UK will lose respect overseas with Boris Johnson’s ‘mistaken’ decision to scrap

Started by Borchester, June 16, 2020, 10:24:39 PM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on June 20, 2020, 11:06:13 PM
Quote from: Good old on June 20, 2020, 10:30:45 PM
Quote from: Nick on June 20, 2020, 06:04:43 PM
Quote from: Good old on June 18, 2020, 05:30:54 PM

One things that's for certain is Boris, better get right on top of his brief in future. Relying on . Waffle, Bluster, and A few classical quotes might have demolished , the pedestrian, politically  tarnished, Corbyn. But it's  a sharpe top lawyer he is up against now.
If  Boris, can't curb his popularity act, his tousled hair and expansive personality won't keep his head above water for long.

Think you remainers wear tinted specs. All this about Boris relying on waffle, his hair blah blah blah, it's just ridiculous.

Well tinted glasses or otherwise his flaws are glaringly obvious..I recommend spec savers for those who still can't see the holes in his  game.

I don't agree at all. BJ has done well to even be in No 10 after he was ill. He should have taken much longer off. The Labour party is hoping that Starmer is Father Christmas, the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy all rolled into one, but sadly the truth is that he is as dull as ditch water and pedestrian to a fault. His offering on the Reading fracas was a case in point. He would do better being quiet. The Labour party is more akin to the Titanic. Those on the bridge trying not to panic whilst below decks the water is rising fast. They are well on the way to sinking without trace.

That's a very personal take on what makes a good PM, and what doesn't. And your very welcome to it.
As far as I'm concerned in the  longer term the jury is still out on Starmer.  My tinted glasses have yet to detect him actually making a good PM. What I see is someone good enough to expose the , Blonde buffoon, for the shallow entity he is. That in its self is not enough, so we will see. Their appearance ,I think is an extremely poor  pointer to what their actual abilities might be.
I will not speak up for some one I consider inept just because the opposition might not have instant answers to the problems this country faces. My only concern right now ,is Boris, is not the answer to the immense problems we face as a country. Maybe the Tories ,should examine their own ranks for an up grade ? Though that doesn't fill me full of great expectation.

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on June 20, 2020, 11:06:13 PM

I don't agree at all. BJ has done well to even be in No 10 after he was ill. He should have taken much longer off. The Labour party is hoping that Starmer is Father Christmas, the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy all rolled into one, but sadly the truth is that he is as dull as ditch water and pedestrian to a fault. His offering on the Reading fracas was a case in point. He would do better being quiet. The Labour party is more akin to the Titanic. Those on the bridge trying not to panic whilst below decks the water is rising fast. They are well on the way to sinking without trace.

Pretty much toots.

I think you will find the usual suspects are projecting what they would like to happen in their fantasy world compared to what is actually happening in the real world.

I see already starmer is beig dubbed as "the new quiet man" of uk politics. Dull as ditchwater as you say , wooden in his delivery , and already on things like schools going back in England , he is sitting on the fence to hide the massive infighting in his party.

Its clear the blairites and the momentum types within the party cant work together , and are on the verge of tearing what is left of labour apart.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Quote from: Good old on June 20, 2020, 10:30:45 PM

One things that's for certain is Boris, better get right on top of his brief in future. Relying on . Waffle, Bluster, and A few classical quotes might have demolished , the pedestrian, politically  tarnished, Corbyn. But it's  a sharpe top lawyer he is up against now.
If  Boris, can't curb his popularity act, his tousled hair and expansive personality won't keep his head above water for long.

Think you remainers wear tinted specs. All this about Boris relying on waffle, his hair blah blah blah, it's just ridiculous.

Well tinted glasses or otherwise his flaws are glaringly obvious..I recommend spec savers for those who still can't see the holes in his  game.

Good old

papasmurf

The problem is it is accurate, not ridiculous. If I were religious I would wonder what terrible sin the population of Britain has done collectively to be cursed with Bojo The Clown as Prime Minister.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on June 19, 2020, 10:15:15 AM

Thanks for highlighting the fact that change could mathematically be acchieved  by Labour ,without the Scots vote . But I was thinking very much in current terms . And currently Starmer ,gets little help from Scotland, In Blair's, day it was forty odd seats in his pocket. Even if Starmer, makes progress, and I think he will, I struggle to see how in the present day political climate he will do more than close the gap in England. This in turn leads me to think that forty Scots ,votes would be the key for  turning   the key to number ten. I appreciate the Scots, vote is gone for Labour.

I know what you are saying , but the fact remains labour have traditionally won at westminster when they have won in england , and as we both agree , this looks as unlikely as ever.

There has been a tiny starmer bounce in scotland , but that has only taken them back to where they were under corbyn in December.

In current terms, labour are struggling badly.

Good old

Quote from: Thomas on June 19, 2020, 07:46:15 AM
Quote from: Good old on June 18, 2020, 10:18:58 AM
,BUT.  As Thomas, says its Scotland, without Scotland ,Tory incompetence may continue for some time yet.

Not really.

Labour doesnt need scotland to win at westminster. It helps of course , but the stats show england gets the government at westminster it votes for.

heres the last three labour governments at westminster.....
1997 Labour govt (Blair)
———————————–
Labour majority: 179
Without Scottish MPs: 139
NO CHANGE

2001 Labour govt (Blair)
———————————–
Labour majority: 167
Without Scottish MPs: 129
NO CHANGE

2005 Labour govt (Blair/Brown)
——————————————–
Labour majority: 66
Without Scottish MPs:  43
NO CHANGE

On one occassion  in uk political history, scottish votes turned what would have been a conservative majority into a labour government in 1964. Scottish votes by and large make absolutely no difference to who is elected at westminster.

The point i was making earlier when i included scotland in my thinking was where exactly is labours seats in a forthcoming general election actually going to come from to unseat johnson and the tories?

Where are they seriously challenging in england?

Scotland has changed politically since the dark days of the feeble fifty . While England is still playing labour tory tennis , and divided along brexit lines , scotland is fighting a unionist nationalist battle , and labour are fighting along with the tories  and liberals for a share of the ever diminishing unionist vote. Hence partly why they are on 18% and in fourth place , with a further third of their voters saying they will vote scot indy.

First they need to win back thier northern english fiefdom , which i would say isnt assured , nevermind challenge in the tory held marginals.

I just can't see (uk wide) where labour get the numbers from to unseat the conservatives , especially with someone as wooden in his delivery as starmer , and all the anti democratic baggage he carries.

Time will tell.

Thanks for highlighting the fact that change could mathematically be acchieved  by Labour ,without the Scots vote . But I was thinking very much in current terms . And currently Starmer ,gets little help from Scotland, In Blair's, day it was forty odd seats in his pocket. Even if Starmer, makes progress, and I think he will, I struggle to see how in the present day political climate he will do more than close the gap in England. This in turn leads me to think that forty Scots ,votes would be the key for  turning   the key to number ten. I appreciate the Scots, vote is gone for Labour.

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on June 18, 2020, 10:18:58 AM
,BUT.  As Thomas, says its Scotland, without Scotland ,Tory incompetence may continue for some time yet.

Not really.

Labour doesnt need scotland to win at westminster. It helps of course , but the stats show england gets the government at westminster it votes for.

heres the last three labour governments at westminster.....
1997 Labour govt (Blair)
———————————–
Labour majority: 179
Without Scottish MPs: 139
NO CHANGE

2001 Labour govt (Blair)
———————————–
Labour majority: 167
Without Scottish MPs: 129
NO CHANGE

2005 Labour govt (Blair/Brown)
——————————————–
Labour majority: 66
Without Scottish MPs:  43
NO CHANGE

On one occassion  in uk political history, scottish votes turned what would have been a conservative majority into a labour government in 1964. Scottish votes by and large make absolutely no difference to who is elected at westminster.

The point i was making earlier when i included scotland in my thinking was where exactly is labours seats in a forthcoming general election actually going to come from to unseat johnson and the tories?

Where are they seriously challenging in england?

Scotland has changed politically since the dark days of the feeble fifty . While England is still playing labour tory tennis , and divided along brexit lines , scotland is fighting a unionist nationalist battle , and labour are fighting along with the tories  and liberals for a share of the ever diminishing unionist vote. Hence partly why they are on 18% and in fourth place , with a further third of their voters saying they will vote scot indy.

First they need to win back thier northern english fiefdom , which i would say isnt assured , nevermind challenge in the tory held marginals.

I just can't see (uk wide) where labour get the numbers from to unseat the conservatives , especially with someone as wooden in his delivery as starmer , and all the anti democratic baggage he carries.

Time will tell.

patman post

^^^
There's a possibility the 1922 Committee could do a Charles Kennedy on Johnson unless he begins to look more like he's in charge...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Good old

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 18, 2020, 04:43:35 PM

Ha! You must see PMQs occurring in a parallel universe.

I don't wear rabid Tory blinkers like some on this forum. Starmer time after time caught Boris out because Boris just does not keep up to speed with current data, and that makes Boris look the bloody fool that he is.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 18, 2020, 10:30:05 AMDo you watch PMQs?  Starmer wipes the floor with Boris.
Ha! You must see PMQs occurring in a parallel universe.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on June 18, 2020, 11:59:21 AM
The alternative if you don't remember was Corbyn and his complete circus.

It's hard to imagine even them having people like Dom, Patel and Mogg doing & saying the silly things they have.

This lot are so bad they rival Jim Callaghan in the incompetence stakes.
+++

Borchester

Quote from: Borchester on June 16, 2020, 10:24:39 PM
foreign aid department, David Cameron warns

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-boris-johnson-david-cameron-foreign-aid-brexit-a9568756.html

If Dozy Dave had stood up for his country instead of kissing the arse of every foreigner he met, then he would not have lost their respect in the first place.
Algerie Francais !