What a surprise - food standards being dropped for US deal

Started by BeElBeeBub, June 04, 2020, 04:24:38 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=27920 time=1591356157 user_id=88
The US rationale is that some bacteria is perfectly fine, even salmonella, because you are going to cook it.

If that were true there would never be any food poisoning from under cooked meat ever.

That is self evidently wrong.  Food gets under cooked/cross contaminated all the time at which point you are relying on the quality of the food before you cooked it.

If there is a higher % of food in the supply chain that will make you sick if not cooked correctly then there will be more cases of food poisoning.

Your two first sentences make no sense together.

It is a fact that many raw foods in the uk have some degree of contamination. It is this fact that drives the advice to pregnant women that there is a whole range of things they should avoid eating without ensuring they are WELL cooked so as to be sure those bugs ARE killed in the cooking process
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=27785 time=1591284444 user_id=89
Foo standards? If American food is let it it will be poo standards.

In my limited experience, the US excels at fast food, grills and seafood. Unfortunately, it's badly imitated elsewhere, and most of the genuine US outlets that emigrate are chains from the industrialised end of the market...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27961 time=1591368203 user_id=99
"No. I have made it perfectly clear, and indeed this is something on which all members of the Government are agreed"

https://news.sky.com/story/gove-rules-out-imports-of-us-chlorine-chicken-in-post-brexit-trade-deal-10962562">//https://news.sky.com/story/gove-rules-out-imports-of-us-chlorine-chicken-in-post-brexit-trade-deal-10962562

Doesn't seem very confusing to me.

That's what Gove said , what the people doing the talking said was completely different . I think your clucking at straws on this matter Nalaar .

papasmurf

Just found this:-

More at link:-

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2020/05/report-says-u-s-is-failing-food-safety-101-incidence-of-illnesses-still-increasing/">https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2020/05/ ... ncreasing/">https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2020/05/report-says-u-s-is-failing-food-safety-101-incidence-of-illnesses-still-increasing/

Report says U.S. is failing food safety 101; incidence of illnesses still increasing

By Coral Beach on May 1, 2020

Attempts to reduce food poisoning are failing as the U.S. incidence of foodborne illnesses continues to increase. Infections from five of eight pathogens tracked by the CDC are on the rise.

Initial analysis of data comparing the period from 2016-2018 with numbers for 2019 (see table below) shows that the federal government's Healthy People 2020 targets for reducing foodborne illness will not be met, according to the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=27957 time=1591367721 user_id=53
From What I recall Gove as Environment sec was voicing an opinion .Liam Fox was Trade sec and was uncommitted on wether Chicken would be on the table so to speak . Maybe confusing for some looking for a definitive answer but that's the Torys for you

"No. I have made it perfectly clear, and indeed this is something on which all members of the Government are agreed"

https://news.sky.com/story/gove-rules-out-imports-of-us-chlorine-chicken-in-post-brexit-trade-deal-10962562">//https://news.sky.com/story/gove-rules-out-imports-of-us-chlorine-chicken-in-post-brexit-trade-deal-10962562

Doesn't seem very confusing to me.
Don't believe everything you think.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27932 time=1591362581 user_id=99
and if it so happens that this "bargaining" requires lying to the public, then so be it?

From What I recall Gove as Environment sec was voicing an opinion .Liam Fox was Trade sec and was uncommitted on wether Chicken would be on the table so to speak . Maybe confusing for some looking for a definitive answer but that's the Torys for you

Nalaar

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=27930 time=1591361202 user_id=53
When negotiating a deal you always say things that can be used to bargain with . ''We wont under any circumstances have your chicken''  means we will if we get X and Y .

and if it so happens that this "bargaining" requires lying to the public, then so be it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27926 time=1591357875 user_id=99
Why was Gove so vocal about not accepting that we would reduce our standards to allow this chicken a few short years ago?

When negotiating a deal you always say things that can be used to bargain with . ''We wont under any circumstances have your chicken''  means we will if we get X and Y .

Barry

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27926 time=1591357875 user_id=99
Why was Gove so vocal about not accepting that we would reduce our standards to allow this chicken a few short years ago?

Don't ask me. Perhaps he had not read this forum or its predecessor. Perhaps a few short years is an oxymoron in politics when a week is a long time.
† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry post_id=27925 time=1591357617 user_id=51
It's not even about food hygiene really, is it? It's about protectionism within the EU, as they don't want to import chicken from the USA.

The EU agree that chlorine washed chicken is acceptable, but they keep their rule because of their "beliefs".

https://fullfact.org/europe/does-eu-say-its-safe-eat-chicken-rinsed-chlorine/">//https://fullfact.org/europe/does-eu-say-its-safe-eat-chicken-rinsed-chlorine/

Amusing line in that link:

I wonder if that was intentional.  :lol:

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=27877 time=1591348650 user_id=53
If food is cooked properly how it is washed or not washed is irrelevant . Ive spent many a vacation is the US and never had any problems with the food .

No ,its not what happens post mortem but about animal welfare that is the issue for me . Issues that make food production cheaper may be good for me when I sit down for lunch at Applebee's but maybe not so for British farmers facing competition of cheap imports .

Its not really that big a problem for a bi lateral trade deal to overcome ,its only when the EU try to get involved that more chapters  are added to the deal .

We can not go down the road of taking the sensitivities of the EU into consideration when making trade deals with others .  The whole point of leaving is that their nonsense becomes irrelevant .

:Patriot:

It's not even about food hygiene really, is it? It's about protectionism within the EU, as they don't want to import chicken from the USA.

The EU agree that chlorine washed chicken is acceptable, but they keep their rule because of their "beliefs".

https://fullfact.org/europe/does-eu-say-its-safe-eat-chicken-rinsed-chlorine/">//https://fullfact.org/europe/does-eu-say-its-safe-eat-chicken-rinsed-chlorine/

Amusing line in that link:
QuoteThat means the UK, as an EU member, currently imports a paltry amount from the US.

I wonder if that was intentional.  :lol:
† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester post_id=27881 time=1591349136 user_id=62
I think that is why most of us cook our chicken before eating it.

Clearly things are different in the West Country

The US rationale is that some bacteria is perfectly fine, even salmonella, because you are going to cook it.

If that were true there would never be any food poisoning from under cooked meat ever.

That is self evidently wrong.  Food gets under cooked/cross contaminated all the time at which point you are relying on the quality of the food before you cooked it.

If there is a higher % of food in the supply chain that will make you sick if not cooked correctly then there will be more cases of food poisoning.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=27910 time=1591354657 user_id=63
Food standards? Or Welfare standards.

The headline you put up does not sit well with the first paragraph of the article text which says specifically it is WELFARE standards that are being lowered.

So which is it ?

And why does a country that inside the EU and outside it for literally centuries have the moral ground to whinge about a final welfare while it allies the jews to slaughter animals in kosher slaughterhouses. And why forvthat matter is there such a fuss about halal ones but never a peep about the kosher ones that prepared the meat for a string of prime ministers and loads of front benches going back centuries .....

the two things are interlinked.

It's a fundamental difference in philosophy

The US doesn't worry about sanitation during the rearing process because it washes everything with biocides.  They don't bother ensuring that salads aren't irrigated with water containing e.coli because they will wash it later etc

The UK takes the approach it's better to rely on preventing the contamination in the first place than to rely on washing it off after.

There is evidence the US approach does result in more food poisoning cases (often with salads - they don't have mandatory testing for e.coli in their irrigation water, so any failure in the washing process can lead to contaminated products)

johnofgwent

Food standards? Or Welfare standards.

The headline you put up does not sit well with the first paragraph of the article text which says specifically it is WELFARE standards that are being lowered.

So which is it ?

And why does a country that inside the EU and outside it for literally centuries have the moral ground to whinge about a final welfare while it allies the jews to slaughter animals in kosher slaughterhouses. And why forvthat matter is there such a fuss about halal ones but never a peep about the kosher ones that prepared the meat for a string of prime ministers and loads of front benches going back centuries .....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=27900 time=1591351263 user_id=62
Well, sort of. I got as far as the bit about the Tories begging Trump to lace baby milk with rat poison and then send it to the UK where Boris would take personal charge of distributing it to single mums on council estates and then my eyes started to glaze over.

I am not saying that it is a bad idea, but I have heard it before.  :D

Borchester stop being an effing idiot. You are a waste of time. If you wish to remain in ignorance that is very much your problem.

I posted those links to serious research to inform people.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe