End the triple lock?

Started by T00ts, June 20, 2020, 12:39:11 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on June 20, 2020, 01:12:58 PM

Aw come on Pappy life isn't so bad. You really should think better of people it would make your life so much better. Did you work and pay your dues - I bet you did - so you paid in for your pension. You can't help it that we are living longer than the pension was first designed for, but then we paid for the NHS too and worked hard to improve the lives of those following.  :)

Toots dont listen to the auld git.

Smurf was on the old forum not that long ago bragging about how he made a mint out of selling his humble abode in hertfordshire  to move to cornwall and how he and his wife have played and made loads of cash out of the nasty yookay financial system.

Now today he tells us him and his mrs are just about ok. ;D

His personal circumstances and morals change with the feckin wind. As long as forums like this exist to give him a platform to moan on , he is as happy as a pig in shit.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Good old

The problem with pensions only following inflation is ,it is just a percentage that doesn't truly reflect the Actual cost of living.
Beyond that percentage effect on a pension or indeed a wage is questionable simply because 1% of  £100 PW is only £1 , for someone  on £1000 PW  it is £10.  For a start  that ensures the gap widens in real terms, as a gallon of petrol and a loaf of bread cost just the same for one as the other. By the way I'm not assuming people can't count.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on June 20, 2020, 01:12:58 PM

Aw come on Pappy life isn't so bad. You really should think better of people it would make your life so much better.

My wife and I are OK (Just.) Many millions are not and the numbers will increase dramatically whist the current callous incompetent shower are in power.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on June 20, 2020, 01:06:51 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 20, 2020, 01:05:28 PM
I guess there has to be some protection simply because there will be those who consider the pension an unearned benefit who just might happily see pensioners reduced to single room living etc. No-one here of course. 😜

There are some on this forum who would like to see non earners homeless and living in "benders."

Aw come on Pappy life isn't so bad. You really should think better of people it would make your life so much better. Did you work and pay your dues - I bet you did - so you paid in for your pension. You can't help it that we are living longer than the pension was first designed for, but then we paid for the NHS too and worked hard to improve the lives of those following.  :)

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on June 20, 2020, 01:05:28 PM
I guess there has to be some protection simply because there will be those who consider the pension an unearned benefit who just might happily see pensioners reduced to single room living etc. No-one here of course. 😜

There are some on this forum who would like to see non earners homeless and living in "benders."

T00ts

Good old

Maybe they should instead consider the present pension is not by some way as good as many comparable  countries.
Possibly a short term suspension. But that's like opening the door ,for this lot.

Barry

Good topic.
Relevant article here:
https://www.yourmoney.com/retirement/fresh-threat-to-pension-triple-lock-as-furlough-will-skew-formul
I think that state pension should simply follow inflation and not be subject to special status. In times of boom (if we ever see another) they might be increased, but they can never be reduced.
To reduce pensions is political suicide, whichever party decides to do it.

I might start drawing mine next year!  ;D
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on June 20, 2020, 12:39:11 PM
The fear is that if Conservatives upset the older folk in the country and they will go out of power for ever.

Whilst not all OAPs vote Tory, many millions do.

T00ts

There has been a lot said that the elderly have been saved at a cost to the youth. There have been rumblings that the triple lock for pensions is under discussion as being inappropriate at this particular time. The fear is that if Conservatives upset the older folk in the country and they will go out of power for ever.
I don't know so much. I for one, am in favour of the pensioners, including me, doing their bit to help the country get on it's feet not just after Covid 19 but also once we finally leave the EU, so perhaps this is the right time. There are many pensioners who struggle but as long as those in need have their extra help I see no reason not to chip in if we can.

Am I a lonely voice in the widerness?