Government back up for key people.

Started by papasmurf, May 26, 2020, 06:29:19 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=26470 time=1590583909 user_id=98
The Russian GRU agents he 'made promises to' at Samara in the 1990s perhaps? Poisoned sun umbrellas?

Frankly I have always been puzzled how Cummings got a security clearance.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=26469 time=1590583240 user_id=89
They can't know what he doesn't tell them. If he was in fear of his life before he thought he had Covid-19 he should have informed the duty office who would have had him removed to a place of safety. (Or at least that he how it used to work.)

The Russian GRU agents he 'made promises to' at Samara in the 1990s perhaps? Poisoned sun umbrellas?
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=26464 time=1590582420 user_id=70
Did No10 know Cummings felt his family was at risk and was about to do a bunk...?

They can't know what he doesn't tell them. If he was in fear of his life before he thought he had Covid-19 he should have informed the duty office who would have had him removed to a place of safety. (Or at least that he how it used to work.)

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=26306 time=1590480633 user_id=89
Have you ever tried to get any help from social services quickly? It isn't going to happen.

This thread is about why was the government backup not available to Cummings. That is the 24/7/365 government duty office that key government people used to be issued the phone number for.  As someone with direct access to the Prime Minister,  (That is a shorter list than many might think,) Cummings should have had been given the telephone number of the duty office in case of such emergencies.

Much as I think Cummings is a moron where was the duty of care from 10 Downing street?

Did No10 know Cummings felt his family was at risk and was about to do a bunk...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=26284 time=1590479203 user_id=116
The point is social services was avaliable for Cummings

Have you ever tried to get any help from social services quickly? It isn't going to happen.

This thread is about why was the government backup not available to Cummings. That is the 24/7/365 government duty office that key government people used to be issued the phone number for.  As someone with direct access to the Prime Minister,  (That is a shorter list than many might think,) Cummings should have had been given the telephone number of the duty office in case of such emergencies.

Much as I think Cummings is a moron where was the duty of care from 10 Downing street?

Javert

These procedures are still in place - there were people on the TV news yesterday asking why he didn't use them.

B0ycey

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=26279 time=1590478923 user_id=89
Best of luck with that in an emergency. This thread is where was the government backup for Cummings, that used to be available 24/7/365.

Why is it not there now?

The point is social services was avaliable for Cummings on top of the other privileges he would have had as he was part of government so his child was safe. In fact, being that the aide seem more important than government reputation - especially that of Johnsons judgement, he may even be the government so his Child was really safe!

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=26275 time=1590478691 user_id=116
Well child social services have existed even during lockdown Papasmurf.

Best of luck with that in an emergency. This thread is where was the government backup for Cummings, that used to be available 24/7/365.

Why is it not there now?

B0ycey

Well child social services have existed even during lockdown Papasmurf. The child was in no risk - or at a reduced risk compared to others around the entire country I should say. And are we to pretend that the Cummings privilege didn't actually open up more avenues? The excuse was bad enough, but now we have more breaches. Although I will say I don't buy any of the BS, despite them being worse than the truth.

From what I am seeing of the Tory strategy, it is now to ride the wave out. That is they are not addressing the actual questions given by the press but to repeat the narrative. The childcare nonsense might have had a clause, regardless whether it was really there or not. But there is no such loophole for test driving your eyesight. And it isn't a question whether Cummings broke his own advice, but how much credibility the government loses now.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=26268 time=1590476175 user_id=63
As a "special adviser" I am not sure if he would qualify for the sort of assistance an MP would get.

I was not commenting about MPs. As  far as I am aware they have never routinely had that 24/7/365 emergency back up available.

Government ministers and key people have.  The emergency back up used to be available for senior people with access to sensitive information.

(Even senior scientists at the then Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food at the research centre in Lowestoft. Don't bother to ask.)

I am wondering if such emergency 24/7/365 help is still available and if not why not.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=26264 time=1590474206 user_id=89
Would he though? That is why I started the thread. I know such help used to e available but is it now?

As a "special adviser" I am not sure if he would qualify for the sort of assistance an MP would get.

How far back are you looking to go. All sorts of help of this sort for elected politicians was available a mere decade ago.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=26263 time=1590474084 user_id=88
Exactly, he paints himself as having had no other options in difficult circumstances.

He would have had access to the whole multitude of government assistance.

Would he though? That is why I started the thread. I know such help used to e available but is it now?

BeElBeeBub

Exactly, he paints himself as having had no other options in difficult circumstances.

He would have had access to the whole multitude of government assistance.

Worried about security at home?  Quick call and the police will deal with it up to and I clouding armed officers outside and even relocating you to a "safe house" if required.

Unsure about the exact interpretation of the government advice you helped create?  Call the AG, or the DPP.

Need assistance with child care or medical help. Pretty sure that's covered.

He says his circumstances were "exceptional" yet the only exceptional thing was was the amount of support he had available to him compared to the average family with one child.

papasmurf

One thing puzzling me about the Cummings affair was why did Cummings who has free unfettered access to number 10 Downing Street have no emergency back up available to him from government.

There used to be a 24/7/365 duty office whose phone number would be issued to people in sensitive positions to call in case of any emergency including family emergencies. (That did include isolation and medical assistance.)

It appears to me the government has failed in its duty of care for Cummings.