people a lot less tolerant.

I wouldn't want to be a chinese takeaway owner for a start.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=23254 time=1588418274 user_id=54
There is a story about an olive tree that grew and grew until it was massive but it bore hardly any olives. A new gardener arrived and started to prune the tree hard and the tree begged him to stop, but the gardener pointed out that the pruning would enhance its harvest. The tree wept. After the pruning was complete the tree was small in comparison to what it felt was his former glory and he felt insignificant and humble, but the rain fell and the sun shone and the gardener visited regularly to fertilise the soil around its base. Gradually as time passed the tree realised that rather than being insignificant his branches were laden with the best olives he had seen for years.

The gardener came back to harvest his crop and the tree understood why there had been pain and humility and that size and height and pride were not all that is necessary in life to be valuable and worthy.

I look at the troubles that surround us and far from the oft wailed cry of why? If there was a a God He wouldn't do this, I see a chance for us all to realise that humility, care and love for others,  service to those not as able as ourselves no matter what form that takes, is what really matters in this life. Will life be just a little bit different after this pandemic?

Dunno so much about that Toots.It was the gardener that wanted the olives not the tree, which could survive quite happily without producing any fruit. So the gardener might have gotten an ego trip, but all the poor bloody tree got was a lot of suffering.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

There is a story about an olive tree that grew and grew until it was massive but it bore hardly any olives. A new gardener arrived and started to prune the tree hard and the tree begged him to stop, but the gardener pointed out that the pruning would enhance its harvest. The tree wept. After the pruning was complete the tree was small in comparison to what it felt was his former glory and he felt insignificant and humble, but the rain fell and the sun shone and the gardener visited regularly to fertilise the soil around its base. Gradually as time passed the tree realised that rather than being insignificant his branches were laden with the best olives he had seen for years.

The gardener came back to harvest his crop and the tree understood why there had been pain and humility and that size and height and pride were not all that is necessary in life to be valuable and worthy.

I look at the troubles that surround us and far from the oft wailed cry of why? If there was a a God He wouldn't do this, I see a chance for us all to realise that humility, care and love for others,  service to those not as able as ourselves no matter what form that takes, is what really matters in this life. Will life be just a little bit different after this pandemic?