Should research results be ignored because of methods used.

Started by papasmurf, June 25, 2020, 03:44:21 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

A couple from my own experience

Modern decompression medicine owes much to the work of a guy who left bits of goat all over the inside of pressure vessels

You wouldn't have a cat in hell's idea what the sodding hell COVID19 was doing were it not for a Nazi Medic by the name of Hans Krebs after whom the metabolic cycle in the liver is named.

And my PERSONAL favourite

One of the animal rights bastards who firebombed my boss's boss and would have got me too wept like a fucking baby when he found his kid premature and in need of the steroid treatment those he firebombed (a) because they were using animals to perfect it and (b) because it was intended to save the lives of british troops (he was irish, of course). I found out because Ian - the guy who perfected the steroid, and whose car was two down from mine and sporting an incendiary device - was actually in the hospital in question and breaking various confidentiality rules of course let me know ...

I did ask if it were possible to allow him to have the benefit of his beliefs and watch his kid die like emma had.

Ian said that was harsh even for me. I don't think so myself. I think those who use violence to prevent the research should at the very least have their hypocrisy at accepting the results plastered all over arsebook every time. But i genuinely believe they should accept the consequences of their beliefs. I'd actually respect their opinion then.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on June 26, 2020, 04:45:16 PM
Facts are independent of the methods used to discover them.

That should be the case but it often isn't
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on June 26, 2020, 04:37:06 PM

Ah, tricky.

German research into hypothermia and the effects of phosgene gas were considered useful by the medical professional. Unfortunately they were obtained by SS doctors working on concentration camp victims so the researchers involved did not get the credit that they probably thought they deserved.

A lot of the results were ignored because of the way the research was done.
It is only in the last few years people who are rescued from the sea are lifted horizontally not vertically if hypothermia is suspected.

Nalaar

Facts are independent of the methods used to discover them.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on June 25, 2020, 03:44:21 PM
Should medical research results be ignored because of the inhumane methods used to get them?

Ah, tricky.

German research into hypothermia and the effects of phosgene gas were considered useful by the medical professional. Unfortunately they were obtained by SS doctors working on concentration camp victims so the researchers involved did not get the credit that they probably thought they deserved.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Should medical research results be ignored because of the inhumane methods used to get them?