Organ donation - Thought Experiment

Started by Nalaar, June 05, 2020, 03:14:07 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27994 time=1591376891 user_id=99
The question could be modified as a military question - If you where stood in a room with 3 other people, beside a door, and a grenade was thrown into the room, and to had the choice to dive on the grenade, killing your self and saving the other 3, or you could dive out of the room by the door, saving yourself and killing the others, what option should be taken.

In both cases you are the decision maker, and you chose if you live or the others do.

In this case its a big shout of take cover and its every man for himself .

As I said previously nobody is going to kill themselves ,even the guy who dives on a grenade (has this ever actually happened outside the action movies?)  is hoping the thing doesn't go off

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=28014 time=1591391002 user_id=63
They die. I live. Both scenarios.

Why ?

Because every politician would do that.

Which brings me to.

Are they politicians??

Or even better, children of politicians??

If so I present my credentisls as a still licenced vivisectionist and prepare their organs myself.

Without killing them first, without anaesthesia, and with a live stream video feed.

That reminds me of this:-

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28009 time=1591387488 user_id=48
Doing what,spending a life fantasising on euthanising tories or witnessing their downfall and imprisonment?

That only occupies about five minutes a day.

Nalaar

Quote from: Javert post_id=28010 time=1591387814 user_id=64
I'm tempted to say that I would conclude that I must be in the wrong hospital!

Obviously in the first case I would not kill myself to save 3 others in that scenario, and I can't imagine anyone else doing so, unless the others were their own children, and even then probably not.

In the second case, I would hope that I would not have 3 people killed to save myself.

Is there a number of people that you think would convince you, if not three, thirty? etc.

And yeah I think it's more expected that someone would kill themselves to save the life/lives of their family, which in itself can be represented in a different scenario.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27994 time=1591376891 user_id=99
The question could be modified as a military question - If you where stood in a room with 3 other people, beside a door, and a grenade was thrown into the room, and to had the choice to dive on the grenade, killing your self and saving the other 3, or you could dive out of the room by the door, saving yourself and killing the others, what option should be taken.

In both cases you are the decision maker, and you chose if you live or the others do.

Throw them on to the grenade, then butcher them for whatever money the spare parts will fetch.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27947 time=1591366447 user_id=99
Below I present a small thought experiment that I invite others to think about, and post if you like. I've tried to keep the details as clean as possible.

- - -

You go for a hospital appointment and while there discover that you are a perfect organ match for 3 dying people. One needs a heart, the second a Liver, and the third two lungs.

You can chose be euthanised, and donate your organs to the other 3 people. Alternatively you can choose not to donate and they will die. Do you feel there is a moral pressure to prefer 3 other lives over yours?

Also consider an alternative scenario. You are in hospital, suffering from multiple organ failure, you need a new heart, liver, and two lungs. You discover that their are 3 matching donors who are in for routine checkups.

You can chose to have these people euthanised, and have their organs donated to you. alternatively you can choose to do nothing and you will die. Do you feel there is a moral pressure to prefer 3 other lives over yours?

In both cases you are the only decision maker.

What decisions do you make in each case, and if they differ outcome - why?

They die. I live. Both scenarios.

Why ?

Because every politician would do that.

Which brings me to.

Are they politicians??

Or even better, children of politicians??

If so I present my credentisls as a still licenced vivisectionist and prepare their organs myself.

Without killing them first, without anaesthesia, and with a live stream video feed.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Javert

I'm tempted to say that I would conclude that I must be in the wrong hospital!

Obviously in the first case I would not kill myself to save 3 others in that scenario, and I can't imagine anyone else doing so, unless the others were their own children, and even then probably not.

In the second case, I would hope that I would not have 3 people killed to save myself.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=27951 time=1591366924 user_id=89
I think you really do need to get a life.

Doing what,spending a life fantasising on euthanising tories or witnessing their downfall and imprisonment?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nalaar

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=27992 time=1591376004 user_id=53
Not really .Given different scenarios  I think people are actually the opposite ,naturally inclined to give their lives to save others that is .

Our  Military and the actions of our front line services are testament to that .

Maybe your question is too clear cut that your dead where in real life we need to have a chance of survival when saving others .

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27975 time=1591371131 user_id=99
I would assume this is most peoples reaction, being able to give your own life to save multiple others is just not something we're naturally inclined to

Not really .Given different scenarios  I think people are actually the opposite ,naturally inclined to give their lives to save others that is .

Our  Military and the actions of our front line services are testament to that .

Maybe your question is too clear cut that your dead where in real life we need to have a chance of survival when saving others .

Nalaar

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=27972 time=1591370415 user_id=53
They are quite welcome to my bits and pieces when I don't need them anymore but otherwise they will have to take their chances as do we all .(which cover scenario 2 )

I would assume this is most peoples reaction, being able to give your own life to save multiple others is just not something we're naturally inclined to

Streetwalker

They are quite welcome to my bits and pieces when I don't need them anymore but otherwise they will have to take their chances as do we all .(which cover scenario 2 )

T00ts

I wish I hadn't read that. You really worry me. You need help.

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=27956 time=1591367465 user_id=98This was a silly question, really.

It can certainly be read that way.

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=27955 time=1591367383 user_id=98
I take it that means you won't be donating then?

You blue monster.

I can't anyway for various medical reasons.