Men are less likely to wear masks – another sign that toxic masculinity kills

Started by Borchester, May 19, 2020, 11:22:35 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=25220 time=1589975205 user_id=62

So forget about masks. The sun is shining and that kills all know germs.

The Sun kills some bacteria and viruses.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=25202 time=1589932315 user_id=98
A cloth mask is 10-30% effective at a push.

IIRC a surgical one is 60%. And an N95 is 95% effective on 0.1-0.3 micron particles.

Seeing as N95's are going for £200 for 30, and if they're not completely sold out as they often are, is it any wonder that people are taking risks?

Wearing a cloth mask is like having a seatbelt that works as little as 10% of the time.

It's just a horrible idea.

Now if N95's weren't marked up so high and were easily available, do you not think more folks wouldn't be wearing them?

Quite.

The thing about masks is that folk get confused with operating theatres and such. Barry's information is more up to date than mine, but as I recall they were never moved during any medical procedure, which is why you get that popular cliche of the nurse using some instrument or other to scratch the doctor's nose. If the masks are moved (which happens a lot because the bloody things are uncomfortable) then the bugs flow in and out and that is you buggered.

The other thing is that they are only part of the deal. If you want to kit yourself out properly you need overalls, gloves and (often forgotten) the wellie boots or whatever the current substitute is. And then, provided that the surrounding area has been completely sterilised,  you should be safe to go out.

As far as I can see, ten out of every eleven fatalities occur in the 70+ age range which means  that the ones most at risk are Pappy and me. Pappy won't die until the entire Tory Party is arrested and sentenced to years and years by a totally unbiased jury of Cornish Crusties whom Boris Johnson has threatened with work and I can't go anywhere until my eldest grand daughter has gotten her PHd in Maths or Physics and a soft job with tenure at a decent middle ranking uni. And since she is only 15 that might take at least another decade.

So forget about masks. The sun is shining and that kills all know germs.
Algerie Francais !

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry post_id=25209 time=1589966622 user_id=51
Toxic masculinity is obviously some term dreamt up by a toxix feminist?

It is "obviously" not.

Toxic masculinity was a term used by Shepard Bliss when describing the mythopoetic men's movement. Many papers discussing this are available for free.

When someone says " I'm not going to wear a mask, I'm a real man" etc, do you think the root problem is perceptions of masculinity, or feminism?
Don't believe everything you think.

cromwell

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=25202 time=1589932315 user_id=98

IIRC a surgical one is 60%. And an N95 is 95% effective on 0.1-0.3 micron particles.

Seeing as N95's are going for £200 for 30, and if they're not completely sold out as they often are, is it any wonder that people are taking risks?

Wearing a cloth mask is like having a seatbelt that works as little as 10% of the time.

Now if N95's weren't marked up so high and were easily available, do you not think more folks wouldn't be wearing them?

Bought n95's £3 apiece and worth every penny
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Toxic masculinity is obviously some term dreamt up by a toxix feminist?

Anyway, me and Mrs have made some useless cloth masks, just in case the government enforce the wearing of them.

As someone who believes themselves immune, wearing a mask will not protect me or others.

It will comply with the law, if and when that law is enforced, and it will give other people a sense of safety if I wear one. That is all.
† The end is nigh †

Hyperduck Quack Quack

My observation locally is that more men are wearing masks than women.

But probably there are more men than women with showing flippant attitude to covid-19

If you're wearing a facemask to prevent you catching covid-19 and you encounter another person who's also wearing one but happens to already be infected,  you've got double protection. Their mask is reducing the risk of virus escaping and your mask is reducing the risk of any viruses that do escape being inhaled by you.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=25194 time=1589927223 user_id=48
No I won't man up,I wear a mask when I go near many of the half wits who believe this whole virus is a scam and only exists in the imagination.

Quite.  I have to go out today and  will be wearing a face shield, facemask, and disposable gloves.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

+++

Nalaar

Of all the cognitively misguided "Real men" memes the idea that 'real men should not wear masks' has to be one of the most absurd.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=25194 time=1589927223 user_id=48
No I won't man up,I wear a mask when I go near many of the half wits who believe this whole virus is a scam and only exists in the imagination.

Quite right Ollie. I expect you to show a greater sense of responsibility than me.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester post_id=25193 time=1589926955 user_id=62
masculinity kills

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/16/men-masks-coronavirus-protests-masculinity-kills">//%20https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/16/men-masks-coronavirus-protests-masculinity-kills%20

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Algerie Francais !